• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What's Going On In the World of Garritan - The Latest Update

Share/Bookmark

What's Going On In the World of Garritan - The Latest Update

Over on the Garritan Forum we have been keeping folks constantly updated as to what is going on. I thought some of you in this section would like to know what is going on. Here's the Latest:

Concert and Marching Band

As many of you know, Concert and Marching Band is now shipping. There is a great deal of excitement in the band community over this library. Our first run sold out due to backorders and high demand. A new shipment is coming this week.

The band community is quite large. There are far more band programs in colleges and universities than any other instrumental group. The Garritan Concert and Marching Band Library is the only library of its kind filling a major void in the world of sample libraries. This library is programed to integrate in Finale 2008 and Sibelius 5. More information is available here - http://www.garritan.com/band.html I'll post a separate annoncement here.

GPO and JABB Updates and Boxed Versions

After a long wait, the Kontakt 2 Player updates are now available as a free download for all registered Personal Orchestra and Jazz/Big Band users. These new versions provide Mac Intel compatibility to Personal Orchestra and Jazz/Big Band. A number of new programming features and fixes have been added. And optimizations for Sibelius 5 and Finale 2008 are included.
    These new versions have also been replicated and all new boxed versions of GPO and JABB integratedthe Kontakt 2 Player and are now Mac Intel compatible.

Reason GPO Refill

The Personal Orchestra Refill for Propellerhead Reason is now available as a downloadable library. The library is a Reason Refill sample based instrument library for all versions of Reason, including the new Reason 4.0. This Refill is a lighter version of GPO that takes special advantage of the capabilities of Reason and integrates seamlessly with Propellerhead's NN-XT sample player. A formal announcement will be made soon and in the meantime you can find more information here - http://www.garritan.com/GPORefill.html

Authorized Steinway Piano

We are getting our final release candidate of the Authorized Steinway Piano library ready and this library is turning out better than we expected. Steinway has been involved every step of the way and is pleased with the product. Our new player has been very stable and performing very well. This is already one of my favorite libraries. We expect it to ship this fall.

General MIDI (GEM)

The GEM (General MIDI) library is just about there and we are in finale testing. It s being encoded and I'll provide more information soon. This library is a complete collection of General MIDI sounds integrated with the powerful Kontakt 2 Player sampling engine. It features the entire 128-instrument range of General MIDI sounds - punchy brass, funky basses, out of this world synth pads, wailing guitars, organs, gorgeous strings, striking pianos, ethnic instruments, sound effects, etc. This library will be of great benefit to those who work with general MIDI files.

Orchestral Strings 2, Stradivari, Gofriller, etc.

As previously posted in the last update, we were rethinking our strategy with regards to all of the strings. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the upcoming strings and the new player that will showcase them. We are working on implementing innovative and advanced technologies and adding new capabilities. When the time is right, I'll comment further

Choirs

Also, as previously posted, the Choir library is progressing just nicely. The upcoming Garritan Choirs comprise samples from members of one of the world's most well-known choirs. We are in R&D mode trying something totally different and will tell you more when the time is right. And yes, we do expect it to be able to sing words and lyrics.

Hal Leonard Distribution

We are pleased to announce that Hal Leonard, along with Sibelius and MakeMusic (see below), will be distributing Garritan libraries. Hal Leonard is the largest music publisher in the world and has an enormous selection of songs. They will be distributing our soundware and our upcoming educational content which integrates music technology. They will also be representing us at many trade shows and educational conferences throughout the world.

Hal Leonard represents some of the world's best known and most respected publishers, artists, writers and arrangers and has offices in New York, Milwaukee, Winona, MN, Melbourne, Australia, Hong Kong and London.

Sibelius 5 and Finale 2008 Include Garritan Soundsets and Distribution

Sibelius 5 and Finale 2008 are now shipping. Both bundle extensive new soundsets from the Garritan libraries from a variety of our existing and upcoming libraries.

Sibelius and Finale are also distributing our products (along with Hal Leonard as mentioned above) so musicians can purchase Concert & Marching Band, Jazz and Big Band and Personal Orchestra from them. Sibelius and Finale are beginning to receive stock of Concert & Marching Band, Jazz and Big Band K2, and Personal Orchestra K2. If you have pending orders you should be receiving them soon.

The full versions of Concert & Marching Band, Jazz and Big Band K2, and Personal Orchestra K2 libraries have been reprogrammed and optimized for Sibelius 5 and Finale 2008. Sibelius and Finale have also optimized their programs to interact with our libraries. There is a special notation folder in these libraries.

We have also developed the Sibelius World Instruments and Sibelius Choirs for Sibelius.

Sibelius GPO (the Sibelius branded version) users are entitled to a free update as well, existing users of GPO and JABB are entitled to an update that is optimized for Finale 2008 and Sibelius 5. These updates are available from the Native Instruments site.

The Garritan WIKI

We have a new WIKI that is serving as our Knowledgebase as well as Education and Tutorial Clearinghouse. Right now there is information about the update and members are contributing tutorials. The WIKI is open to everyone who wants to share their knowledge and experiences with their peers. Everyone can contribute and edit content. Please feel free to register and be involved. http://www.garritan.info/

New Free Courses

The Interactive Principles of Orchestration Class last year was a great success and has been adopted by a number of colleges. Chuck Israels’ Jazz Arranging Course and book are now done. It will be similar to the orchestration course with interactive scores. We are working on the formatting for the forum. We also have another orchestration course we are working on with some interesting interactivity. Soon we'll commence the new courses.

GPO Christmas Album 2007

DP Dan is doing a great job on putting this together this year's community Christmas album. This year's forum participants are busy working on their Christmas pieces. Previously, the coverage by the New York Times over the Garritan Community Christmas Album brought down our servers. This year's album will be the best yet. With Summer almost over, the time is right to start thinking about Christmas again.

------

That's the latest for now. Lots of things in the pipeline and some we have not mentioned. I'll do my best to keep with the tradition of transparency and keep everyone informed as to what is happening in due course. I am glad we got throught the long slog with the development difficulties of which some of you are aware.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will answer what I can.

Thanks to many of you for helping to get us where we are now. The best is still yet to come!

Gary Garritan

Re: What's Going On In the World of Garritan - The Latest Update

Hi Gary,

Though I dont yet own a Garritan library, I've been on the verge for quite some time- thank you for the updates! I cant wait to see what new tricks you have up your sleeve with the upcoming choir and strings libraries.

congrats on all of your success. You certainly deserve it!

Alex

Gary,

All that, and you didn't even mention the recent Sonar 7 deal.

Congratulations on making that happen. I hope it brings in lots of business!

Gary,

I have been waiting for your strings and new player,also. Wonder if you have enough information to give us an idea of what kind of computer it will take to run your entire projected program.
    best,
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

I'm very interested in the strings and choir... It seems they are pretty far off still, but I'm still eagerly awaiting your next orchestral strings effort.

Here's to hoping that it won't be mostly targeted the hobby/student market

I hate to be the guy who finds something to complain about (well, not really complaining...just kinda asking), but what about real spaces? You've obviosly got a lot happening, but it'd be nice to know if it's taken a backburner or been abandoned.

Best of luck with all the new stuff,

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    I'm very interested in the strings and choir... It seems they are pretty far off still, but I'm still eagerly awaiting your next orchestral strings effort.

Could not have worded it any more succinctly than this.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    Could not have worded it any more succinctly than this.
    We like hobby/student musicians and will continue to include them in our offerings along with professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    I hate to be the guy who finds something to complain about (well, not really complaining...just kinda asking), but what about real spaces? You've obviosly got a lot happening, but it'd be nice to know if it's taken a backburner or been abandoned.

Best of luck with all the new stuff,

Belbin
    Belbin,

Not taken as a compalint at all. We announced our intentions quite some time ago and it had taken a back burner. Now that the development difficulties are behind us Real Spaces is now one of the projects we will be focusing on.

Thanks for asking,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by jamiha
    Gary,

I have been waiting for your strings and new player,also. Wonder if you have enough information to give us an idea of what kind of computer it will take to run your entire projected program.
    best,
    tony h
    Hi Tony,
    You should be able to run the strings on one computer - mac or PC. Mac Intel or modern Pentium 4 recommended. We'll post more specs when we get closer to release.

Best,

Gary

Go Back to forum