• Register
  • Help

Topic: super basic GS32 questions

Share/Bookmark

super basic GS32 questions

Hello,

I never tried GS yet but I think I need the GS32. I failed finding answers for my questions.

The main goal is to make gig files compatible with the GS world. Would GS32 write gig files compatible with GS24, GS96, GS160 and 3.0? Any problems, issues around this? I think there is a *player only* version to. But that\'s not the GS32, I hope.

Would you be able to route key velocity to filter cut off freq? What kind of filters does GS32 have? Some shallow LP? (I assume it does have some basic filters)

Would you be able to control the sample start point, utilizing key velocity(or other source)?

Can you switch between RAM/disk stream?

Thanks
    Hakan Olsson

Re: super basic GS32 questions

I think I can help.

The main goal is to make gig files compatible with the GS world. Would GS32 write gig files compatible with GS24, GS96, GS160 and 3.0? Any problems, issues around this?

(That should work fine)

Would you be able to route key velocity to filter cut off freq? What kind of filters does GS32 have? Some shallow LP? (I assume it does have some basic filters)

(Yes to all)

Would you be able to control the sample start point, utilizing key velocity(or other source)?

(Not quite. You eat into the buffer beyond 2000k samples. Within that range, you can do some limited stuff that way)

Can you switch between RAM/disk stream?

(Its streaming only through and through.)

If your doing acoustic instruments, Giga is still the champ. However, if you need to dig into the start time and do some RAM based loop stuff (drum loops ect..) with time & pitch and all that, I would advise something like Acid or Intakt. I have uses for both my NI and Giga software. Its not a sin to use them both where they work best.

Cheers
    Dave

Well answered. Thanks! That \"2000k samples\" could it be a kind of a stream buffer in RAM and the first few ms of audio is launched from there? I suppose, that\'s how they all do it. Kontakt does (I think).

More about sample start point. Btw, I\'m only looking for a few ms +/- around the very first attack portion. That limited stuff, how about key velocity? Would that work to control the start point? Or, another way that would work just fine if I could make multiple \"zones\"(Kontakt term) per velocity layer. Each zone share same audio data but has its own sample start point. That would simulate velocity-->sampleStartPoint perfectly. Could it be done in GS?

Thanks
    Hakan Olsson

I\'m not quite that much an expert on Kontakt ( a bit rusty right now) but I think you can probably do most of that stuff. Be sure to check in with the NI forum here at Northern Sounds.
    Cheers
    Dave

Go Back to forum