• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kawai MP8 II is finally released

Kawai MP8 II is finally released

Anyone have a chance to play it yet? Wondering how it compares to the original MP8 and even the MP5.

I have an MP8 and it is just too difficult to drag around. I've been considering upgrading to an MP8 II at home and leaving the MP8 in a case in the garage. Taking it off the stand and putting it in the case seems to be the most brutal on my wrists. The alternative is picking up the MP5 if the action is much better than the MP4.

Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated.

Thumbs down Re: Kawai MP8 II is finally released

Hello everyone... I just finished taking the new MP8-II for a test drive this afternoon in Los Angeles. I'm a happy owner of an MP8, and I must say, now I'm even a HAPPIER owner of the MP8. I made sure I put in a solid few hours of work on the MP8 this morning before venturing out to the test drive so, but the difference would have been noticeable without a warm-up.

The new action feels "lighter" and almost "cheap".... I had to double check that I was playing real wood keys. Fortunately, the store had the Kawai action kiosks available for both the AWA PRO and AWA PROII. Not much difference in construction from what I can tell, but the AWA PRO keys feel much "heavier" and if you're trying to match up to a real acoustic piano, no question that you'll find the AWA PRO being closer. There is a noticeable difference in the upper registers (even much lighter) as advertised, but the transition isn't a smooth one. Also, there is a noticeable clacking of the keys as you hit the bed; I can't be sure, but I'd swear the key bed is smaller on the new action...

Like I was saying, the MP8 has been a great master controller and I can say without question that it won't be going anywhere now. I realize this is one person's opinion and it's subjective stuff we're talking about, but if you're extremely picky about your action, my bet is that you'll prefer the heavier and more authentic feel of the MP8.

Hope this helps...

Go Back to forum