• Register
  • Help

Topic: DPDAN, Where have you gone off to?

Share/Bookmark

Smile DPDAN, Where have you gone off to?

I've not seen anything from our friend DPDAN for awhile it seems now. Is all well with him? I need to get a chance to give him grief because his influence caused me to go out and buy Digital Performer on top of Logic.

Just so the tally is accurate, Dan was a major influence in my purchasing the following:

a 24 inch iMac
    Altiverb
    Digital Performer

If I pay much more attention to the man I might go bankrupt!

DPDan where are yooooooouuuuuuu?!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: DPDAN, Where have you gone off to?

I too have noticed his absence

Awe thank you Alan and Kevin,
    that is awesome all that stuff you got. PM me your mailing address
    so I can send you a few DP projects that I have done with Garritan products, then once you have loaded them and looked them over we can talk via SKYPE and go over some of the DP madness. I can give you a "Live" DP getting started tutorial. It's a great program for sure.
    Since you have a Mac, DP and Altiverb, in my very honest opinion, you don't need anything else except the latest Garritan libraires. The Steinway is going to be awesome! I am so happy for you!

So nice of you to start a topic like this, I am very surprised and humbled at the same time.

I have been busy installing a really awesome sound system in a local theater that used to be a cathedral. It will be used for small to medium theatrical shows including music concerts.

I was awarded the contract to design and install the sound system only a few weeks before the first show, which is this coming weekend. I had to do my own design and drafting of speaker "line array" hanging brackets, then hire a professional welder to manufacture them. Once I signed the contract I went directly to the job site. This old Catholic cathedral is about 135 years old with 60 foot ceilings and talk about long reverb !!! Holy cow! After the floor was raked all the way up to the balcony, and all new seats, carpet, and a bunch of stage curtains installed, the reverb time is now only about 1 second.... it is so cool! The lighting system which has over 143 instruments, and the sound system with over 7000 watts of power makes this place look and sound awesome. The auditorium did not ever have air conditioning, so that had to be installed along with a monstrous custom designed steel structure built on site to support all the overhead lighting instruments. There is rear, front, overhead and left and right side lighting angles, pretty awesome looking. The speakers I installed are manufactured by SLS Loudspeakers. This "Line Array" design stereo speaker system is bi-amplified and augmented with subwoofers. Unlike traditional speaker system designs where compression drivers (tweeters) are used with horns, this SLS design uses ribbon tweeters instead, the coverage and fidelity that this system provides is absolutely stunning. I will have some pictures soon. Can you tell I am thrilled with how it turned out? I am equally thrilled that it is finished. I have been living on minimal sleep making sure that it is completely finished before the due date... and I was early
    So that's what I have been doing lately. Tonight, I completed the installation and did some final tweaks.

It is such an honor to be associated with all you fine folks at Northern Sounds. What a great place!!!

Thank you guys
    Dan

Well that sounds pretty cool Dan, can't wait to see the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Unlike traditional speaker system designs where compression drivers (tweeters) are used with horns, this SLS design uses ribbon tweeters instead, the coverage and fidelity that this system provides is absolutely stunning.
    +100
    I am DJing on weekends and never use tweeters. Every time I use my system I am really happy.

Good to hear you are doing well, Dan!

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Well that is fantastic news - I will look forward to seeing the pictures..

I was awarded the contract to design and install the sound system only a few weeks before the first show, which is this coming weekend.
    Psst, Dan. I know where you can get a bunch of Altec Voice of the Theater speakers! All you need is on heck of a tall ladder.
    Styxx

Smile Re: DPDAN, Where have you gone off to?

That is fantastic news Dan! Pics are a must, I've never heard of such a modern rig in a cathedral. It must look and sound amazing. Given the logistics of the building it must have been a real challenge to get everything in place, even more so with the short deadline you had. Despite the long days I bet it was a great deal of fun. It is the kind of job that you ask yourself if people are really *paying* you to do what you are doing!

It sounds like this particular small theater has got some serious cash behind it. Can you give us more details on who they are and what kind of shows they will be putting on?

You do realize your next step is to have the Altiverb team create an impulse response for the theater. You should submit it on their website!

Thanks for the offer on giving me a hand with DP. It is a very kind offer and I really appreciate it. It will be a great help to get up to speed! Talk about getting lessons from the master! I'll PM you with my contact info.

Welcome back Dan!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

awe shucks

You guys are so kind,

me

I have missed you too, Dan.

Good to hear you are doing well!

Best Whishes

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum