• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Releases CONCERT & MARCHING BAND!

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Releases CONCERT & MARCHING BAND!

As some of you know, we recently started shipping Concert and Marching Band. We sold out of our initial first run and have received shipment for our second run. I believe with the new Concert and Marching Band Libary there will be a new flavor to the forum. I'm looking forward to hearing the music that will be made with this new library.

Gary Garritan

--------

Strike Up the Band!
    GARRITAN CONCERT & MARCHING BAND
    Now Shipping!

Garritan announces amid fanfare that the Concert and Marching Band Library, a complete collection of concert and marching band sampled instruments, is now shipping.

The Garritan Concert and Marching Band Library features a broad variety of cornets, trombones, trumpets, baritones, euphoniums, mellophones, sousaphones, saxes, tenor horns, clarinets, flutes, piccolo, tubas, marching percussion and more. Also included are drumline sounds from the renowned Virtual Drumline 2 by Tapspace.

The Garritan Concert and Marching Band Library is the only library of its kind and fills a major void in the world of sample libraries. Concert, marching and other types of bands are thriving worldwide and have become an increasingly important part of musical culture and society. It is estimated there are over 17,000 high school bands in the USA alone. Further, there are countless college and university bands, community bands, military bands, drum and bugle corps, bands in sporting events, and parade bands – there may be more concert and marching bands than any other form of musical group. There is such widespread interest and demand for a band library of this breadth and scope and Garritan has marched to the beat of a different drum to meet this need.

The Garritan Concert and Marching Band Library is designed for easy playability and features standardized controls for dynamics and expression. Ensemble building enables users to quickly build bands of varying size – from both groups of instruments or with individual instruments. The unparalleled flexibility of the Garritan Concert and Marching Band can create marching bands, concert bands, British brass bands, modern drum and bugle corps, wind orchestras, symphonic bands, wind ensembles, and custom bands of any configuration.

Powered by the Native Instruments Kontakt 2 Player, the Garritan Concert and Marching Band runs on a single computer and/or laptop, Mac or PC platform. A standalone player is included, as well as plug-ins for all major sequencers (VST, DX, AU, RTAS). The library is also optimized for use in Sibelius 5 and Finale 2008 for direct playback from score. An entire concert or marching band can be loaded on a single PC or laptop.

The Concert and Marching Band provides composers, educators, and students with a powerful tool that supplies valuable feedback during the compositional and arranging process. It gives band directors a superb means of working out drill routines and sectional interplay. It also provides musicians with a comprehensive array of brass, woodwind and percussion sounds to add to their tracks. This library seeks to raise awareness of band music and to encourage and provided needed tools to a new generation of band composers.

Stay a step ahead with the Garritan Concert and Marching Band library!

Pricing and Availability
    Garritan Concert and Marching Band is priced at $239 and is shipping now. It is available from the Garritan website or from Hal Leonard, Finale, Sibelius, Time & Space and fine resellers worldwide.

For demos, drill video, instrument list or for more information go to http://www.garritan.com/band.html.

Re: Garritan Releases CONCERT & MARCHING BAND!

Would it be possible to provide an articulation list?

thanks

Thumbs up Re: Garritan Releases CONCERT & MARCHING BAND!

Very Cool!

Congrats Gary!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I'll take six.
    Styxx

Gary,

Maybe this has been asked and answered but, if so, I missed it. When your new player is finally finished and released, will all of the current libraries be re-released to be compatible with the new player? Just curious. Thanks.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by esperlad
    Would it be possible to provide an articulation list?

thanks
    If the Marching Band is like most of Garritan's other libraries, there are no articulations, per se. There are one or two "master articulations," and then MIDI CC's are used to modulate various parameters in order to manipulate the audio in realtime and "fake" articulations. Thus, performance and playability are key to properly shaping and phrasing the articulations.

It's a middle road somewhere between old-fashioned "siege tactics" sampling and synthesis/modelling.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdini
    If the Marching Band is like most of Garritan's other libraries, there are no articulations, per se. There are one or two "master articulations," and then MIDI CC's are used to modulate various parameters in order to manipulate the audio in realtime and "fake" articulations. Thus, performance and playability are key to properly shaping and phrasing the articulations.
    This is correct. The controls are very consistent with GPO.

I'm always happy to hear about any product of this type being successful, but I'm curious what it is people are doing with this library. Is it being used to create mock-ups of arrangements that will later be played by actual marching bands? Do marching bands sweeten their sound with samples for broadcast? Is there some other application I'm missing out on?

If anyone has a picture of a marching DAW rig I would love to see it.

I'm actually waiting for Gary to release High School Band as well as Amateur Community Orchestra.

I would honestly like to hear my pieces played out of tune, with poor rhythmic unison, and messed up articulations. I'm working on my own PDQ Bach opus and NEED these accurate approximations of sub-par groups!

Seriously though, congrats on these new releases. I own J&BB and Strad 2 as well as using the Pocket Orchestra that comes with Dimension LE in Sonar and I find the sounds to be excellent. Pocket Orchestra is very powerful- I am almost reluctant to admit that I turn to the ensemble strings on that lib in favor of my more expensive libs because of their playability.

All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by TechEverlasting
    I'm always happy to hear about any product of this type being successful, but I'm curious what it is people are doing with this library. Is it being used to create mock-ups of arrangements that will later be played by actual marching bands? Do marching bands sweeten their sound with samples for broadcast? Is there some other application I'm missing out on?

If anyone has a picture of a marching DAW rig I would love to see it.
    Right now, this library is mostly being used in education. There are many band programs in secondary schools and colleges and universities. And this library integrates in Finale 2008 and Sibelius.

CoMB is a great compositional tool for composing original works for band. It is also great for arranging.

Band directors find CoMB useful to work out their arrangements and the various parts. Since instrumentation of published scores differ in each band, there is re-arranging that must take place and CoMB helps in that process.

And people who work with and choreograph drills routines are finding it very helpful. Here is an example of Concert and Marching Band synced with a visual drill design:

Concert and Symphonic Band is similar to an orchestra sans the strings. So there are many instruments that can supplement orchestral libraries as well.

What it is people are doing with this library? Making good music.

There's a whole new world of band with many enthusiastic musicians!

Thanks for asking.

Best,

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum