• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using Logic in conjunction with Sibelius

Using Logic in conjunction with Sibelius

Hi all,

So, I've had Logic Pro for a while now, and I've got to say, I'm pretty stoked with all it has to offer. On simple tracks which don't require a lot of serious musical material and complicated rhythms, I can just play stuff in and mix and edit and it's great.

However, in my most honest of opinions, Logic is really lacking in its score editor capabilities: particularly in the ability to enter notes quickly and easily. Sure, the step input keyboard is nice, but I'm talking about being able to simply have two separate voices on one staff, separately quantize different passages of notes (without having to go through the deal with midi regions, etc. etc.)

Anyhow, my question is this: Seeing as I an enamored with the ease in which I can do these things in Sibelius, I am wondering: is there a way to link up the thousands of sounds which come with Logic so that they can be used in Sibelius 5? I know Sibelius 5 comes with extended AU support, but I'm not necessarily talking about Kontakt stuff; just the included banks in Logic.

When I spoke with the folks at Sibelius, they mentioned that if I could somehow get Logic Pro to send its stuff out through the IAC bus, I could then get Sibelius to communicate with it. I've looked at the Audio/Midi Setup stuff and enabled the IAC bus, but I'm not exactly sure how to get Logic to communicate with it. Is this possible? Does my question make sense? Is there a better way?

Thanks a ton for any knowledge or advice you've got to offer!

Steven J. Kukla

Re: Using Logic in conjunction with Sibelius

What you do is have both Logic and Sibelius open. See if you can route the sibelius midi out port to your IAC bus within the preferences.

Next go to Logic's environment and go to the Clicks and Ports layer. You should see the IAC bus labeled in your physical input. Cable it to your sequencer input and it should work.

Re: Using Logic in conjunction with Sibelius

Excellent, I'll try this. Thanks very much, Jeremy.

Steven J. Kukla

Go Back to forum