• Register
  • Help

Topic: New World Symphony - GPO + Sib Ess.

New World Symphony - GPO + Sib Ess.

Okay, here's my first arragement that I'm posting for everyone to hear. It's my first movement of Antonin Dvorak's New World Symphony, arranged for a marching band's Hornline, no battery or pit. It is based on the 1989 Phantom Regiment arrrangement, but with my own flare thrown in.

This was made in Sibelius 5, using mostly GPO except for the saxes, which used the Sib Essentials library, which use the saxes from JABB. I'll repost everything once Sibelius sends me CAMB and JABB.

1 Flute
    2 Clarinets
    2 Alto Saxes
    1 Tenor Sax
    3 Trumpets
    2 Mellophones
    2 Baritones
    2 Euphoniums
    1 Tuba

Please tell me what you think. I'm barely in college, so it may be ruff.
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Re: New World Symphony - GPO + Sib Ess.

Welcome to the forum. A really fine first effort you have going there. That is a most interesting arrangment of the Dvorak, and all brass, my favorite section by the way You will love working with the CMB. There are an increasing number of posts with it as it gets out and around.

Thanks for sharing your music with us.

Shelton, Washington State

This sounds pretty good to me. I can tell it's a notation program but I have read there are ways to overcome some of the limitations of notation apps.

I heard some distortion at about 1:12, mostly on the right side.

A strong first post.

Hello, Anthony, and welcome to the Garritan Forums!

Great music to work on, and I like it that you've played with the arrangement you based this on, adapting and personalizing it. It takes some people a very long time to feel confident enough to do any re-arranging of established works, and I think they're missing out on a lot of fun that way.

Phil's observation about this sounding like a notation program recording is understandable to me. There's an absolute quantization in your work here which can make the Brass sound a bit like an organ. Finale users have "Human Playback" which does a good job of jostling the note-on events so they aren't so perfect - perhaps Sibelius has a utility similar to that?

If you can find a way to make more use out of reverb, that will also help give your results a more natural sound - If you're concerned about more realism in your recordings, I shouldn't assume you are.

Thanks for sharing the nice work!

Randy B.

A big welcome to the forum, Anthony!

I know you're still getting a handle on the finer points of
    control and getting a notation program to behave -- but
    the arranging... nice job on this. In live performance, I
    think this would really speak superbly.

Keep it coming!

My best,

Go Back to forum