• Register
  • Help

Topic: The newer generation of computers

Share/Bookmark

The newer generation of computers

As virtual instruments become the mainstay of my arsenal, my P4 2.4 is no longer powerful enough to do what I need it to do. I do have a seperate machine for orchestra samples , choir etc. but my sequencing machine with cubase chokes more often than it used to.
    I have been using a Dell machine since late 2003 and though many of you may chuckle at my choice, it has been rock solid over the years. Because of my positive experience and price/performance factor, I am highly considering another Dell. My question to you is: Duo core vs Quad core, if they both have the same amount of RAM will there be really double the benefit (performance)? At this point I realise I probably will have to buy XP to replace Vista (or have a dual boot system) but it's my thinking that more RAM is probably more important than the CPU choices above. Will a Quad core have excessive fan noise? If I do get XP , should I go 64 bit?
    I look forward to your suggestions.

Re: The newer generation of computers

Great question and one that I asked over at the Sound On Sound PC forum:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/sh...b=5&o=&fpart=7

Scroll down to to where I posted the same question and you will see Martin Walkers reply (he's the PC Music writer for SOS and the forum moderator).

And I don't think you can build a dual boot Vista and XP puter, but I may be wrong.

I am going to build a new puter soon and will definitely use a Quad core - the price difference is negligable for a 30% + hike in performance. I will also use sound damping material in the PC from Quiet PC which helped a lot on my P4 2.4 machine I have now.

Check out the same question I asked at the bottom of the page and the reply I got from Martin Walker, the PC Music writer for SOS magazine:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/sh...b=5&o=&fpart=7

Also I may be wrong but I don't think you can have a dual boot Vista and XP machine.

Yes, you can do a dual boot XP and Vista machine! Install Windows XP first and then install Vista. Vista using a new boot manager. BTW, I have 2 different Windows XP partitions besides the Vista and they all work fine. The Vista boot manager will come up first and will give you an option to boot to Vista or to a prior version of Windows. If you have more than one version of the older Windows OS, then you'll get another screen in which to pick the earlier versions of Windows.

Jim

Thanks Hadyn, I stand corrected. Seems you have to load XP first though?

Yes, XP has to be loaded first.

Jim

Go Back to forum