• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Topic: Diabolic Tocatta

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,937

    Diabolic Tocatta

    Not likely to put you to sleep. A bit wild in parts. MP3 is GPO Steinway and Sonar.

    Diabolic Tocatta

    Richard


    21 Sep 07 The link now leads to the third and FINAL revision (mp3).
    Last edited by rwayland; 09-21-2007 at 04:19 AM. Reason: new mp3

  2. #2

    Re: Diabolic Tocatta

    Hi Richard,

    All tritones, except for the very end! The overall effect is a little bit like the Presto Misterioso from Alberto Ginastera's first piano sonata.

    And diabolic, not only in tonality, also but the required technique to play all those parallel tritones smoothly on the piano!

    I must say, I find this many tritones in a row tiring after a minute or so, and the persistent chromatic movement reminds me a little of those random tone generators all the old analog synths used to have. Nonetheless, it's an interesting effect in small doses. Also, you might want to check the last few notes for oversaturation. (I'm getting clipping on my system).

    On the bright side, I find the rhythm, dynamics,and motion of this quite artistic.

    Thanks for posting this adventuresome piece!

  3. #3
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,937

    Re: Diabolic Tocatta

    Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp
    Hi Richard,

    All tritones, except for the very end! The overall effect is a little bit like the Presto Misterioso from Alberto Ginastera's first piano sonata.

    And diabolic, not only in tonality, also but the required technique to play all those parallel tritones smoothly on the piano!

    I must say, I find this many tritones in a row tiring after a minute or so, and the persistent chromatic movement reminds me a little of those random tone generators all the old analog synths used to have. Nonetheless, it's an interesting effect in small doses. Also, you might want to check the last few notes for oversaturation. (I'm getting clipping on my system).

    On the bright side, I find the rhythm, dynamics,and motion of this quite artistic.

    Thanks for posting this adventuresome piece!
    Well, I don't know a thing about Ginastera so I shall have to look him up!


    Diabolic? You bet! Probably would exhaust anyone with the skill to play it. Tritone - was the tritone not formerly referred to as the devil in music?

    I don't find the tritones tiring (obviously, as I wrote them!) I would if both hands were playing the same chord, but in nearly all cases, they are a fith or more removed. If I could have created a good ending with trichords, I would have done so. But I could not make any trichord sequence sound final.The chromatic passages were in part included as a respite from the wide intervals. I don't know about the random tone generators. I never saw one or heard one.

    The levels are a little high, but I experienced no problem here. However, depending on connection, I will upload a new mp3 before I go to bed.

    I gave more attention to dynamics and expression in this piece than I usually do. All those tritones needed some help.

    Adventuresome piece? Sure is. That is why I like it so much.

    Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them. They make me think about what I have done, and what I might do in the future.

    Richard

    20 Sep 07 the link now leads to a new mp3, lower levels.

  4. #4

    Re: Diabolic Tocatta

    Wow Richard! I think this must be your best rendered piece yet. I think the attention that you paid to the dynamics in this piece makes it wonderful. I think you did fantastic job on this brooding, diabolically difficult piece.

    I understand your problems with the ending, but to be very honest, it does however still come as too much of a surprise to me, the change in texture and timbre is too sudden. It feels not quite comfortable. I don't know what you can do though.

    All things said and done, I still enjoyed this piece very much . Thank you.
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

  5. #5
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,937

    Re: Diabolic Tocatta

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisD

    I understand your problems with the ending, but to be very honest, it does however still come as too much of a surprise to me, the change in texture and timbre is too sudden. It feels not quite comfortable. I don't know what you can do though.
    Thanks, Louis. That ending stinks. The more I think about it, the worse it becomes. It disrupted my sleep last night. I will probably spend many hours working out a real ending. It will be short, but fit better, and sound final.

    Richard

  6. #6

    Re: Diabolic Tocatta

    richard
    I cannot even Imagine writing a compostion such as this and keep it musical at the same time......you did well..........I have enough of a hard time just staying tonal........................
    Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Diabolic Tocatta

    Hmmm, Diabolus in Musica, or some such… I’m sure some medieval music theorist would have a heart attack with this.

    Your music is always interesting. The expanded dynamic range brings a lot to this. I really liked listening to this.
    Trent P. McDonald

  8. #8

    Re: Diabolic Tocatta

    Heavens, what a difficult piece this is. To play, I mean. Did you really play this? Or is it just MIDI? Anyway, it is excellent. About tritones, you know that Liszt used them a lot.

    Go on, composing with this type of music. The second half could have a bit more dynamic changes to give the rhythm (how do you spell this word?) a change.

    Raymond

  9. #9

    Re: Diabolic Tocatta

    I've been listening to your music for a while, and especially your piano music. Just out of sheer curiosity, did you play this and then write it down, or did you just GPO write it. Because I know for most of your peices its actualy you performing them.

    Wowsers though. I started to listen to this the other day and I didn't get to finish it. I love the open scoring. So much space between the hands. I enjoy that open sound on piano, when done correctly. And you obviously know what your doing. Kudos!!!
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

    My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

  10. #10
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,937

    Re: Diabolic Tocatta

    Quote Originally Posted by tubajedimr
    I've been listening to your music for a while, and especially your piano music. Just out of sheer curiosity, did you play this and then write it down, or did you just GPO write it. Because I know for most of your peices its actualy you performing them.

    Wowsers though. I started to listen to this the other day and I didn't get to finish it. I love the open scoring. So much space between the hands. I enjoy that open sound on piano, when done correctly. And you obviously know what your doing. Kudos!!!
    Well, thanks to you, and to Raymond62. As for how I produced it, I sketched my ideas on manuscript paper, the old fashioned way. When I got a good shape for it, I transferred it to computer using my Fatar keyboard and elderly pianist's fingers, and finished it at the computer keyboard, with some occasional input from the Fatar.

    Since I input using the Fatar keyboard and the GPO Steinway using the same feel and accents as I would if I were playing my Baldwin grand, the sound can be quite realistic. When done, I sometimes vary the dynamics by computer, and also sometimes the tempo. I attribute the realistic sound to Gary's nice GPO Steinway, and my own (deteriorating) pianistic skills, and good ears (not deteriorating yet). I hope Gary is aware of this. I don't intentionally deceive people on this matter. Sometimes I do so inadvertently. The performance has deceived quite a few people, including my concert pianist friend.

    If I could afford a newer keyboard, I could do better, but I will hang on to this for a while yet. I am really anxiously awaiting the new GPO Authorized Steinway, which I think will be of terrific benefit to me -- that is, if I can afford it. I have not yet any idea of the cost of it.

    The ending to this tocatta was a weak point, and I spent much time this afternoon working on a new ending, which is now finished, and will be uploaded in a few more hours. I want to consider it a few dozen more times first.

    Richard

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •