• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Christmas Festival Overture (Concert Band)

Share/Bookmark

Christmas Festival Overture (Concert Band)

It's September and high school bands are starting to practice music for their Holiday/Christmas concerts. I was looking for a piece to get my school's band to play (or at least attempt to play) before I try and pull out one of my harder pieces for the spring concert next year. I decided to bring back my Christmas piece that I composed in 2005 as a concert band version due to the ease at which it can be played (and due to the christmas CD coming up and the release of CoMB). I also gave the piece a name this year. You can listen to the piece at:

http://musichostr.com/music/17
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Re: Christmas Festival Overture (Concert Band)

CJPro:
    I listened to your piece but your web site would not not me in so I'll comment here.
    It is very well done and should work very well with a young band. It captures much of the traditional holiday sounds but is still a fresh approach. It seemed rather short or is this just an excerpt?

I have some further questions:
    Is it "notated?"
    Who did your scoring for band?

sos

sosmus, I noticed you were having a little difficulty with the website...check your email.

Anyways, that is the full length of the piece. I tried lengthening it, yet it just seemed to lose its charm. It is notated in Sibelius 4.1 and I scored it for band.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Hi CJ, this will be a boon to many high schools looking for music. I love the percussion and the bells and it is as you say pitched at a level that will make it accessible to many.

A great piece.

Hi CJ, I thought this was great Good rendering and fantastic writing. Definitely is full of festive feeling.

Fantastic

Kev
    You can listen to my latest piece here -

CJPro,

Great writing and great adaptation to concert band. It is very much in line with what a good band can perform.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Very festive. It sounds perfect for a high school concert band. I also think the word “Overture” in the title is appropriate – In a lot of ways this sounds like an intro to something else, that the main show has yet to start, maybe keeping a similar feel by going into “Sleigh Ride” or slowing down into something like “Silver Bells” next.

Anyway, very nice holiday concert piece.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: Christmas Festival Overture (Concert Band)

Excellent overature, excellent andante, excellent Instrumentation, (perhaps a little more brass would be in order) I think that most high school band directors that are competant would love your work. Congratulations,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by taylorchandler
    Excellent overature, excellent andante, excellent Instrumentation, (perhaps a little more brass would be in order) I think that most high school band directors that are competant would love your work. Congratulations,
    John
    I actually like the sound provided by the french horn in the original piece for the melody, the problem is that my school's band has only 1 french horn, but 7-8 alto saxes. Had to trade off there a little bit.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

it IS very pretty, and I also find it a little short... a "B" section might have suited it? A very contrasting second theme, something lyrical and singing, maybe chorale like?

An idea might be to follow John Williams' lead and do a second theme, in a new key, however, design it in such a way as to be able to superimpose it on the 1st theme for the finale. He did this with my most favourite work of his: Hymn to New England.

I'm wondering about the technical limitations of a highschool band. Might you have "filled out" the harmony a bit more and it still have been not too difficult? It just felt a tiny bit thin in spots. Maybe a bit of thickening of the melody itself?

It's very catchy, however, and I'm sure it will be a big hit with Highschool bands.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast