• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Music of the darker side of life

Share/Bookmark

Music of the darker side of life

For me, music is, among the many other things it is to me, a way to creatively channel the difficult emotions into something creative, with the possibility of working through them to a positive outcome... so, here are a couple "darker" pieces of mine... BTW, I love the sound of an organ at full blast! These are older pieces.

Cruelty, Martyrdom, and Transcendence:
    In the Lion's Mouth:
    http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...053&q=hi&ref=2

Anger and Surrender:
    Symphony No. 1 mv 3 "Nigredo"
    http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...056&q=hi&ref=2
    Last edited by KE Peace; 09-24-2007 at 02:59 PM. Reason: fix a link

Re: Music of the darker side of life

I'm afraid I can't STAND organ music, so if you permit me, I'll skip right to the symphony movement.

I thought there was some extremely interesting material in this movement. To my ear, there's still a bit of room for improvement as far as the orchestration is concerned - meaning a bit more colour and a bit of help with some of the "punches".

For example, at around 1 minute, when the little clarinet "flourish" happens, I think it might have worked a bit ebtter if it had been a larger flourish... more instruments. Again, at 2:15 when teh percussion drop out and teh strings are left standing alone, I think I'd have liked to have had more "bang for my buck" on the last note of timpani, how about a brief crescendo to an orchestral tutti at that point. It would make the sudden contrast to strings alone stand out more.

I think the next point you need to explore is mixing and matching orchestral choirs a bit more. I sensed just a tiny bit too much "clarinets here; flutes here; and trumpets here...". More mixed colours willl work more effectively to create the brilliant orchestration your music deserves.

All that being said, bravo, this was a very effective symphony movement, none the less.

Thanks Michel,

I always appreciate how carefully you listen and the feedback that comes from that. This piece is quite old -- almost a year ago now I think --, and I think (hope!) since then I've learned much more about orchestration -- in part from your feedback as a matter of fact.

Unless there is some call for this piece ( which is unlikely ), I probably won't go back and change it because I just have too much on my plate right now -- but every point you make here will help me as I write current and future pieces. Especially, you have taught me to listen for the combinations of instruments, their balance vertically, as well as horizontally (ie, their overall presence in a piece.)

As always, Michel, thanks for listening and for teaching me how to be a better composer! I'm going to go back and listen to it again with your suggestions in front of me so they sink in better.

Warm Wishes,
    Karen
    Last edited by KE Peace; 09-24-2007 at 02:50 PM. Reason: add more

Michel, Just listened again, and agree with all that you have said. Thanks again!

(Just an aside, when I wrote this movement I was rather UPSET and that, too may have somewhat impacted my orchestration

Karen, I think your musical ideas are beautiful and they definately merit all the attention anyone can give them.

I'm glad some of what I say is of any help to you.

I also have a little trouble appreciating organ music. Don't know why but maybe comes from when as a kid, expected music at a Catholic Mass to be the most beautiful music in the world, but instead it was kinda dreary organ music.

But i think you have done a great job with organ though with a well written piece.

The Symphony Mvmt I truly loved, particularly those chromatic falls in there think are a very beautiful touch, they sound awesome. As a whole it all sounded awesome... and that low brass that starts at 3.37

I'm not at a level where i can give much in the way of constructive criticism, but wanted you to know i'm very impressed with both your writing skills and your abilty to make great sounding recordings.

David

Karen,

Wow...I just listening to "In the Lion's Mouth". That is very impressive, I so like organ music and I think the choice of instrument is the perfect match for the emotions that you are trying to convey.

Listening to Symphony now and I find it equally enjoyable. Obviously a more complex work to score and manage overall. Ok..a few tweeks here and there. But on the whole I think it has great potential going for it. I think that this piece would also score nicely for wind orchestra! It is not so overly technical that a good wind group should be able to pull it off.

You have a really great style and lots of good musical ideas. Keep them coming!!!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

As much as I must agree that I too am not an "organ" person, although I do have a few, I must itterate that for organ music, it is very impressive. Not something I'd hear our church playing a lot of, I guess it's because they prefer major chords. No, but seriously this is great stuff. I too feel like some more nuances and flourishes would enhance the piece. The dynamic range of the piece overall isn't to great which doesn't hold my interest so much. Not that its bad orchestrating so much as lack of nuance. I can tell you're an experienced writer, even if not a professional, you do have knowledge of the instruments capabilites and use.

At 2:30 as I listen I feel like the violins are dominating, even though it seems like the flute should probably be dominating the mood. Just an opinion.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Hi Karen,

Your symphonic piece...

You definitely have a gift for attention-grabbing themes and developing them throughout this piece. The rhythmic drive you incorporate is also quite effective and lays down a solid groundwork for those themes to emerge from. I definitely sense the darkness of emotion that prompted you to compose this.

You mentioned that this was written some time ago; I think it would be well worth the effort to possibly revisit it and flesh it out a bit more from an orchestration standpoint. With the skills you've obviously honed so well since, I think you'd end up with an outstanding work that's already quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by tubajedimr
    As much as I must agree that I too am not an "organ" person, although I do have a few, I must itterate that for organ music, it is very impressive. Not something I'd hear our church playing a lot of, I guess it's because they prefer major chords. No, but seriously this is great stuff. I too feel like some more nuances and flourishes would enhance the piece. The dynamic range of the piece overall isn't to great which doesn't hold my interest so much. Not that its bad orchestrating so much as lack of nuance. I can tell you're an experienced writer, even if not a professional, you do have knowledge of the instruments capabilites and use.

At 2:30 as I listen I feel like the violins are dominating, even though it seems like the flute should probably be dominating the mood. Just an opinion.
    Thanks Leaf, Gary, "Tuba" and Danny, much appreciated. "Tuba", in the above suggestions, i'm a little confused where the organ feedback ends and the orchestral begins.

Thanks again for listening and taking the time to give feedback!

Karen
    Last edited by KE Peace; 09-24-2007 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added Gary - forgot to thank him, too

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast