• Register
  • Help

Topic: Why at least some theory is a good thing

Share/Bookmark

Why at least some theory is a good thing

I am 90 some measures into this piano concerto score I'm writing, and I notice I'm using a lot of accidentals and an awful lot of triplets. Then it hits me. Hey, this piece isn't in C major, it's in c minor. And those triplets, well, now that I look at it more closely, I shouldn't be writing down it in 4/4, I should be writing it in 6/8.

Oh well, it's only 90+ measures for piano and full orchestra that I need to go back and fix for key signature, accidentals and measure divisions. Hehe. Guess it pays to know at least a little theory before you forge ahead with writing down what you hear in your head.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Re: Why at least some theory is a good thing

I don't remember if it was in "Sample Libraries Discussion" or "Virtual Instruments," but in one of those two, that are at the top above Garritan when you first go to NI forums, there was a very good thread about a week or more ago about time siggy. Delek2, CallmeZoot, Prince of Music and some others had posted some very good info about choosing time sigs based on pulse and accent and tempo.

Oh wait a minute i just remembered something, i think i have it bookmarked...

well nope...

i found it though it was only three pages off the front page:

(note: there was some discussion and disagreement in that thread, but i think there was overall some good points to consider and valuable info)

Determining Time Signature for your Piece
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=55573

i've done that a few times, but changing the key should be just the click of a button right? anyway, i know the feeling of realizing its in 3s instead of triplets in 4. but 90+ measures to go back on - OUCH!!! - i've only had to do 6 or so and i thought that stunk. by the way, what program are you using, because this might be an easy fix. good luck.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Dumbest thing I've ever done in this context is to record a mockup on my clavinova then export the midi files into my DAW (Sonar 6). The default project is 4/4, so when I create a new project I sometimes forget this. My last howler was to import a 3/4 into a 4/4 project - I didn't notice until I looked at score view and the beats were falling on the wrong pulse.

Easy to fix though but it took a lot of note dragging

ColinD

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    I don't remember if it was in "Sample Libraries Discussion" or "Virtual Instruments," but in one of those two, that are at the top above Garritan when you first go to NI forums, there was a very good thread about a week or more ago about time siggy. Delek2, CallmeZoot, Prince of Music and some others had posted some very good info about choosing time sigs based on pulse and accent and tempo.

Oh wait a minute i just remembered something, i think i have it bookmarked...

well nope...

i found it though it was only three pages off the front page:

(note: there was some discussion and disagreement in that thread, but i think there was overall some good points to consider and valuable info)

Determining Time Signature for your Piece
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=55573
    Thanks for that. It was an interesting thread. After some deeper research on various theory sites I found the time signature that best describes this very fast and lively piece: 12/16. ("suitable for extremely lively and rapid music which the Italians describe with the word prestissimo [Brossard (1755)]. Hotteterre (1719) suggests that one of the earliest to use this marking in France was François Couperin" from http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory4.htm)

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    I've done that a few times, but changing the key should be just the click of a button right? anyway, i know the feeling of realizing its in 3s instead of triplets in 4. but 90+ measures to go back on - OUCH!!! - i've only had to do 6 or so and i thought that stunk. by the way, what program are you using, because this might be an easy fix. good luck.
    For the most part it's just a click away, but I end up with a lot of A# accidentals that are really supposed to be Bb's with no accidental since c minor is in three flats. That's a quick fix too, but I have to do it a note at a time since there's no block command that will do it. The fixing-upping is moving along pretty quickly, though. Another half hour and I'll be done.

I'm using Noteworthy Composer

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Very good lessons on that site, Thanks Gary! I had been using Dolmetsch's dictionary but guess i had not explored the site to see what else was on there.

Go Back to forum