• Register
  • Help

Topic: Found out how to kill the thump noises in Tascam's CVPiano

Found out how to kill the thump noises in Tascam's CVPiano

I stumbled on the way to kill the mechanical noise that was making the CVPiano unusuable for some people. (Those of you who know the GigaEditor interface or GVI already know this, but for me, this solution took some time to find.) The result, for me, after raising the volume of the lowest velocity samples, is a great sounding close-perspective piano. Getting rid of the release sound should also improve polyphony, since it cuts out one of the samples you play each time you strike a note.

There are actually two thumpish samples. One is a release sample and the other is a hammer-strike sample that is most audible if you raise the volume of the lowest velocity layer. The following steps will let you get rid of both or either or just reduce the volume of either.

(You may not have heard the thumps at all--if you keep the default settings, the Special velocity curve obscures the sound, since the curve is so deeply concave. However, if you choose another curve to make the soft strikes louder, the thump becomes more noticable. If you adjust the volumes of the three velocity layers, particularly the soft layer, the thumps can become so intrusive as to make the piano unusable.)

1. Once the intrument loads, click on the Edit tab.
    2. Be sure that you are not editing individual regions. Near the bottom, the drop boxes just above the keyboard should read: Midi (black on silver, not black on green), Relative, All Regions, All Splits.
    3. The Release thump is a separate sample indicated by the leftmost horizontal dirty yellow or bright yellow bar above and to the left of the keyboard. (Below the bars for the velocity layers.) To the left of this bar you will see the text RelTrig on a dropdown box button, incidating that this sample is triggered when you release the keys. Click on this LEFTMOST bar so it turns bright yellow.
    4. Click to the left on RelTrig and assign the control to something you won't use on a pianol such as Breathcontroller. (If you only want to reduce the volume of the release thump instead of killing it entirely, you must instead follow the same procedure you would use to raise the volume of a single velocity layer: Choose Stereo Pairs and Individual Regions from the dropdown boxes above the keyboard, select all of the keys, click on the dirty yellow horizontal bar for the release sample and then reduce its volume by just turning down the volume knob.)
    5. Play a note or two to hear that the release thump is gone.
    6. Click on the next bar to the right. This is the hammer-strike sample You may only hear it for the lowest velocities. If you have raised the volume of the lowest velocities from their default to closer to 0, you will hear it easily: just press a key softly. Watch the bars above to be sure that are hitting inside the softest vel layer. You will hear only the sound of the sample without any note playing.

I like this apparent hammer strike, but you may not. You can reduce its volume slightly or if you hate it, just turn its volume down so low that it is inaudible. (I haven't found a simple way to just kill it.) Remember that you can't just turn the volume knob to reduce the sound of this sample. Doing that will reduce will reduce the volume of all of the samples. To reduce just its volume, treat it as a velocity layer: Follow the steps listed at the end of 4 above. Before you reduce the volume by turning the Volume knob, see the note below.
    The note below: Because this hammer-strike is a layer of samples, you can do anything to it that you can do to other samples: Once you've chosen Stereo Pairs and Individual Regions, selected all of the regions or just the ones you want, you can click on the Filter tab, for example, and apply a low pass filter to the hammer samples, using the envelope and everything else. The turbo filter is good here, too. So the complications of working with this sample have a compensation--you can make the hammer sound the way you want on any region of the keyboard to change the sound of the piano--a low pass filter may in some cases be better than reducing its volume. A high pass filter can slightly brighten the tone of the hammer sounds, if you want a harder hammer on some ranges.

7. Click on the horizontal bar to the left, the release sample bar, to be able to hear notes again.

8. Finally, be sure to change the editing settings back to All Regions and All Splits, so future changes you make will be applied universally.

These edits must be made for each intrument.

If you've made extensive edits of the pianos, you may have to go in and change the settings for each of the two thumps for each layer. If you've changed the volume level for the layers, for example, which can give you good results, the volume of any one layer in proportion to the volume for the hammer sample may not be what you want. Check the settings for both the release sample and the hammer sample.

Re: Found out how to kill the thump noises in Tascam's CVPiano

And you may have problems with pedal down noises, too. Again, poylphony will benefit, since you are cutting away samples for each note you play.

1. Take the steps that let you select only one note at a time, with Stereo layers.
    2. The two notes all the way to the right of the keyboard control these sounds: there are two samples, one (D8) for the sound of the dampler, the other (Eb8) for the sound of the strings vibrating when you raise the damper,
    3. Click in the box above the first, the D8. To the right, above the keyboard graphic, click on each the four horizontal bars and for each select Breath controler so they won't sound. Or if you like the sound but want to reduce the volume, click on each and reduce its volume by turning down the Volume knob.
    4. Click in the box above the other keyswitch note, the Eb8. For reasons I don't understand, these samples, even if you change the control to Breath Controller, will still sound when you press the pedal. You must reduce the volume of each manually to cut the sound. Before automatically reducing their volume to 0, however, experiment with putting these samples on an amp envelope and filtering them--if you increase the Attack, the vibrating whoose will come in after or while you play the pedal down note instead of before. Playing around with the volume of each of these samples, their envelope, and filtering them can create some interesting acoustic piano sounds.
    5. Again, be sure to change the editing parameters back to All Regions and All Splits.

Yes, still trying to get people interested in this piano.

Brotha Man Jake,
    That is a great tip. That was one of my complaints about CVP. Muse's pianos are great jamming style piano sounds, but suffer from the same fate. I actually can hear the prior sustains when pressing the pedal down after releasing it. It's actually a really cool effect. But there's no real way to reproduce it consistently, only randomly.

You really dig deep into things don't you. That's really appreciated, as I have so many great sounding libraries, that could be customized in GS3, but no time.

I did however make a really smokin' horn section performance in GS3. I had to use 3 libraries to achieve it, but it is really good. After using samplers 25 years, I finally got the sections the way I like them. Great staccatos, and swells from First call's sections, QL Brass, and Screamimg Trumpets for the over the top Maynard style arranging. While sustaining swells after punches and staccatos, I throw in Screaming Trumpets remarkably recorded trumpet, and have it attached to a Kurzweil Expressionmate ( the old unit, not that cheap one that is an add on ), and use it to slide around a little for more authenticity. Shakes and Falls w/ the brass, flutter downs w/ the reeds. It sounds so much like the old Bill Chase.

Unfortunately here in Vegas, there is no way to escape having to play some Nelson Riddle arrangements, and the wanna be wise guys that sing ol' Blues Eyes love it. Thankfully I only have to do it occasionally. I do refuse to play New York, New York, as when word gets out that you do that number, every Liza Minelli, Frank Sinatra wanna be shows up. ARRGGHH !!

That's the best tip I have learned for GVI since last spring. Keep it up.

Dude,...share this at www.learngigastudio.com

It works great. I can now try the sostenuto attempts of a certain shhh ! developer working on all 88 note libraries.

Fingers are crossed on that one.

Go Back to forum