• Register
  • Help

Topic: Writing for Transposing Instrument!

Share/Bookmark

Writing for Transposing Instrument!

It is for me very difficult and time consuming to wirte music for a large ensemble with transposing instruments in transposed form. I would assume that if one writes the enitre piece in concert pitch not only one can write much faster, but also it makes the pitch relationships of the entire score easier for the orchestrator to see. Maybe a conductor would prefere the traditional scores rather than the new C-scores! b/c condutor and players are looking at the same notation.

How do you write music for transposing instruments?

First you write it in concert pictch, and then you convert it to the transposed form ( with your notation software)?

or no, from the beginning your write everything in the transposed keys?
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Re: Writing for Transposing Instrument!

Everyone does it differently, I suppose. Personally I write in concert pitch during the sketching and drafting phases, and switch to transposing when I'm preparing the final score. I would guess this is the usual practice.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by chikitin
    It is for me very difficult and time consuming to wirte music for a large ensemble with transposing instruments in transposed form. I would assume that if one writes the enitre piece in concert pitch not only one can write much faster, but also it makes the pitch relationships of the entire score easier for the orchestrator to see. Maybe a conductor would prefere the traditional scores rather than the new C-scores! b/c condutor and players are looking at the same notation.

How do you write music for transposing instruments?

First you write it in concert pictch, and then you convert it to the transposed form ( with your notation software)?

or no, from the beginning your write everything in the transposed keys?
    Hi...
    I do as Dan does UNLESS I am copying an existing transposed score. If I am composing or arranging into the computer I do so in concert pitch. Having no keyboard skills, I compose/arrange directly into notation.

ALSO: Please see my primer on transposition on the Garritan WIKI. It may offer you some interesting background on transposition!
    Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax

ALSO: Please see my primer on transposition on the Garritan WIKI. It may offer you some interesting background on transposition!
    Jim W.
    Thanks both of you. Jim, I have bookmarked your page. It seems so helpful for me!
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Go Back to forum