• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best out of box/Ease of use Orch. Lib

Share/Bookmark

Best out of box/Ease of use Orch. Lib

I was wondering about affordable high quality orchestral libraries.

The ones I like are -
    VSL SE
    EWQLSO Gold
    Sonivox
    KHSO Ruby

I haven't much experience with editing sounds, nor with Midi Orchestration and although I am prepared to invest in the time I want a package (up to $1000) that I can get ease of use from. I understand that they all have their unique sound, especially EWQLSO but what would be the best to start with?
    I own GPO but want something higher end.

I currently use GS3 also.

Thanks

Re: Best out of box/Ease of use Orch. Lib

Libraries are such a personal choice that I would hestiate to recommend one over the others. All the libraries you list are very good and well regarded. Sonivox would be compatible with your current GS3 and takes advantage of the Giga 3 iMIDI feature set, however it would be more expensive than your $1000 limit. Also keep in mind that you can get reasonably good upgrade pricing to Kontakt from your GPO if you wish to go with a Kontakt-based option. Kirk Hunter Emerald (GS3 or Kontakt) is a good choice as a stepping stone and would be an inexpensive addition to your current samples.

I'm sure others will tell you - buy what you like the sound of based on the demos and user-created works. EWQL for example is very good at the "hollywood" Zimmer-esque sound.

Another option to consider is the Westgate Modular series. It is not complete yet, though (Oboes, Flutes, Clarinets, Bassoons and French Horns are released), but still much bang for your bucks.

This is just some comments based on my experience, take it for what it is, i dont have in depth experience with every lib here, but enough to have based an opinion.

EWQLSO - very suited to large rytmhical dramatic movie type scores and chase scenes. has a very polished sound, and this is the lib that sounds the most impressive just playing around with it.
    However, its not as suited to a more classical sound, and certantliy has its problems if you wanna use it in pop\rock\contmeporary music.
    It is very precise and can easaly do fast runs and the most outragiously intricate writing you can throw at it. The lib does not sound "midi-ish" at all and if used properly.
    However, since it is all pre-eq`ued, it sounds very nice when the instument count is small, but when all the sections are involved, it can sound cramped , as there are too much midfrequency stuggling for attention.
    Strongest part is Percussion. Weakest is Woodwinds.

KHSO Ruby - Has also a big sound, but much less polished and eq`ued than EW. Is the most easy to use out of the box of them all i guess, but it requiers offcourse that you have Kontakt 2.
    It has quite a dark and menacing sound, and is probably the darkest sounding library of them all. The sound sometimes reminds me of the "war" type music that is very often used in ww2 documentaries.
    Will also cut throught a rock and pop mix very well.
    And it also includes smaller sections, and a realy realy wonderfull collection of solo instuments, that is worth the price alone.
    But There is alot of bass in the low end instruments, and can sometimes sound a bit harsh, and dare i say it - Midi`ish.
    However, the library is very well crafted, and is very advanced in regards to sounding authentic, the instuments feel very much alive, as opposed to being samples of different articulations. And has a very affordable price.
    Strongest part is strings. Weakest is Woodwinds.

SI Brass and Stings -
    (I will only comment on half of this library since i havent ever used the rest.)
    While EW have the movie score hugensess, KHSO has the easy of use and afforable price, VSL has the hifi techy geek approach to detail, Si fall somewhere in betewen all of the above.
    It is not overly huge, or aggressive.
    It is not perticulary easy to use in comparison to the others, and is quite expensive. I think this lib is more subtle, and is probably the lib that is most suited to less aggressive music.
    The strings has a very light delicate feel and sound to them, and leans itself equaly towards classical music as well as movie score stuff. The brass is also light and playfull in a way, and is not realy dark and brooding, but more gentle and relaxed. A matter of taste , and possibly has more up its sleeve than it first appears.

VSL SE : sorry havent tried it yet. But in general about the Vienna Sound:
    i am not vey impressed with VSL, they have some realy nice things, and some that are completely off the mark. But they are more leaned towards classical music, and has a dark very dry character, and the strings can often sound very harsh and midi like , in spite of all its hoopla and control options.
    But its the library thats most versatile, as its recorded dry, and will work very well with contemporary music. The new Vienna software is very cool, and has the most advanced controll options of them all, and is certantly the most detalied and ever expanding library.
    But i still make the claim that it doesnt always live up its potential, but that offcourse is a matter of personal preference.
    I would recomend the Epic Horns And Appasionata strings.
    Strongest part in general is woodwinds, weakeast is String.

Thst my opinion, others might disagree completely, and theres also the pricing to consider offcourse.

The easy solution is to just own em all!!

Problem is finding a way to convince your Wife that ya just gotta have em!!

Seriously though, VSL SE is probably the best solution as it's high quality all around and covers what ya need. There's no inconsistency, all instrument catagories seem well done.

Well, consider this though...VSL requires not only programming skills, but also eq and mixing skills to get a good result. And a good (expensive) convultion reverb. if you run it throught your basic Cubase out of the box reverb, it will sound cheap and synthetic no matter what. At leats EWQL and KHSO comes with reverb , and is already sort of premixed and panned, so you dont have to think about it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pzy-Clone
    Well, consider this though...VSL requires not only programming skills, but also eq and mixing skills to get a good result. And a good (expensive) convultion reverb. if you run it throught your basic Cubase out of the box reverb, it will sound cheap and synthetic no matter what. At leats EWQL and KHSO comes with reverb , and is already sort of premixed and panned, so you dont have to think about it too much.
    Your comment about VSL sounding "cheap and synthetic" when used without a good convolution reverb is interesting, I would expect that if you sampled a real instrument or a group of instruments (i.e. a violin section), in the type of space that VSL uses for their recordings, the resulting samples, and eventually, the program that plays the samples should sound as close as possible (quite realistic) as the original recording, but would be missing the acoustics of a nice hall or medium chamber hall.

My question is, why then does it sound cheap and synthetic without the convolution reverb ?

Wasn't this a recording of real, and good sounding instruments, played by professional musicans ? why then has this sampling/recording become so degraded, to sound synthetic, and cheap ? I understand that an acoustical instrument such as a violin will sound much better in a chamber or concert hall with good acoustics, but even in a room with poor acoustics, it should still sound like a violin, not a synth. program on a synth.

It would be interesting to hear you views on this detail.

Thanks.

well, if you read my post a little more closely, i said that if you run it through a STANDARD SEQUENCER REVERB, it will sound cheap and synthetic.
    becouse i assume one wants to have some reverb on the sounds, and not run them dry.
    I did not comment on the samples , but the need of a good reverb in addition to the sounds themselves.

I dont think they sound cheap and synthetic at all, but they will through a crap reverb, hence the need to shell out extra $$$ on something like altiverb etc. See the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Pzy-Clone
    well, if you read my post a little more closely, i said that if you run it through a STANDARD SEQUENCER REVERB, it will sound cheap and synthetic.
    becouse i assume one wants to have some reverb on the sounds, and not run them dry.
    I did not comment on the samples , but the need of a good reverb in addition to the sounds themselves.

I dont think they sound cheap and synthetic at all, but they will through a crap reverb, hence the need to shell out extra $$$ on something like altiverb etc. See the difference?
    Hi Pzy-Clone, and Thanks for clarifying things, I might have not read your post very carefully, but I understand that you meant that VSL sounded synthy and cheap if run through crap reverb, but I have heard some VSL samples that were played without any reverb, and was not impressed, they did not sound realistic, and had quite an annoying, rather than a pleasing/sweet timbre.

Are you using VSL libraries ? ie VSL SE ? If Yes, how do you like the sounds when you hear them Dry, (without any reverb) ? Do you find the VSL sounds when heard dry, to be very realistic sounding, and how do you like the timbre of the instruments when they are heard dry ?

Thanks.

well, they sound realistic offcourse, when heard as single notes.
    the problem with vsl for me, is that they are so analytic and sterile, that when played in a sequence, in perticular with the strings, they sound somewhat synthetic and unnatural.
    perhaps they are too "perfect" , i much rather prefer the little quirks and variation of EWQLSO.

Also, to me all the different version of VSl sound exactly the same, since day one. Why do they keep on sampling the same instruments to sound excactly the same?

Vsl is best on special sounds, rare collections that are not found enywhere else i think.
    I Only have Opus 1 and 2, and some of the Horizon series though.
    ...but i have tried bigger newer versions elsewhere, and it always sounds the same to me.

its mostly the strings though, the woodwinds i find to be very good, and a lot less plastic and hollow sounding than the other major libs out there.

but you cant realy beat the EWQLSO bassoons though.
    Sometimes the actuall hall creates some strange reflections and adds caracter to the sound, wich is difficult to re-create with convultion .
    Just listen to the Tuba in EW, and try to make the VSl one sound as big and dramatic...fat chance.

Go Back to forum