• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: My first GPO piece

Share/Bookmark

My first GPO piece

Well, I've finally figured out how to work GPO! I'm a technical dummy when it comes to music production, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for my first attempt at a GPO recording. Here it is:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=754356

It's the only thing on this page - its working title is Smoochflute #1 (nos 2 through 4 have yet to be recorded on GPO). I don't anticipate it still being called that, but have never been able to think of anything better. Any ideas?

I started this when I was dating my wife. I wrote it for her. The first movement is very short; the entire work is around 7 minutes long.

But for now I wanted to get something up in the forum as I'm so green about production issues.

Owen

Re: My first GPO piece

Owen, that was beautiful!

I would recommend not spreading these two instruments so far apart in the mix, it breaks down the musical cohesion. By "spreading apart" I mean using little or no pan adjustment in the mix.

Very simple, but beautiful melody, and the reverb fits the style too!
    Dan

Thanks for that - glad the reverb was ok. All those controls freaked me out!

I'll adjust the panning - thanks for the hint. Maybe I should be working with headphones to hear that sort of thing more clearly?

Very pretty tune. Beyond Dan’s suggestion of placing the instruments closer together I really don’t have any suggestions except to hurry and render the other movements – this ends way too soon.
    Trent P. McDonald

Very nice! I can only hope my first GPO rendering turns out that well. (I just got GPO but can't install it until I upgrade my hardware, so I'm just reading the manual until then.)

You're right, it is short, but that's probably a good idea for a first render. It seems like there are enough details to be concerned with without making the learning task more difficult than it needs to be.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

--!!--Well now, That certainly was pretty! Very nice in fact.

Congrats, englishgent, on your first LR post! And thanks for letting us know something about how this piece came about.

Good feedback you've gotten on your thread. The instruments seem too far apart to me also.

But you asked if you should mix with headphones to catch things like that - Be aware that on headphones, the panning is exaggerated. This piece would sound like the Flute and Piano players hated each other. lol.

For panning, I would suggest just a slight separation - maybe one to about 20 L, the other 20 R.

You have the Piano on the right, which is fine with me - Since it's a duet, only two instruments, you may want to see about switching the places between the two instruments. SOme people get very accustomed to hearing the piano slightly to the left, if it's going to be panned at all. You could start with trying to see if you can keep them happy but putting the Piano on the left.

The reverb seemed fine, I wouldn't want it to be any deeper.

You said you're a dummy at this - Not. Believe me, I've heard some fairly clumsy results from newbies, and this is anything but clumsy.

Thanks!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks everyone for your kind encouragement and helpful advice. I'll be back to this thread asap with the second movement. Hopefully by then the pianist and flautist will be friends again!

Owen

Hi Owen,

A very good first effort, a little sad and forlorn, but quite beautiful nonetheless.

Did you change the panning? I can't hear any problems.

For my taste, this is perhaps a bit too distant, reverb-wise, but still within norms.

It sounds like you've double-tracked the flute 0:40-0:50. Is this correct? If not, perhaps it's just a combination of piano, flute, and reverb at that spot.

I'd like to hear more. Thanks for posting!

Randy,

SOme people get very accustomed to hearing the piano slightly to the left, if it's going to be panned at all.
    I've never read or heard of this before. I don't think it would make any difference to me. Is it a left-brain/right-brain thing??? Are "accompaniment" pianos panned one way, while "featured" pianos the other? What's the basis of this assertion?

TIA,
    Darwin

Owen, please pardon us while your thread goes off on a bit of a tangent?

Darwin, you said:

"...I've never read or heard of this before. I don't think it would make any difference to me. Is it a left-brain/right-brain thing??? Are "accompaniment" pianos panned one way, while "featured" pianos the other? What's the basis of this assertion?..."

My suggestion that Owen try swapping the Piano and Flute, so that the Piano would be towards the left was a reference, maybe an in-joke to an interesting comment Tuba made today in reply to another piece in the LR.

He pointed out that in concert, Pianos are always slightly to to the left (stage right). He also pointed out, and he's not by any means the first person I've heard to express this opinion, that he prefers to hear Pianos slightly to the left in recordings/renderings/renditions.

On that thread I'm talking about, I replied that if someone is making a recording with the intention of emulating Real Life performance situations, then the Piano would probably be panned slightly to the left. But, I also pointed out, when we're talking about recordings, there's no reason to assume the creator of a recording wishes to emulate a Real Life performance situation - so he can pan any instrument to any place he wants - since a recording isn't bound to adhering to any pre-ordained acoustical laws.

So - that's what I was referring to.

Owen, Piano left or right doesn't matter. The point is, if you have it slightly left, where the Flute currently is, you'll satisfy people who expect a Piano to be there. It's only two instruments, and the important point is to get the two virtual musicians closer together - WHERever they're placed.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast