• Register
  • Help

Topic: K2 version of JABB is non-functional

Share/Bookmark

K2 version of JABB is non-functional

I downloaded the 2.2.3 version of the K2 update for JABB and it does not work at all, either as a plugin or standalone. I went straight from the original Kontakt player to the only update available at the NI website, i.e., 2.2.3. (I did not get any of the intervening updates). When I click the K2 icon - it does nothing. When I click the JABB icon, it starts K1 as always (after “fixing” it according to a helpful post on this forum).

I asked for help a week ago on the JABB technical support forum and to NI some days ago. Gary replied that he would forward the problem to NI. I received the useless response below from NI. According to another post here on Northern Sounds, the real problem is this: “Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge: The 2.2.2 update has [contains] the JABB KP2 .nki files.. and.. 2.2.3 doesn't.” So, apparently if you did not download the 2 – 2.2.2 upgrades you can no longer upgrade JABB. Obviously this is fairly ridiculous. I am waiting for Garritan or anyone else to offer the needed files.

Thanks

Mike

<<Hello Michael Greene,
    Thank you for contacting Native Instruments technical support.
    Native Instruments only handles the Registration Support for sample library
    products using the Kontakt Player 2 software.
    For technical questions about using your Kontakt Player 2 Library product, you will need to contact the support department for the developer of the library in question.
    Garritan: 360-376-5766 http://www.garritan.com/support.html
    Your NATIVE INSTRUMENTS Support Team, Jason Emsley>>

I responded that the answer was useless because NI hosts the updates - not Garritan. The reply:

<<Hello mgreene@surfbest.net,
    As mentioned in the previous email, we do not support issues with the Kontakt 2 Player. Garritan is contractually bound to take care of you.
    Again, the contact information is: Garritan: 360-376-5766 http://www.garritan.com/support.html Your NATIVE INSTRUMENTS Support Team, Jason Emsley>>

I responded again that their response is illogical because NI took down the previous update that held the files that make the update work, the nki files, according to this post:

If NI refuses to repost the 2.0 - 2.2.2 update files, can you make them available? (I am assuming that I really only need the 2.2.2 file.) I am pretty sure that I am not the only one in this predicament.>>>

Re: K2 version of JABB is non-functional

Hi, Mike

OH wow - Major frustration here, I can feel it from your post.

Information on your post seems - skewed. You quote Nickie as saying that the earlier 2.22 contains the JABB files while the current 2.2.3 doesn't. It's the opposite - 2.22 updated the player only. The current 2.2.3 update has everything you need, both the current player and the current version of the JABB instrument files.

I had owned JABB for 8 months before I did the KP2 update - I waited until the kinks were worked out, the smoke cleared, and the 2.2.3 update was available. All I had to do was step through the registration process, and at the end of it, there JABB was in the KP2 player where it should be, and it all worked fine.

After you apparently did the KP2 upgrade, you say that "...When I click the K2 icon - it does nothing. When I click the JABB icon, it starts K1 as always..." Where are clicking? What icon are you talking about? Do you mean in your computer's program folder? Inside a DAW or notation program? On your desktop?

It's not an icon you need to click - well, not that I'm aware of, -but you need to select Kontact, not JABB. Kontact is the program which plays JABB - You don't tell us what kind of music software you're using, a DAW or notation program - But I'll tell you what I do as a Sonar user:

--Inside Sonar, I want to insert a soft synth. I click the tab for that - the VST menu appears, and I select one of the Kontacts in the list - there are 3 different sizes - full, 16 channel, and 8 channel. Once the Kontact is loaded, then I'm ready to choose JABB as the library I want to load into Kontact.

In that same VST soft synth list, if I selected JABB directly, then the old KP1 I've kept on my computer would indeed load up - the way it does for you. I've left things that way so I can work on older projects more if I want to.

But if I'm starting something new, I choose Kontact - the new KP2 loads, and then I proceed as described above, choosing JABB, GPO, The Strad, or CMB. All their icons are right there inside KP2, since those are the libraries I have which all use the new KP2.

--Does anything in this post make you see that perhaps you're going about things in the wrong way--? I hope so.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Randy and Tom, thanks for the replies. Note this Moderator response from the NI Forum recieved just now:

<<It sounds like you are missing a few steps.
    You need to download the JABB KP2 updater, which is listed in the JABB KP1 download area. You also need to request a new serial number (available on the same screen).Once you run the JABB KP2 updater, you have access to the JABB KP2 download area, so download the KP2 2.2.3 update (which is the latest version of KP2). Once this is done, you're fully updated. You no longer launch JABB as a standalone application as you're trying to do -- you launch Kontakt Player 2, and you'll see JABB available as a library within KP2.
    www.daviddas.com>>>>

Of course, there is no JABB KP1 area sitll available at NI.

To answer your questions, I am in W2K, Sonar 4PE and an AMD barton system. I did uninstall JABB completely, including deleting registry items and tried to reinstall. No dice.

Just now, I tried erasing all JABB from my computer installing only the 2.2.3 version. Again, I installed the stand alone version which I assume should open on the desktop like the previous version but it does not. Now, the interesting part: when I use the SONAR VST Adaper to register the 2.2.3, it locks my the system when the adapter gets to the NI folder. I have to ctrl-alt-del to end the VST Adapter and then neither the DXI or the VST is registered as a plug in SONAR.

So, my system is not recognizing the 2.2.3 version as anything - a standalone "exe" program or a vst / dxi plug-in. Everyting worked properly under JABB KP1.

I am stumped.

Mike

Hummm, I guess I'm stumped too, Mike.

I'll be the first to admit that registering through the NI site is a major convoluted pain in the back side. I feel extremely fortunate that for whatever reason, it all went smoothly for me. I know a number of folks remain stymied.

Though I don't have new magical possible solutions to offer, just now you said:

"...it locks my the system when the adapter gets to the NI folder..."

The Sonar VST adapter shouldn't be getting in to the NI folder - the VST .dll file should have been put in your Sonar VST folder. That's all that needs to be registered.

And you do understand that, as NI support also told you, you no longer open these libraries directly-When you want to use JABB or any Garritan library in a project, you insert a Kontact instance and then load the instruments you want.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by MGreene
    Of course, there is no JABB KP1 area sitll available at NI.
    It is still there. It is the place, where you request the JABB KP2 serial number.

To answer your questions, I am in W2K, Sonar 4PE and an AMD barton system. I did uninstall JABB completely, including deleting registry items and tried to reinstall. No dice.
    You are using Windows 2000!? No wonder it doesn't work then. KP2.2.3 doesn't support Win2000. You need at least XP SP2 (well, XP SP1 may work, but no guarantee).

Hi again, havent had a chance to call yet.

Nickie, all NI shows me is the 2.2.3 update. That is the problem for me and many others. Ok, you say 2.2.3 does not support W2K - did 2.2.2? I did not notice that written anywhere.

Mike

Hi, Mike

That was a good call on Nickie's part. The rest of us didn't notice you saying you're using Windows 2000.

I have all my hard manuals for the Garritan Libraries I use; GPO, The Strad, CMB and JABB - and in the sections on System Requirements, they all say that on a PC, you have to have Windows XP. No system earlier is listed. I'm rather sure those System Requirements are also listed on the main Garritan site.

Sorry!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi again, havent had a chance to call yet.

Nickie, all NI shows me is the 2.2.3 update. That is the problem for me and many others. Ok, you say 2.2.3 does not support W2K - did 2.2.2? I did not notice that written anywhere.

Mike
    Mike, none of the KP2 versions support Win2k. Kontakt 2.0 - the mother of all Kontakt Player 2 versions - needed WinXP. The requirement has been upped with subsequent updates to first WinXP SP1 and now (K2.2.3/KP2.2.3) WinXP SP2.

And Randy is right: the Garritan site says (and always did, I believe) WinXP.

Alright - problem solved. Thanks fellers. I had JABB KP1 for sometime and didnt really use it. I didnt look into the upgrade until just prior to 2.2.3, so I did not see the caveats.

regards

Mike

Go Back to forum