• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Yellow Tools: Independence Free

Share/Bookmark

Yellow Tools: Independence Free

Well...after MANY, MANY attempts, I FINALLY got to download the Independence Free software and library. Whew...it took almost 2 weeks to be able to "log" onto their website, another 2 days to actually "create an account", and FINALLY...1.5 days to actually download everything.

The good news is...the download was a success, ALL the software and complete library downloaded without any complications. The installation was fairly straight forward, just follow the install directions and copy the sound library into the "image files" folder. I had no problem launching it in "stand alone" version however, trying to get my sequencer software to identify it and open it was another issue. First of all, the ".dll" file for the plugin doesn't specify any VST, VSTi, RTAS etc. within it's naming; the file simply says: Independence free.dll 2.0.0 so, I had to manually do a search within my sequencer program to locate it and load it into its plugin folder. It loads fine in "Reaper" but, I'm still unable to load it into Fruity Loops; I'm still working with that. In the meantime, All the sample library loads with no conflicts or issues however, trying to "export" or save anything rendered, either in stand alone or as a plugin, hasn't worked as of yet. I just might be missing something simple, or over looked how to save or export. Anyone been able to export or save within their sequencer or as a stand alone?

Other than that, alot of the instruments sound pretty exceptional; especially the world percussion, the acoustic drum kits, acoustic & electric guitar, and the synths, only to name a few. I've fiddled around with it a bit. I'm sure once they get their library in order and start adding more sample instruments, it will sound much better.

So, to sum it up...I think Independence is worth it, as far as a free library goes with 1.6 Gigs of samples that can find many uses and possibilities. The only negative(s) I have found are the hassle of the website, locating the plugin for your sequencer and saving or exporting your rendering. So, if your looking for something "different" to add to your library, go to their site and keep trying; eventually, you'll get in, and get the download.

Jaker "Shaver"

UPDATE

Well, just as I suspected, I overlooked something simple. For some reason, the VST plugin for Independence Free, when installed into the "standard" VST plugin folder, where ALL my VST's are kept on my HD, my sequencer program didn't scan that folder for updated VST's. It simply was a matter of just copying the VST plugin for Independence and pasting it into my sequencer program under it's own "specific" VST folder and tada! My sequencer recgonized it right away and loaded it! Exporting, saving, even "recording" works just perfect.

So, if anyone else runs into this problem, just copy the VST for Independence Free and paste it into your VST folder of your prefered sequencer, that "should" solve the problem. Also, my prefered sequencer is Fruity Loops so I can't speak for "other" sequencers, if this will work for them. If anyone else has any questions about Independence, I can try to answer them but, bear in mind, I'm just in the process of fiddling around with it myself.
    Last edited by shaver; 09-28-2007 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Updated info
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Re: Yellow Tools: Independence Free

That's got a lot of great sounds on it, i successfully have it on a windows xp computer, haven't played with it a lot yet.
    I wasn't able to get it running on 12" 1.5Ghz mac powerbook from the .dmg though. I downloaded more than once in case file was damaged, but no luck.
    Don't know if it required faster ppc or what the deal is.

I like the guitars and the percussion, and the arpeggiator has, for one of it's sounds, something that sounds like maybe wooden windchimes or something, has an African or Asian sound to it, very cool!

I'm running it on a Win XP Pro. dual core 3.43 gig processor. Plays really smooth with no latency. Leaf, let me know if you are able to figure out how to export or save your rendering; I've gone thru the manual now for the 4th time reading it but, still haven't found any documentation reguarding this.

Jaker "Shaver"
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

I haven't been able to figure it out yet either. I guessing the busses in the mixer may be used to output it to something else like reaper, sonar, logic, etc., but haven't been able to spend much time with it to see how to do that.

I managed to get it ok, again after some rubber room therapy - some good sounds but it didn't give me enough to put me off buying Dimension Pro

ColinD

edit: 9/28 - I hadn't read Shaver's post closely enough re: the kind of programs he'd tried Independence with.

INteresting, Shaver - Thanks for the report.

In a sequencer, seems like that .dll file in a VST folder is all that's needed, and like with any soft synths, rendering is easy as pie inside the host program. Do you suppose you still haven't found the correct .dll file which actually Is the VST?

All the hassles reported here don't have me REeeeally excited about trying it out, --but if I can find some free time, I might poke around and see what I can find.

Thanks again!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks for the heads up on this! Am enjoying playing around with my new udu and acoustic guitars!

Im sure I read somewhere that other companies were releasing instruments for this sample player...does anyone know where who what or when?

THanks
    Ben

I downloaded the Independence Free software and library. Unfortunately all the samples sounded very very slightly distorted. I could tell that behind the distortion the samples where good quality. I was supprised that i couldn't find a clean way of uninstalling the software. My system is working fine with GPO etc and changing anything to correct the distortion of the free software might upset my present configuration. I'm wondering if the download got corrupted and would every sample be effected? or may be i should try redownloading the software.I don't fancy going through the process of downloading the samples again

David

I made a little "plug&play" demo, just to show some of it sounds to a friend. I dont found them "distorted", maybe some issue with your host?
    Hear it here:
    http://stashbox.org/37460/Demo-yellow-tools.mp3
    mainly the ethnic percussion and the acoustic guitars
    Marcelo Colina

Very nice clean demo Marcelo,I'm impressed.
    By host you been sequencer etc, right? I tested the samples in stand alone mode. May be there's a conflict with other software on my system like Maple midi tools which i use with Encore.

David

Go Back to forum