Silent Night, 3:30, 6.4Mb

Title...............Silent Night
    Genre.............Christmas - Gospel Piano
    Composer........Darwin Kopp
    Comp date.......September 2007
    Comp time.......about 10 days (!)
    Samples..........GPO Steinway
    Monitors..........Sennheiser HD 580

Here's this year's Xmas offering. Whenever I hear this melody, I like to imagine it going something like this.

The form is intro, three times through the melody (each increasingly more elaborate), and a short coda. The final C13 chord gives the slightest hint of Jingle Bells on the #11.

Re: Silent Night - GPO Steinway

All that's missing is Ray Charles - kept waiting for him (and his chorus) to leap in. Nice, very nice!
    Ron Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    All that's missing is Ray Charles - kept waiting for him (and his chorus) to leap in. Nice, very nice!
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Very nice arrangement. Silent Night in the French Quarter of Bethlehem. I like the Jingle Bells homage.

Great Gospel arranging. I can see the momentum building
    as the Carol unfolds. The rhythmic accompaniment is a
    definite enhancement to the basic triadic harmony of this
    great Carol.

Very creative work, Darwin.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I was waiting for Whoopie Goldberg. I don't know where the rest of you were. Ray Charles...are you serious. It's all about Whoopie in Sister Act. Obviously I'm kidding.

I love Ray. Don't get me wrong.

Very nice stuff. I'd like to hear this with some backing instruments. Like a jazz band or something. That'd be Bad A--. And none other than Ben Maisonet (me) playing the written Tuba Solo.
    Yours Truly,
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:

Darwin! - It's a first for me, to hear Gospel here in the LR, and I'm loving it--Listened, well had to get up and waltz around to it actually, now I'm listening again and typing--just to say I love it!

Randy B.

Wilton, NH

A different take on this than I’ve ever heard (don’t get a lot of gospel up in this neck of the woods). I liked this a lot. I'm not 100% fluent in gospel, but from my limited experience this sounds very authentic. I do have to say, though, that the little “Jingle Bells” at the end reminds me a little of something from “Charlie Brown Christmas”.
    Trent P. McDonald

Whoopie Goldberg. Ray Charles. Charlie Brown. I was
    waiting for one of these guys to somehow get Hermione
    Gingold in there... rofl.

Loved it!

My best,

Thanks, everyone, for listening and the thoughtful feedback.

If anyone one is interested, here's another Xmas tune in the same style that I did last year:

O Holy Night, 1:59, 2.7Mb

I'm thinking it would be nice to eventually develop a folio of these and offer them to a publisher. A set of Gospel Christmas arrangements of varied difficulty would be nice to have, both for playing and listening.

Darwin, very well done! I like it very much!

This pianoplaying reminds me of a great gospel- composer and producer who has had his studio in the same house where I have. I often stopped at his door and listend to his wonderful pianoplaying... .

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast