• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt2 Player Problems

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt2 Player Problems

I just loaded player version 2.2.3 for use with the Strad Violin, Gof Cello & Garritan Orch.
    While trying to play sounds in Garritan Orch I noticed that when I hit several keyswitches (C#, D, D#, E & F) the sounds are not playing back right - a weird, thin sort of sound is all I get.
    So I opened the old original player and to my dismay I got the warning that the patch was generated by a newer version of Kontakt player - please upgrade to load patch.
    NOW I'M REALLY SCREWED BECAUSE SOME OF MY PROJECTS USE THE OLDER PLAYER SIMPLY BECAUSE IT LOADED FASTER AND WORKED BETTER THAN THE LAST UPDATED VERSIONS OF KONTAKT 2.
    Is there a way other than deleting the new player to get the old player to work again.
    I'd like to be able to use both players like I did before.
    The reason why I loaded the new version was because I was told it would fix a few of the issues I was having (such as the Strad & Gof taking all day to load).
    I was not told that this new version would trash my old player.
    Please help me if you can.
    I have some sessions coming up in a few days and I need this stuff to be working right.

Also has any one figured out a way to get rid of the loud attack sound you get with both the Strad & Gof when the expression pedal is set to it's lowest setting?
    I like to be able to swell the volume up (like you can do with the mod wheel with Garritan Orch strings) without having that loud unnatural bow strike happening at the beginning of each passage.
    I like to perform most of my string parts live without doing too much post performance editing.
    TIA,
    Tim

Re: Kontakt2 Player Problems

Hi, Tim

I was hoping someone more expert with the KP2 upgrade would help you out here, but your question's been dangling for awhile - so let me try to help. The second half of your question I know for Sure how to help.

You're in the same position as me, wanting to have access to both the old KP1 and new KP2. For anyone who's been making music for very long at all, I can't imagine why they Wouldn't want to be able to still work with their old projects.

"...I noticed that when I hit several keyswitches (C#, D, D#, E & F) the sounds are not playing back right - a weird, thin sort of sound is all I get..."

Don't know what that is. I haven't heard that. --BUT:

"...Is there a way other than deleting the new player to get the old player to work again..."

If you look in your program files you'll see that the old GPO was placed in a newly named folder "Backup" - I think that if you find the exe of KP1 and directly open the stand-alone version, then under options you will see the window where you select the path for the instruments - Re-direct it to that moved GPO folder. The logic is simply that a program always has to be directed to where files are to be found.

That may be too sketchy - as I said, I'm not an expert on the KP2 upgrade. BUT I'm glad to say that I had Zero problems with the upgrade and I can currently use both KP1 and KP2.

It's your second question that I have the definite answer to:

"...Also has any one figured out a way to get rid of the loud attack sound you get with both the Strad & Gof when the expression pedal is set to it's lowest setting?..."

The attack is completely controlled by velocity. Low values=soft attacks and high values=aggressive attacks.

You're confusing the functions of velocity and the expression pedal. The latter is for the volume of the instrument--Just as you said, swelling and receding as needed, just as you use the mod wheel for sounds in GPO.

The hard attack Can be tricky to tame--You have to use an extremely light touch to get what you want.

"...I like to perform most of my string parts live without doing too much post performance editing..."

Sure, that's ideal. But to insure that you get the results you want, you need to resign yourself to doing post-recording MIDI editing. Go through and reduce the velocities to extremely low values wherever needed.

CAVEAT - YOu probably know that Portamento is triggered when velocities are low and notes are over-lapping. You'll get an over-abundance of slipping and sliding around at first - YOu'll find the fine balance of note length, velocities and expression pedal to achieve what you want. - It helps that medium value velocities (approx 50-70) will avoid the deep portamento but still won't give you the overly harsh attacks you're trying to avoid.

Experiment with the above--You'll soon get a handle on what I'm talking about.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

TIA,
    Tim

Thanks Randy for your reply.
    I finally got the older player to work again using information from several posts on this forum (including yours) - that was a life saver as I've been working on a few sessions from a few months ago - all using the old player.

Concerning the hard attack issue with Gof & Strad - both of my keyboard controllers (Roland & CME) have 4 selectable velocity scales but none of them seem to help. Even when I hit the key as lightly as possible I still hear that chop attack that always seems to be there.
    I wish there was a keyswitch selection that would turn off that sample.
    It would be nice to have that option for when you're playing soft passages that you want to swell in from a soft bowing style.
    The way it is now makes it sounds like the player is chopping into the first note.
    Often I like to perform the string lines live - straight to audio - bypassing the midi recorder altogether.
    I'm pretty good at playing dynamic passages - very easy with GPO & my Roland & Korg sound modules but it's nearly impossible with Gof & Strad without doing after performance surgery.
    I'm just hoping Mr. Garritan reads this and considers an adjustment.
    Besides this one anoying thing I love this software.

Hello again, Tim

I'm sure glad you got KP1 working again. It would have been much more convenient if there would have been a way for KP2 to install without disrupting the old player without all these workarounds. I can't imagine very many users who would want their older projects to suddenly be inoperable--!

Concerning the Strad and Goff attack problem - I think there must be something wrong somewhere. As you can tell from my earlier post, I know exactly what you're talking about. The "choppy attack," the aggressive attack is of course useful at times, but with velocities under 60 or so, it does soften appropriately. With very low velocities ie: 5 or 10, it's very smooth. There HAs to be a way for the keyboards you use to give you that soft of a velocity curve.

Other people have had the same complaint, but usually it's because they don't realize they're playing their keyboards with such a heavy hand. - With my humble little MK-4902 keyboard, the standard default velocity curve gives me the soft attack you're talking about when I play Very gently.

And if I have notes which are accidentally too aggressive, it is so easy to edit individual velocity values in the Sonar program I use. - To be honest, I think it's unrealistic to expect great results from straight-in live playing without editing. I could easily estimate that 80% of the work I do with my music is post-playing, massaging all the MIDI controllers to bring out the most expressiveness of the soft-synths I use, primarily Garritan libraries.

So, I do feel there's something wrong in your keyboard settings or perhaps still in the way you're playing. I'm talking about a whisper of a touch on the keys - It Is possible and can feel comfortable in a short time.

Meanwhile - I really feel you need to realize that some post-recording MIDI editing is the only way to achieve the results you want.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum