• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Samplicity IRs vs. Altiverb

Share/Bookmark

Samplicity IRs vs. Altiverb

Having just bought the Samplicity L96 impulse response DVD, I wonder if this will be sufficient for me, or if I will eventually have to go for Altiverb.

It seems to me that Altiverb is full of features that are great, but which one does not really need to create a good emulation of various rooms - for example the ability to place the speakers anywhere you want. Also, Altiverb comes packed with tons of IRs from various existing concert halls and so on, but I wonder if this makes that much a difference to your music compared to just using the IRs from Samplicity. I mean, sure, the Samplicity IRs may not come from fancy places such as the Sidney Opera House, and they may have more anonymous names such as "026 - Large Hall 1" - but judging from the demos, the Samplicity L96 library can sound pretty damn good.

One difference I imagine can get annoying is that you can change room size and reverb time etc. in Altiverb, whereas with the Samplicity IRs you have to load a completely different set of IRs. At least that's how I think it works, I have yet to receive the Samplicity DVD, so I haven't tried it out yet.

Have any of you guys tried both Samplicity + Altiverb?

Re: Samplicity IRs vs. Altiverb

It's important to distinguish these two products.

Samplicity has libraries of Impulse Responses taken from two famous hardware reverb units. Alone, these impulses do nothing for you. You need a convolution reverb application like Altiverb (or many many others) to utilize the impulses.

Altiverb is a convolution reverb application and also it has a library of impulse responses (including many famous halls).

The impulses from Samplicity are considered very high quality by many professionals. And the impulses in altiverb are considered very high quality as well. Just be aware that you still need an application to utilize the Samplicity IRs.

I plan to buy Voxengo's Pristine Space and use the Samplicity IRs with that. This seems like a very cost efficient way of getting high quality convolution reverb.

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Again and again I get positive feedback from users that the Samplicity IRs are more accurate than similar IRs from Altiverb. The IRs are now being more and more used even by Hollywood composers and several (famous) library composers.

I always advise to use Pristine Space, since it is such a stable, no-nonsense and high quality plugin. Just compare the bug fix lists from Aleksey and Audioease. For PCs, nothing beats PS. And it has very low latency and CPU load.

hbjdk: please email me if you haven't received a download link with the most important formats.

Best,

Quote Originally Posted by hbjdk
    I plan to buy Voxengo's Pristine Space and use the Samplicity IRs with that. This seems like a very cost efficient way of getting high quality convolution reverb.
    But what about the fact (I think) that Samplicty IR's are from hardware units, and are not IR's of actual halls/spaces?

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Peter, I have pm'ed you about the download link etc.

Jeff, I don't mind that these IRs are from hardware units instead of from real spaces. My goal when making music is not to make it sound realistic, but to make it sound good - and hopefully to other people than myself also!

EDIT: Ah, I just noticed that I write about emulation real rooms in the first post in this thread => I got things mixed up in terms of what the Samplicity IRs can and cannot do. Thanks for pointing this out, Jeff. Still, what I'm after is reverb with a sound that I like, not reverb that necessarily sounds real.

I don't want to (and can't) answer for the original poster, but as an interesting side-step:

I have been contacted by the San Francisco Orchestra with some IR questions. They are using hardware reverb units for their classical (!!!) recordings and are now looking into using IRs, again from hardware devices, not from real halls.

There is really so much confusion about "real hall IRs" versus Lexicons, TCE's, Sony's etc.

If you have the money, buy a TCE, Lex or Sony, don't use "real space" IRs. This is what most pro studios do. These devices are psycho-acoustically optimized and apparently preferred by the pros over "real" space IRs.

My 2 cts, sorry for the side-step,

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    I don't want to (and can't) answer for the original poster, but as an interesting side-step:

I have been contacted by the San Francisco Orchestra with some IR questions. They are using hardware reverb units for their classical (!!!) recordings and are now looking into using IRs, again from hardware devices, not from real halls.

There is really so much confusion about "real hall IRs" versus Lexicons, TCE's, Sony's etc.

If you have the money, buy a TCE, Lex or Sony, don't use "real space" IRs. This is what most pro studios do. These devices are psycho-acoustically optimized and apparently preferred by the pros over "real" space IRs.

My 2 cts, sorry for the side-step,
    Well, I think many of these IR's are created from these units (and you get lots of units an presets). I picked up Studio Cat's IRs (which contain IR's of many top units) for far less than any one unit. Plus you have the advantage of not having to run the signal outside the computer. I think it is a very good option.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I'm a bit confused, is Samplicity the same as Best Sevice 'Halls of Fame'? This is also a collection of 32-bit L96 and TC600 IR's.

Peter.

No, it's not.

I regret that I have to explain this again and again. I tried to post about it in the NS Reverb section, but that section can't be viewed... (page errors).

The German developer of the "Halls of Fame" contacted me and we talked several times long about how to create good IRs.

We swapped some materials and by accident he just "lent" my nicknames "L96" and "T600" for his own collection, which he was asked to make for BestService.de.

We're cool now and he will change these names in a next batch of his product.

Cheers,

Peter

Go Back to forum