• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hairpin Confusion

Share/Bookmark

Red face Hairpin Confusion

Hi All ...
    ... the most unoriginal opening ever: but I HAVE to congratulate Gary on the most incredible achievement - I'm so excited!!

A little confused though: in the note to Table B in the general review of woodwind, RK warns not to confuse the 'v' shaped symbols for cresc. / dim. hairpins. I am finding it a little cryptic as to what they DO represent however.

To be honest, I am finding his differentiations between 'colour', 'expression' and 'resonance' a little ill-defined throughout this whole section ...

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Wee Gee

Smile Re: Hairpin Confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Gee

A little confused though: in the note to Table B in the general review of woodwind, RK warns not to confuse the 'v' shaped symbols for cresc. / dim. hairpins. I am finding it a little cryptic as to what they DO represent however.

Wee Gee
    Well, it is pretty clear to me. "The signs > < are not to be mistaken for crescendo and diminuendo; they indicate how the resonance of an instrument increases or diminishes in relation to the characteristic quality of its timbre."

It says for instance, for the oboe( or english horn the same family):
    The low register is rough and thick ( characteritic quality), the > says that as you go up, the property (roughness/thickness) decreases!

He wants to tell you that if you want the oboe play the Middle C soft it is going to be very hard for the oboe player to do that or the result will be unsatisfactory.

So the < /> are associated with the characteristic qualities ( dull, rough, thick, sweet,weak, piercing, clear, bright, ...) written under the range brackets!
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Go Back to forum