• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: String Libraries

Share/Bookmark

String Libraries

I'm looking for a string library that can play convincingly across the style spectrum. I'm leaning towards Symphonic Orchestra strings, but I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have.

Re: String Libraries

i like the Apassionata strings from VSL.
    Very lush sound with lots of articulations and good realtime controlability.
    Check the demos at www.vsl.co.at

Hans

Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings is excellent. Most people say it is only good for a small sound, but you can get it to sound big using octave and unison doublings.

I have SI strings, and they are good. I also have all of the VSL strings are there are a great deal of articulations. I would think with VSL, you would be able to create a sound for any style of music. The chamber strings package for example, has portatmento and gypy style techniques.

Has Kirk Hunter re-recorded his solo strings?

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler
    i like the Apassionata strings from VSL.
    Hans
    VSL's Appassionata strings have my recommendation.

Really pleased with VSL Appassionata, Solo, and Chamber strings here. There are so many articulations that it's a bit intimidating and takes a while for you to learn which articultations are going to be the best in a given phrase. Add to that the fact that there are MANY velocity layers and you can see that it's no easy horse to master.

I feel that each VSL user may use very different articulations to achieve like results. I can see my self (having just begun diving into the articulations) moving towards a certain defined sample set, getting comfortable with what sample goes where to achieve the effect I want. It's a long and fun process.

Mahlon

Frankly, Appassionata doesn't have all that many articulations, compared to most of VSL's offerings. Hopefully, they will expand on the Appassionata sound.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Frankly, Appassionata doesn't have all that many articulations, compared to most of VSL's offerings. Hopefully, they will expand on the Appassionata sound.
    Yes, this is one of the reasons I did not rush out to buy Appassionata Strings, I think they need to produce a complementing set i.e...

(Appassionata Strings 2) which will make it a more comprehensive set of large strings !

I think the current "Appassionata Strings" needs additional articulations, especially for short strings.

I have brought this issue up a while ago on the VSL and other forums, but so far, there does not seem to be any mention of "Appassionata Strings 2", which would offer more of the shorter artriculations, plus much more, that would futher complement the current Appassionata Strings.

Well, I'm hoping that this might change in the near future.

It is my understanding (though I may be mistaken) that Appassionata Strings have large sections only, and only have one Violin section rather than two.. If this is the case, no matter how amazing they sound, they cannot replace a smaller ensemble (such as Sonic Implants strings, or the regular VSL strings) where you can get more realistic results in divisi sections.

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3
    It is my understanding (though I may be mistaken) that Appassionata Strings have large sections only, and only have one Violin section rather than two..
    Dalek,

You are correct.

Go Back to forum