• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: So. . . Kontakt 3 is announced. . .

Share/Bookmark

Question OT: So. . . Kontakt 3 is announced. . .

It seems like most audio-related software companies are coming out with newer versions of their products. Again. Apple recently released Logic 8, Cakewalk has released Sonar 7. There is, of course, the yearly upgrade for Finale with its newest version being Finale 2008. Now it's Native-Instrument's turn with Kontakt 3 and its other audio software products. It just seems like the numbers keep getting highter and higher and higher! LOL!

Well. . . being the software junkie that I am, I want to upgrade almost all of them!!

Except. . . . . except. . . . . . . except. . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . .everything is working just fine now.

I must learn "impusle control". I must learn NOT to upgrade (like in past years) EVERY TIME an audio software company comes out with a newer version of its product(s). I have RECENTLY learned that upgrading software (purchased or not) may not work as expected. (The BIGGEST "upgrade" that I've recently done was going from a PC based system to the newer MacPro system. It was a great "upgrade". But it was NOT without its headaches!)

Still. . . . . still. . . . . . . . . still. . . . . . . . . . .

(Sit still, Ted!)

. . . . . everything is working just fine now.

(I'm afraid to say that out loud because my current system just might explode or something, so I whisper it.)

So. . . . . What are YOUR plans for any upgrading??? Are you going to upgrade to the latest version of Logic, or Sonar, or Finale, or Kontakt???

Or. . . . or. . . . . . . . . . or. . . . . . .

. . . . . . is everything working just fine?????
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: OT: So. . . Kontakt 3 is announced. . .

Well I'll be upgrading to Sonar 7 as soon as possible because of all the MIDI tool enhancements.

However I'll be sticking with Finale 2007 for the moment, because it does everything I want it to for my current projects.

I'll also stick with Kontakt 2 - solely becasue I've had it for at least two years and never used if for any projects. This is only because I haven't gotten around really trying it out - learning another bit of software has been off my list fo things to do for quite a while
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I haven't really looked at Kontakt 3 yet, but I'm happy with K2 and I don't feel a great urge to upgrade.

I do want to upgrade to Sonar 7 as soon as my budget allows, though. Some of the new features, especially multilane controller editing, are things I've been wanting badly for a long time.

I got the Finale 2008 upgrade, but I may consider skipping Finale 2009, depending on whether it has any new features I want or need.

Bottom line: I got over my need to upgrade everything a long time ago. But if I think it's worth it, I'll shell out the bucks.

...Even though everything is working fine now...
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I upgraded to Sonar Seven and I'm now working with it. The upgrade is really worthwhile in my opinion. Cakewalk listened to its customers this time, as far as improvement requests were concerned, and implemented some nice changes, especially in the MIDI tools category.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I can't actually see what is different in Kontakt 3 - at least nothing of any significance (no doubt NI would point to the increased number of included samples). As far as I can tell it should have been a tiny decimal point upgrade.

So I'm desperately hoping that developers continue to make things compatible with K2, until there is something vital to their programming that it can't do. If BelaD go to version 3 then there's no question that I'll upgrade, but otherwise I'm trying to avoid having to.

Kontakt 3? it seems to me that NI is lost in the weeds again, agree with you about small version point. something like kp2.2.3.003.1. Is everyone as revolted about the lack of useful technical support from NI as I am??...I have yet to recieve and answer to my questions that has been researched and is not a shoot from the hip/irrelevant response. They either fail to read the question, misinterpret the question and jump to a conclusion, and take a week or more to respond. They don't answer the phone, and only make an effort when confronted by Gary Garritan, or Make music quality control.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorchandler
    Kontakt 3? it seems to me that NI is lost in the weeds again, agree with you about small version point. something like kp2.2.3.003.1. Is everyone as revolted about the lack of useful technical support from NI as I am??...I have yet to recieve and answer to my questions that has been researched and is not a shoot from the hip/irrelevant response. They either fail to read the question, misinterpret the question and jump to a conclusion, and take a week or more to respond. They don't answer the phone, and only make an effort when confronted by Gary Garritan, or Make music quality control.
    Have to agree. There seems to be an expectation now that you use the forum, rather than emailing NI. That in itself wouldn't be so bad - after all, support for Garritan products is essentially this forum, and it's darned useful that you get a quick answer, and it's public so that everyone benefits. And it's great that Gary and his team seem to watch like hawks - anytime a user can't answer a question quickly, you'll get the answer straight from the source.

Over at NI, I know they're watching, because any derogatory comment gets a quick response. But my questions have gone completely unanswered (and they're fairly fundamental concerns that have spawned long threads of users with the same concern).

They also use their forum as a place to very sneakily make announcements that aren't going to be popular. In fact announcement is too grand a term. For instance they just discontinued Vokator and Spektral Delay. There was no announcement. Instead two new sub-forums quietly appeared in the discontinued products forum. They continued to sell both products up to the day when these forums were created, so there are users who just bought them a couple of weeks ago, and actually have to go poking around the forum quite extensively to discover they bought a product that's no longer supported. To my way of thinking that's just dishonest. If it had been someone like Gary he would have made announcements well in advance, then sold the products off cheaply, warning customers that the price reduction was a trade-off for the lack of future support.

Whilst I love NI's products I have to say that recently I only ever seem to hear angry posts about their business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    And Pingu (just asking) did they discontinue selling those 2 programs (I have them in my Komplete pack also though I've never used them) or did they actually say they were discontinueing support for them? I mean it was YEARS after Windows 98 stopped selling before Microsoft stopped support for it. Though I am kinda suprised they stopped selling what seemed to be a pretty cool pair of tools, that look like they didn't take alot of NI people power to keep running.

Tom
    You're quite right - I should be more careful with my words. The products will be supported in unchanged form, but not maintained.

K3 does actually have at least one interesting new feature: a sort of sample offset modulation in DFD mode, which would be useful for legato x-fading. This often has to be done in sampler mode in K2, eating up more RAM.

Another interesting feature, IMO, is the 5 performance views. You won't have to open the script editor to view and operate all the scripts then, which is an advatage given K2's slowdown, when the script editor is open.

Go Back to forum