• Register
  • Help

Topic: a few gofriller questions

Share/Bookmark

a few gofriller questions

hi, firstly apologies for my newb-ness in regards to technical terms but i have a couple questions regarding the gofriller cello:
    1. i'm looking for a particular sound, short hits similar to the 'stops' demo on the garritan site, but much more aggressive. in the reason orkester library there is something called 'bartok' which i assume is a method of striking the strings with the bow that mr. bartok invented. anything that can get that 'mean' in gofriller? i need the sound to stand on its own as say a cello quartet, rather than within a complete orchestra so it needs to be convincing.
    2. will i run into any frustrating limitations without owning a full version of kontakt? i own gpo and find the player limiting (not to mention the fact i've got no love for NI, but who does?)
    3. what exactly will i be missing out on without aftertouch and with only a five octave keyboard. i've got a mess of controllers, so i can at least re-assign expression/at to other controllers, but i'm worried i'll be missing an octave of critical controls with my controller.

Re: a few gofriller questions

Quote Originally Posted by scientist
    hi, firstly apologies for my newb-ness in regards to technical terms but i have a couple questions regarding the gofriller cello:
    1. i'm looking for a particular sound, short hits similar to the 'stops' demo on the garritan site, but much more aggressive. in the reason orkester library there is something called 'bartok' which i assume is a method of striking the strings with the bow that mr. bartok invented. anything that can get that 'mean' in gofriller? i need the sound to stand on its own as say a cello quartet, rather than within a complete orchestra so it needs to be convincing.
    2. will i run into any frustrating limitations without owning a full version of kontakt? i own gpo and find the player limiting (not to mention the fact i've got no love for NI, but who does?)
    3. what exactly will i be missing out on without aftertouch and with only a five octave keyboard. i've got a mess of controllers, so i can at least re-assign expression/at to other controllers, but i'm worried i'll be missing an octave of critical controls with my controller.
    1) Bartok pizz is snapping the strings. This is not sampled for the Gofriller. You do get normal pizz, staccato, marcato, and martele articulations though. It could be simulated to a certain extent with proper EQing.
    2) The Gofriller in the K2 player is the same as full K2, because the instrument is locked from editing.
    3) Aftertouch is used for vibrato speed, so that's what you'd be missing. Additionally, I think a 5 octave controller will leave you a little short. For LIVE playing, you'll need to sacrifice the keyswitches or the very upper register.

thanks for the quick info,
    so what exactly is the keyboard control layout? i looked for this information but didn't spy it on the garritan site. i'm assuming bottom 3 octaves are various control options and the top 3 octaves are the playable notes?

Quote Originally Posted by scientist
    thanks for the quick info,
    so what exactly is the keyboard control layout? i looked for this information but didn't spy it on the garritan site. i'm assuming bottom 3 octaves are various control options and the top 3 octaves are the playable notes?
    There is one octave of keyswitches:
    • Normal - Mono (Legato)
    • Normal - Poly
    • Mute - Mono (Legato)
    • Mute - Poly
    • Staccato
    • Marcato
    • Martele
    • Una Corda - Mono (Legato)
    • Una Corda - Poly
    • Tremolo
    • Pizz
    • Natural Harmonics

Then there is the cello's range which spans almost four octaves. So actually, it seems a 5 octave controller would be sufficient. You'll just need to set up the transposition correctly, so that you're activating the right 5 octaves from your controller.

Go Back to forum