• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ramblings of an Old Man

Share/Bookmark

Ramblings of an Old Man

This piece has a few runs that I use a lot. Mostly it is just me messing around and having some fun. I have a full load at school this semester (plus work) so I do not have a lot of time for composing.
    The piano is the Steinway from Jabb and I think I have everything set right this time.
    I did this by hitting record in Sibelius and then removing 5 or 6 notes that my clumsy fingers added.

No animals were harmed during the production of this piece.
    Some of this is actually tonal as well.

Any and all comments are welcome and desired.

Here is the Mp3
    Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files

Re: Ramblings of an Old Man

Very appropriately titled, rolifer; and reflective of its topical focus.

For me, this definitely elicited thoughts of Alzheimer's, and the deeply
    moving sadness of the impairments of age...

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wow! You keyed this in real-time? If not, I'd love to see the score.

This has a great sense of freedom, and a certain atonality that is sometimes hard to achieve from sheer improvisation. My "old man ramblings" tend to sound distinctly bluesy these days.

The JABB piano sounds a little thin here, almost as if it were transposed up an octave. Are you using any kind of EQ?

As Lux suggested, this does invoke a certain kind of descent into madness. Is this what you meant by "ramblings", or were you referring to more of a free-form improv approach? On the bright side, it does manage to end solidly, if quite unexpectedly, on C major.

I hear a second piano overlaid towards the end, is this right? Two ramblers!

This was difficult to listen to because I can relate, it made me cry everytime I ever heard my grandpa ramble on and repeat himselfwithout any knowledge of who I was, or often where he was.

This song brought tears to my eyes because you dug up some old buried memories.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

This was difficult to listen to because I can relate, it made me cry everytime I ever heard my grandpa ramble on and repeat himselfwithout any knowledge of who I was, or often where he was.

This song brought tears to my eyes because you dug up some old buried memories.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Hi Rolifer,

What an interesting concept. I don't profess to fully understand many of the micronuances, but overally there are some very interesting things happening here.

There are patterns of frenetic movement mixed with confusion. I find it particularly interesting that you chose to end it with a particularly well-constructed series of flourishes that resolve themselves - the old man perhaps is just foxing that things are falling apart for him? There is a childish humour behind this that perhaps indicates this?

Very interesting...

A nice free expression of tones. What key is it in. lol. It has an interesting flow to it. Thanks for posting.
    -Jay

Hi, Ron

--!--Well, as long as YOu aren't the "Old Man" of the title - I Know you have a heavy work load at school right now, but hopefully it's not pushing you over the edge!

The EQ was mentioned- it does sound to me like the high frequencies have been boosted too much perhaps?

Liberating, I would imagine, to let this fly on the ivories as you unwind from your jam-packed days!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Well I wish I had clumsy fingers like that. I can not play my own piano pieces.

I really liked this one, even being (I'm guessing) mostly improvised, there's coherence and fundament to it, yet as somebody already sayd, it flows very well.

Mario

First off thank you to everyone that took the time to listen and to comment. I applaud each of you and give you my sincere thanks.

I wish I could say that what each of you heard is exactly what I meant to say, but sadly that is not the case. Or perhaps, happily that is not the case. The best thing about music is that we each hear what we want to hear and interpret the sounds thru our own experiences.

Sorry Randy, but I am indeed the Old man. This piece is a reflection of how I sometimes think. I will be on one subject and all of a sudden I am off on a tangent that has no logical connection to where I began.

This was all real time except for the last 2 or 3 bars. I wanted to tie it all together somehow and figured the best way would be to go with something entirely new. Hence the final is tonal and major.

I also think when I sent this thru Garritan's Studio, I had the brightness up too high, which acted like the EQ was off.

Alan, I'm glad that you picked up the humour in the end for that was intended.

To those who saw the sadness of illness's that go along with the aging process, I can relate as I also have known those such afflicted. Although my intent had nothing to do with this, I can easyly see how the connections were made.

The first time I showed this piece was to a group of youngsters and to me it seemed appropriate to title it as Ramblings of an Old man. ME. I am 49 and to some I am the youngster and to others I am older than the hills. Going back to college a few years ago has made me feel like the Old Man.

Thanks again to all.

Ron

PS In just a few more weeks I get my school loans and will be able to make my puchases of GPO and then post some of my Orchestral works. They are much more tonal (with dissonance of course) and follow more traditional lines.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast