• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Topic: adjusting the sound of strings in GPO

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    adjusting the sound of strings in GPO

    Dear All,
    I have been working with GPO instruments for relatively long time and still did not succeed to find a clever and effective way of making GPO (ensemble) strings sound more natural. Even if samples are recorded of real, living strings they sound a bit too much synthetic for me (too sharp, too "pointy", too cold). I tried the banal methods of using some sublime equlizers (in Cubase) to filter out this high pitch that makes them sound synthetic, but results were at best so-so. Perhaps one of you found a good way to make our GPO strings sound warm and natural. Your experience and recommendations will be most appreciated.
    Witold

  2. #2

    Re: adjusting the sound of strings in GPO

    Have you been to the tutorials page here on the GPO site? They have several articles about getting a good string sound.

    http://www.garritan.com/tips_tutorials.html

    - k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

    - Andy Warhol

  3. #3

    Re: adjusting the sound of strings in GPO

    Take a look to this thread.

    The second fundamental thing to take into account is a good reverb: sound reflections are an integral part of the sound, and this is even more true with raw sample libraries.

    Third, play them live and then quantize possibly nothing. It's hard (and very time consuming) to get satisfatory results by editing manually a step-by-step inputted strings line.

    Last but not least, pay attention to phrasing and breathes: these make the 70% of the job, IMHO.

    Just my 0.02 €

    Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

  4. #4

    Re: adjusting the sound of strings in GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by Coqui
    Take a look to this thread.

    The second fundamental thing to take into account is a good reverb: sound reflections are an integral part of the sound, and this is even more true with raw sample libraries.

    Third, play them live and then quantize possibly nothing. It's hard (and very time consuming) to get satisfatory results by editing manually a step-by-step inputted strings line.

    Last but not least, pay attention to phrasing and breathes: these make the 70% of the job, IMHO.

    Just my 0.02 €

    Coqui,
    Many thanks for your answer. It is exactly what I hoped to find. I will be playing with knobs in a while and will post the observations as soon as the are valid and reusable. As for reverb, of course I played with it too, but the results were never satisfatory enough, so first let us improve the dry source and then "beautifulize" the outcome.
    witold

  5. #5

    Re: adjusting the sound of strings in GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by wsuryn
    Coqui,
    Many thanks for your answer. It is exactly what I hoped to find. I will be playing with knobs in a while and will post the observations as soon as the are valid and reusable. As for reverb, of course I played with it too, but the results were never satisfatory enough, so first let us improve the dry source and then "beautifulize" the outcome.
    witold
    It's not easy to find an acceptable compromise. To me, the 5300 Hz formant of the GPO strings is really annoying, but it could well be a matter of personal taste.

    It all depends on many variables, on the orchestration itself and, furthermore, not any music is suitable to any library. Speaking in general, I think one should write music having in mind the samples rather than a real orchestra. If you try to render with GPO a Beethoven Adagio aiming to clone a von Karajan's recording, for example, you could get very frustrated.



    In the "Listening Room" there are some examples of how to mask the synthetic tone of strings. A French user (sorry, I cant' remember his/her nick) writes elegant, quasi-impressionistic pieces with a heavy use of reverb, and the whole orchestra seem to softly play some kilometers away from the listener. It's a possible solution.
    Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

  6. #6

    Re: adjusting the sound of strings in GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by Coqui
    It's not easy to find an acceptable compromise. To me, the 5300 Hz formant of the GPO strings is really annoying, but it could well be a matter of personal taste.

    It all depends on many variables, on the orchestration itself and, furthermore, not any music is suitable to any library. Speaking in general, I think one should write music having in mind the samples rather than a real orchestra. If you try to render with GPO a Beethoven Adagio aiming to clone a von Karajan's recording, for example, you could get very frustrated.



    In the "Listening Room" there are some examples of how to mask the synthetic tone of strings. A French user (sorry, I cant' remember his/her nick) writes elegant, quasi-impressionistic pieces with a heavy use of reverb, and the whole orchestra seem to softly play some kilometers away from the listener. It's a possible solution.
    You are absolutely right in your comment, but what I try to do (with your help) is to significantly reduce the amount of my annoyance. Even today (I mean before I got your recommendations) I have may own cheating tricks to hide the "electronics" of samples, but this severely reduces my freedom as a composer. I have already (very quickly) tried what you recommended on dry samples and it definitely is promissing, which means, for instance, that I eventyally will be able to write a pure strings piece without asking myself who the hell is strangling the cat. And finaly, the music I write is intended for real musicians, so sampled versions are either the illustrations of what I want the final outcome to sound, or for situations where sampled compositions are good enough for their purpose (like f.e. certain movie scores). I will be posting shortly some of my compstions in the "Listening Room", so you are very welcome to check what can be done thanks to your recomendations.
    witold

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •