• Register
  • Help

Topic: Language lessons

Share/Bookmark

Language lessons

I often see the word "kudos" as a compliment. What exactly does it mean?

Raymond

Re: Language lessons

Prior to seeing it appear with frequency on the web, the only place i had ever seen it in 49 years was in letters to the editor in magazines and newspapers, but was seldom. I have no idea what it means, but infer that it's a complement of some sort and i plan on never looking it up or using it. I have never heard anyone use it in speech.

(from the Dictionary app in Apple OSX)

kudos (?k(y)o??d?s; -?d?z; -?däs) noun praise and honor received for an achievement. ORIGIN late 18th cent.: Greek.USAGE Kudos comes from Greek and means ‘glory.’ Despite appearances, it is not a plural form. This means that there is no singular form kudo and that use as a plural, as in the following sentence, is incorrect:: he received many kudos for his work (correct use is | he received much kudos for his work).

Btw, I have wondered about this too! Now I know...

Nice one on Apple, but since I'm Greek I can't seem to find a connection to any greek word even close to the meaning of Glory (which is Δόξα, for those interested and pronounced Doksa, or Thoksa (the th like the).

Kudos rings no bells in Greek at all, sorry to say.

Still I do think that the meaning is to give praise to someones saying or work, or simmilar, and the internet is filled with "Kudos m8" and so on... brrrr....

Maybe they meant to say Latin, always getting those two mixed up, Latin and Greek.

I don't know a word Greek I'm afraid. Strangely enough Wikipedia also claims a Greek origin of this word:

Kudos (IPA pronunciation: ['kju:d?s]['ku:d?s]), from the Greek ????? kydos (literally "that which is heard of") means "fame" and "renown" resulting from an act or achievement. Extending "kudos" to another individual is often done as a praising remark. It entered English as British university slang in the early 1800s. In Standard English, as in Greek, Kudos is a singular and not a plural noun. However, in common use, one frequently encounters dialects and idiolects in which the noun is plural: She received many kudos ['ku:do?z] for her work.
    Usage expanded as the term entered the vocabulary of the gaming community (you can earn kudos for completing game tasks, like in Xbox's Project Gotham Racing).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

The origin of the word in greek is κύδος (You must be missing the font there Albert).

Personally, I only know a little greek...just enough to ask a person how they are doing.

Nikolas: Ti kavete;
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Thanks guys,

after these Greek and may be Latin lectures, now I know what "kudos" means.

Raymond

Thumbs up Re: Language lessons

We used to have Kudos for breakfast when we was young. Gave us energy for anything that comes our way during the day! Kudos, a great way to start your day! Now in fruit and chocolate flavors!
    Styxx

i'm pretty sure it is from classical greek as opposed to modern greek. i might be wrong though.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Go Back to forum