• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: An Excellent Use for Sample Libraries - Drill Routine Video

Orcas Island

An Excellent Use for Sample Libraries - Drill Routine Video

One great use of the new Concert and Marching Band library is to help in the arrangement of drill routines - to integrate musical and visual arrangements.

Here is an example of Concert and Marching Band synced with a visual drill design:

There are many bands around the world. One of the most popular are show bands. Show bands are crowd-pleasers and often perform a field show prior to a football game and at halftime and can also be seen in parades, competitions and large events. Show bands usually contain brass, woodwinds and percussion instruments and can have elaborate choreographed drill routines.

Marching band directors and drill designers write drill charts, marching coordinates and instructions to produce these sometimes elaborate routines. Some are custom-written for a show (jerichoshowdeisgn.com) and others pre-written and available from GPG Music, Hal Leonard and other fine publishers.

The above work is called "Pirates!" and is composed by Gary P. Gilroy Drill design by Terry Williams of Jericho Show Designs using Drill Routine software from Pyware. Thanks to Steve Martin of GPG Music for providing the music. And special thanks to Dan Kury for providing the midi mockup oand Sean for helping with the Flash files.

Any band director or drill designer who arranges music for their show now has a new tool at their disposal - Garritan Concert and Marching Band.

Gary Garritan

Re: An Excellent Use for Sample Libraries - Drill Routines

I wondered how long it would take for one of these to pop up on the forum. Answer: not long! Thanks for sharing.

(And appropriately a Pirate show for the day after International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Argh!)

Dallas, TX

Very cool integrated visual and sound!

I was once a pecussionist in Jr High School Marching Band, and i can tell you those field shows are no easy task. You have to play your instrument, stay in time, march with the correct left or right foot, pay attention to your cues, turn at the exactly the right time, and if you smoke a cigarette while doing it, band instructor goes ballistic.

Awesome stuff, Gary.

Many kudos to Dan for his amazing mockup of this
    march. It is really something to behold to see the
    direction that music is taking with computers.....

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

That's really cool. I also was wondering how long it would take to see one of these. It makes me miss drum corps and marching band already.

I was thinking about this for a while, but wouldn't it be cool if one of the features of the new stage position player was integration of a drill designer, then the panning and volume could change with the dot for the individual players. How cool would that be?
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Re: An Excellent Use for Sample Libraries - Drill Routine Video

Wow! Molto cool!

Thanks Dan and Sean for providing this mock-up. I have used Pyware and it is an amazing program in and of itself. I have retired from teaching but the last version of Pyware I used allowed for midi-files to play the music as the show ran and it was synced. It is a great aid for students to see the overall effect of what they are trying to accomplish on the field.

With the addition of using CoMB with Pyware the coordination of music and field drills becomes awesomely powerful. Instead of synthy sound, the show comes alive. Pyware has developed too, When I started using it the diagrams were just white dots moving on a black and white marching field. Now, they are in color and and look similar to real players.

Nice job Gary and company for making the connection to Pyware and developing the awesome samples to make this type of demo possible.

My hat is off to all!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Smile Re: An Excellent Use for Sample Libraries - Drill Routine Video

Hey Gary,
    Wow that is *cool*. I come from the world of having to write drill sheets on stacks of paper writing and rewriting and constantly having to check to make sure our counts stay in line with the music. This would have made life *much* easier!

Have you talked with Drum Corps International? I wonder if you could get them to sanction your software bundle for use by DCI corps.

Oh, and if you do, please write the following into the contract:

1) At least one top 10 corps has to use music with a hummable melody.

2) At least one top 10 corps has to use something other than a two step interval between marchers

You know you are getting old when the style you used and love is now referred to as `old school'.

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: An Excellent Use for Sample Libraries - Drill Routine Video

Very cool.

That's so cool! That sounds pretty friggin' real for a midi mockup! Hey, how well do y'all think that CMB can imitate military style marching bands?
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves

Go Back to forum