• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Assert Evil : (Mostly Completed)

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Assert No Evil : (Mostly Completed)

No one has really grasped that the D section after the second fast section, is supposed to be like a time clock counting down, as if tressa and I are running out of time together. So with a few new percussion, you know, things, as I believe it was bower's suggestion in the last post, that I use some more percussion to enhance the beauty of the music. I think its starting to show its true colors. Please if you have listened before, thank you, and feel free to listen to this new post.

http://www.box.net/shared/14n34iy3oe
    -----MP3

http://www.box.net/shared/fl8vi84tn1

------ Score PDF
    Last edited by tubajedimr; 09-25-2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Title Change
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Re: Assert Evil : (Mostly Completed)

This is my first time hearing this, as I hadn't tried the earlier versions. I think I was put off by the title - I assumed it was an "action thriller" movie scene. Glad I got over my reluctance, as this is quite beautiful. I builds very nicely, and sustains its momentum.

I like the way you weave solo instruments into the ensemble texture - not the solos, but the use of a solo cello in the lower strings to give more definition. The piano could be tweaked a little - it sounds a little stiff. But that is a minor quibble - this is a really nice work. Two listens so far, and I'm sure I'll be back for more.

Sorry it took me so long...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Wow you have developed this into a fantastic piece It has great depth to it and grows in stature as it progresses throughout the various sections.
    The only critique I have is that I felt it ends rather abruptly. It would be nice to perhaps bring everything back down and end the piece similarly to how it had started.

Well done

Kev
    You can listen to my latest piece here -

Nice work! I like how you build the tension with bold brass lines. I can definitely tell you've put in a lot of thought and effort into this. Very enjoyable.
    John Dickason.

Hi, Tuba

When I saw your newer post here, I thought the subject line must have typos in it - since it's such a re-working of the original. - ! -

And this is certainly a wonderful re-working of your music. Certainly goes through MAny changes of mood, and each is very clearly and boldly done.

The ending - !!--Abrupt can be great and effective, but I feel this needs a bit more of something to work. Tutti? Percussion? Longer reverb tail--well, then it wouldn't be as sudden. Not sure - but it's almost sounding like an error.

Tuba - I strongly suggest you change the title asap. Ron's reaction of being put off is probably a reaction many people would have. I understand it's a play on words, a message to Tressa - But step back and look objectively at that. "Assert Evil." - Does that prepare listeners in the way you want? Does it not sound like a Heavy Metal monstrosity of some sort, or the sound track to another schlocky zombie movie? - I feel your thoughtful composition deserves a more appropriate title.

Thanks for letting us hear your developments!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Great minds must think alike, because I got the same feeling as my piece decended the page with no comments. I think I will try one more time, but for now its going to remain in this page with the title. Yestrday evening my friend and I were discussing a title change, and he went with Assert No Evil. It remains with the same design, but livE oN tressA i thinkreversed is a little more appropriate. My friend is really smart when it comes to stuff like that. So I must agreewith him, Assert No Evil has become the official title.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster

My demos:

What a beautiful piece of music. I enjoyed the changes very much and it has such a powerful mood to it; very uplifting and majestic and serious without going over the top into melodrama. As for the title, I personally found it intriguing; as a fan of dark music it piqued my interest much more so than "Symphony X Op XX" or "Concerto for a Bunch of Instruments" would have, but the music itself wasn't too dark at all and the new title does seem more fitting (and slightly more clever from a wordplay perspective).
    Even us plebeian heavy metal listeners can appreciate a good piece of music, regardless of the title.
    Very nicely done!
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

Quote Originally Posted by tubajedimr
    Great minds must think alike, because I got the same feeling as my piece decended the page with no comments. I think I will try one more time, but for now its going to remain in this page with the title. Yestrday evening my friend and I were discussing a title change, and he went with Assert No Evil. It remains with the same design, but livE oN tressA i thinkreversed is a little more appropriate. My friend is really smart when it comes to stuff like that. So I must agreewith him, Assert No Evil has become the official title.
    Beautiful, powerful, and subtle. I like it a lot.

Clever title, particularly Assert No Evil. You do have a smart friend.

Thumbs up Re: Assert Evil : (Mostly Completed)

tubajedimr,

What an amazingly beautiful piece! A masterpiece! This is what make this THE listening room. Outstanding!!

David

You're too kind David, really. I appreciate that. It all came from the heart. Without a doubt I don't know of a place I'd rather bring my compositions too. Sorry, I just got done spilling my heart out about the listening room, and it really touched me to read everyone's comments, and how we all seem to be like one family despite our great distance.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster

My demos:

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast