• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Shostakovich - Festive Overture - CMB Rendering

Share/Bookmark

Shostakovich - Festive Overture - CMB Rendering

Band concerts typically open and close with exciting works to grab the attention of the audience and leave them with something to think about. In the long list of the concert band repertoire a few clearly stand out. One of the all time greatest is the Shostakovich, "Festive Overture" Opus 96, composed in 1954 for orchestra. This version is a transcription for wind orchestra by Donald Hunsberger, for many years the musical director of the famed Eastman School of Music's Wind Ensemble.

This rendering was produced using Finale 2006 and the Garritan Concert and Marching Band Library with exceptions as noted. The Finale score input was 60 pages of 26 stave score. The instruments used are a mix of solo, group solo and group instruments to produce the clearest sound give the enormity of the score. The instruments used are as follows;

Piccolo Group 1
    Flute Group 1
    Oboe Solo 1
    Oboe Solo 2
    English Horn 1 Plr 1 (GPO Library)
    Eb Clarinet Solo 1
    Bb Clarinet Group Solo 1 KS
    Bb Clarinet Group Solo 2 KS
    Bb Clarinet Group Solo 3 KS
    Eb Alto Clarinet Solo 1
    Bass Clarinet Solo 1
    Contra-Bass Clarinet Solo 1
    Bassoon Solo 1
    Alto Sax Group Solo 1 KS
    Tenor Sax Group 1
    Baritone Sax Group 1
    French Horn Group Solo 1 KSM
    French Horn Group Solo 2 KSM
    Trumpet Group Solo 1 KSM
    Trumpet Group Solo 2 KSM
    Trumpet Group Solo 3 KSM
    Trumpet Group Solo 4 KSM
    Trombone Group Solo 1 KSM
    Bass Trombone Solo 1 KSM
    Baritone Group Solo 1 KSM
    Tuba Group Solo 1 KSM
    Timpani
    Cymbals GPO
    Bass Drum GPO
    Snare Drum (GPO LIbrary)
    Triangle
    Glock GPO

http://www.box.net/shared/preclg6oni

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Note: This work is copyright 1965 MCA Music and is presented here solely for the purpose of demonstration. No other permissions are granted for use or performance.

Re: Shostakovich - Festive Overture - CMB Rendering

Wow, Gary -- a ton of work on this, but well worth it! Very nice job rendering and realizing a venerable piece of band literature. Congratulations ! ...and thanks for offering up another example of CMB possibilties. I enjoyed listening (and reminiscing -- played this many times many years ago).

Great rendering. An exciting show-opener for sure.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Hi Gary,

I really like Shostakovich and this piece is no exception. This must have been a huge amount of work. Did you enter the notes with a mouse, a keyboard or what? Anyway, good job on this huge project.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    Wow, Gary -- a ton of work on this, but well worth it! Very nice job rendering and realizing a venerable piece of band literature. Congratulations ! ...and thanks for offering up another example of CMB possibilties. I enjoyed listening (and reminiscing -- played this many times many years ago).
    Dan,

Thanks for your comments. Yes it was a lot of work. Fortunately, there is a great deal of doubling between sections. So cut and paste is a huge plus. And then careful listening for defects in the entry...haha. But the outcome is stunning.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig
    Great rendering. An exciting show-opener for sure.

--gary shannon
    The great opener of all times I think. Thanks for stopping by to hear it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Hi Gary,

I really like Shostakovich and this piece is no exception. This must have been a huge amount of work. Did you enter the notes with a mouse, a keyboard or what? Anyway, good job on this huge project.
    Trent,

I used a keyboard to play in the notes with few exceptions. There is a lot of doubling between sections. So thankfully that helped speed up the project. Overall I spent about 3 weeks on and off to bring it to this point.

Thanks for stopping by and for your comments.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary, you sure have a flare for interpreting great works. This is wonderful. Where do you find the time to transcribe this stuff? I enjoyed this.
    -Jay

Thumbs up Re: Shostakovich - Festive Overture - CMB Rendering

Outstanding sound you achieved, those large brass groups, clarinet groups, those clear and penetrating solos. This is a great work and you have none a fantastic job of rendering it, BRAVO!

You placed this note at the bottom:
    "Note: This work is copyright 1965 MCA Music and is presented here solely for the purpose of demonstration. No other permissions are granted for use or performance."

So, you had to request and recieve permission from them to post this? Or is it where if it is stated for demonstration only, you don't have to get permission?
    The reason i ask, is I was thinking of doing a GPO or GPO/JABB rendering of spiegel Im Spiegel.

David

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    Gary, you sure have a flare for interpreting great works. This is wonderful. Where do you find the time to transcribe this stuff? I enjoyed this.
    -Jay
    Thanks Jay. This is one of the great works of its kind. It is a lot of work to simply enter the notes let alone put in the markings. I do it a few pages at a time as I can. And then spend a lot of time reviewing it and tweeking levels and the like until it is were I want it to be.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast