Topic: Word of the Week: RECALCITRANT

Share/Bookmark

Word of the Week: RECALCITRANT

Reberclark has suggested our new word for the week:

RECALCITRANT
    Pronounced Re*CAL"ci*trant

Recalcitrant means:

1. hard to do or handle: difficult to deal with or operate
    2: stubborn resistance to and defiance of authority or guidance.
    3: :not responsive to treatment
    synonym: UNRULY

Right now I am struggling in front of the computer with a recalcitrant program.

Thanks Reber for this week's word.

And feel free to volunteer some of your favorite words for the next Word of the Week.

Gary Garritan

Re: Word of the Week: RECALCITRANT

If you look Recalcitrant up in the dictionary my mother-in-law's picture is there!

Peace

rikp

Recalcitrant seems to describe how hard it is to get work done with my AP Chem homework in the way.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

This has been a favorite word in the Mac community for errant peripherals for a long time. They seem to prefer it over malfunctionaing, bad, broken or down.

Quote Originally Posted by rikp
    If you look Recalcitrant up in the dictionary my mother-in-law's picture is there!
    Right next to my dog's!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I think I dated a woman by that name once.

The word Recalcitrant became part of the vocabulary of almost every Australian about fifteen years ago when the then Prime Minister used it to describe the Malaysian Head of State. It caused huge diplomatic issues between the two countries and was in the media for ages.

Ah recalcitrant!

That word was introduced to the Australian nation in November 1993, by the then Prime Minister, Paul Keating. At the APEC summit held in Seattle (where presumably, he *didn't* confuse it with "OPEC", nor did he claim to be from "Austria"), he described the Malaysian Prime Minister, Dr Makathir, as "recalcitrant". The people of Australia, as one, all reached for their primary school dictionaries to look up this interesting "new" word.

Meanwhile, Austral-Asian relations reached a diplomatic low as the Malaysian authorities had quick access to better dictionaries ...

It was a fun time for us all. We tried our very best to include "recalcitrant" in every conversation.

Paul Keating's other claim to fame (in my opinion) was 10 years earlier, in his previous role as Treasurer to the Australian Government. He "floated" the Australian Dollar, and deregulated much of the local financial industry; heralding a new age in economic uncertainty and other disasters, and enabling the Australian nation to share the devastation of the 1987 stock market crash.

David (nostalgic, but tongue firmly in cheek)

Hello Alan - great minds think alike! You have the advantage of being in a timezone 30 minutes ahead of Adelaide :-)

Good on you Davo!

Nice to see a fellow Aussie on here.

Congrats to the Power for beating the Kangas.

Go Back to forum