• Register
  • Help

Topic: Chase The Sunrise Mix 3

Chase The Sunrise Mix 3

Hi all

Here is my third mix of "Chase the Sunrise" I have put it as the first track on http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/stutty

I have left the first mix as track 2 (just for comparison).

I hope you will find this a little more dynamic

Re: Chase The Sunrise Mix 3

I didn't have time to do a side-by-side comparison, Paul;
    but I do recollect the earlier version -- definitely an
    improvement in the dynamic characteristics.

The dynamics are nice. I'm not sure if its your intention or not, but the reverb tail is about 2.7 seconds, or sounds like, maybe even 3. Thats a really long tail and it kinda runs some of the notes together in the higher strings, and in the viola cello line. The bass seems somewhat immune to this effect. But its porbably much too watery, try drying it up a bit, maybe only about 2 seconds of tail reverb.

Just my opinion. Overall I enjoyed chasing the sunrise with you. Can't say I've ever tried it, but I do live in Florida, and I've sat on the beach and watched the sunrise a few times. But chasing not so much. Great duet with the trumpet flute. Not bad counterpoint. Maybe a flute doubling with Violins would help draw out the melody a little more. And the trumpet part could double in the violas as well, to give it depth.

I also feel like the cello lines were rikky tikky at about 4:40, maybe its just my ear, but the could probably stand some smoothing out.

Lots of stuff, take it or leave it.

Either way though, don't give up on it.
    Yours Truly,
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:

I have listened to both versions and (as a matter of fact) all 13 pieces on your site. This mix3 is by far the best in orchestration technique than the previous version. It sounds more in character with what you may hear in an actual acoustical environment. Also, the piece itself is very fluent and has a nice directional flow to it. Though you call it sunrise, I hear it in a more somber quality befitting a sunset. I'm sure it is only personal taste.

Anyway, very well done
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Hello again, Paul

This is great that you've posted the new mix of your oh-so-rich piece. I enjoyed the composition on the previous post, but I'm here to tell you that I feel you really have indeed made a HUGE leap in effectiveness with this mix.

Congrats, and thanks for letting us hear.

Randy B.

Thank you all for your time and constructive comments. As a comparitive newcomer to the world of neo-classical composition, it is always a pleasure to hear what experienced people like yourselves have to say. Thank you.

I am having great trouble recreating what I have in my head. Some of this is due to environmental constraints e.g. having to compose and mix on headphones (neighbours and time of day constraints).

The other part of the problem I am having is that what I hear on Cubase doesn't equate with the MP3 rendering of the mix. The MP3 always seems to be thinner especially on the bottom an lower mid ends. I am rendering as 16bit 192 kBit/s 44KHz. I think this should give a fairly acurate compression? Would 24bit give me a greater frequency range? I would also like the MP3 to be easily transportable, I'm not sure whether commercial MP3 players handle 24bit?

Any thoughts on this?

Hello again, Paul

About your mix-down problems - It sounds like you're going straight to an MP3 when you go for your final 2 track master. Is that right?

The problems of having the frequencies not sound as good and full as what you hear in Cubase would be Directly caused by that - MP3 is a Mucho degraded audio file type, so popular because the files are fairly small. Perfect for posting online, sending by email, dumping into portable players etc--But that is NOT what your Master 2 Track files should be. They need to be .wav files. 24 bit is great to record in, but to make use of that 24 bit file on an audio CD or as an MP3, it would have to be converted to 16 bit.

Export or bounce down your finished, mixed project to .wav file.

THEN you can make the crummier sounding MP3 copy from That if you want. See?

Randy B.

Hi Randy

On that mix I did go straight for an MP3 from the audio rendering in cubase.

I recorded each MIDI track a WAV file, then after mixing, editing, processing, etc, I rendered as an MP3.

For a new mix I have just completed (Mix 4), I rendered to an interleaved stereo WAV file, completed the mastering and rendered to MP3 from there.

So, from what you are saying, I should be rendering to stereo split WAV files, is that correct? Assuming I have hold of the right end of the stick here, do I then treat each of the resultant WAV files as a mono track? If so, do they need to be output to the relevant left & right of the master bus?

SO much to learn and so little inteligence hehe

I have posted Mix 4 up on http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/stutty

I have gone for a non-conventional orchestra layout in that I have split the instruments to be matched on each side of the stereo field. IMO this gives a much more balanced and overall "bigger" feel to the piece. If this breaks some unwritten protocol, then I apologise in advance, but this is written to be played on audio equipment rather than performed live.

One day I will get this piece how I want it (I hope lol)

Hi, Paul

I'm talking about the mix going down to a Master recording - that's a 2-track, a stereo recording, right? And it has to be a .wav file. MP3s are like fuzzy photocopies of the original - Make them from the .wav Master.

What you describe here about Mix 4 is what I'm talking about - I think - I'm not quite sure what you mean by, "...completed the mastering and rendered to MP3 from there..." As long as you completed the mastering and left the .wav file in a folder as THE project, THE master. - You then grab that to make your MP3.

I bounce all my soft synth tracks to individual stereo .wav files - and That's what I mix, since there's so much more one can do with audio files in a mix. But one doesn't Have to do that. I partly do that because my computer can't handle playing all the virtual tracks at the same time. SO, that part is optional.

Randy B.

Yes Randy I do the same as you (I just didn't explain it very well)

The major difference is that I mastered the new mix from an interleaved stereo WAV file instead of a two track master. After your suggestion, I will try this on the next mix.

Thank you again Randy

Go Back to forum