• Register
  • Help

Topic: Standard Controllers for volume and pan

Share/Bookmark

Standard Controllers for volume and pan

I posted this question on the GPO Academy forum, but I don't think anybody's watching it, so I'll re-ask it here:

What are the pros and cons of setting the "Use Standard Controllers for volume and pan"? When I check it and use Sonar to control the volume, Sonar's defaults are way too loud and have to be backed down. What do most of you do about "Standard Controllers for Volume and Pan?"

Re: Standard Controllers for volume and pan

Quote Originally Posted by guitarpicker
    I posted this question on the GPO Academy forum, but I don't think anybody's watching it, so I'll re-ask it here:

What are the pros and cons of setting the "Use Standard Controllers for volume and pan"? When I check it and use Sonar to control the volume, Sonar's defaults are way too loud and have to be backed down. What do most of you do about "Standard Controllers for Volume and Pan?"
    I'm a Sonar guy too, and I always use standard volume/pan controllers. Make yourself a template in Sonar that has all your settings exactly as you like them, then the next time you start a new project you don't have to start from scratch resetting volume.
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

I do not use CC7/CC10 in Sonar. Most of the preset levels in GPO are balanced for a full symphony orchestra. The current levels will result with a peak of around 0 db in a full orchestra fortissimo section. If you do set the CC7 levels in Sonar, do not set them any higher than 60. Anything higher than this will cause distortion in full orchestras. Also, there is a large volume difference between the different section with the woodwinds being much louder than the strings.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    I do not use CC7/CC10 in Sonar. Most of the preset levels in GPO are balanced for a full symphony orchestra. The current levels will result with a peak of around 0 db in a full orchestra fortissimo section. If you do set the CC7 levels in Sonar, do not set them any higher than 60. Anything higher than this will cause distortion in full orchestras. Also, there is a large volume difference between the different section with the woodwinds being much louder than the strings.

Jim
    Very true if you're using a single set of outputs. I generally stem mix in Sonar, routing each section thru its own output. You can run all the instruments a lot hotter since you don't have to worry about the collective volume creating distortion. Once you've got a good balance in each section, you can group all the instruments on the same cc7, and monitor the audio in real time. IMHO adjusting instantly via cc7 sure beats the crap out of shuffling thru your Kontakt players trying to find the ONE instrument that's set just a point or two too loud and is clipping your mix.
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

IMHO adjusting instantly via cc7 sure beats the crap out of shuffling thru your Kontakt players trying to find the ONE instrument that's set just a point or two too loud and is clipping your mix.
    09-21-2007 03:44 PM
    Usually my mix is already pretty decent so I usually just have to back off my submixes to avoid clipping. This usually only involves about 5-6 faders for the subs. I've been using the same template for quite awhile now and very rarely ever get clipping which helps. CC7 to me with Garritan products is more of a Gain setting than a volume setting.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    I do not use CC7/CC10 in Sonar. Most of the preset levels in GPO are balanced for a full symphony orchestra. ... If you do set the CC7 levels in Sonar, do not set them any higher than 60. Anything higher than this will cause distortion in full orchestras.
    Jim
    Thanks. That's kind of what I thought, but I wanted to hear it from someone more experienced with the product.

Go Back to forum