• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Improve your samples", they said...

Share/Bookmark

"Improve your samples", they said...

...which is how I came to be learning GPO. I've put three GPO pieces up at http://music.download.com/timfatchen as a newcomer's (ex-lurker's) peace offering to the forum, sort of... "The Kitchen and the Sketcher" (new age) and "The Mill Pond" (ambient/neoclassical) are finished to my current satisfaction. I've also put up "April Monday" which was my first GPO output, a not-successful attempt at strings as pads without any tweaking: I'll have to re-arrange and re-engineer but at present life is too full to go back The learning curve is steep, I find. But the samples are sounding lots better than the unadorned keyboards!

Re: "Improve your samples", they said...

Very pleasant listening. I'm working my down the list. I like the inventive melody in April Monday.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

I've been listening to the first two so far, and I really like them. Very expressive, I've found them to be quite original without being a difficult listening (not that there would be anything wrong with that).

I'm going to add you to my MySpace if you don't mind, as a reminder to go listen for more.

Mario

Cool Re: "Improve your samples", they said...

Welcome to the forum, flyingtadpole!

You may want to find a different site to host your music, there is clearly something awry and peculier about this site. It places a litlle text window beside my cursor that reads "not my style" which is very weird because avery kind of music is my style, and nothing will play, when i click it does nothing.

David

I loved the hushed background chords on The Mill Pond. Very effective. Personally, I would have liked to hear a touch of reverb on the flute and solo piano. To me that would add to the mistiness of the sound. But then, coming from England, I like misty.

Very enjoyable, thanks for posting.

Owen

(I had no problem accessing the site.)

Hello, Tim "FlyingTadPole"

I just had a great time listening to what you title "The Coypu in the the Mill Pond (FAWM #9)" at Sound Click - This apparently isn't the same "The Mill Pond" you mention in your post?--because there's reference on this thread about there being a Flute in that piece? By the way--notice the typo in that title "...in the the..." - you probably would want to change that.

I tried the site you first listed for your music, but just as with David "Leaf," I had to back out without having success in playing any files. Something's wrong there it would seem.

I didn't want to click the MySpace link because I find that site so aggravating with its pop-ups, confusion of links etc.

But I guess I'm not getting the same list of songs if I go to SoundClick?

--You can get the link for individual songs at SC, and that makes it much easier/tidier for your listeners. The link you posted wasn't even going to your music page - You may want to check into the other possibilities of how to use SC.

I Really enjoyed the piano piece though. Obviously a "real time" performance, I do believe? One glaring technical issue though - You have no reverb on it, and so the results are very unnatural. It's impossible for a piano to sound that dry in real life. Just a modest percentage of a small room reverb would instantly make this a natural sounding recording.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingtadpole
    ...which is how I came to be learning GPO.

Which "they" told you to improve your samples?

I've put three GPO pieces up...as a newcomer's (ex-lurker's) peace offering to the forum, sort of...

A peace offering? What do you mean? Is there something that happened before that I'm not aware of?

the samples are sounding lots better than the unadorned keyboards!
    Do you mean you were using a synth's patches previous to owning GPO? Why were they "unadorned"--?

I'm just FUll of questions aren't I?!

I'll return to hear more music, I do wish there was a less confusing and shorter list to choose from. The most successful posts here tend to feature just one piece at a time.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thumbs up Re: "Improve your samples", they said...

Oh i didn't see those links.

I love "The Mill Pond" & "April Monday" and the others on that page too. Gifted piano work, beautiful (and the pad)!

David

Welcome FlyingTadpole:

A nice start with GPO. This little piano
    piece is charming, light, and fanciful. I
    do hear other instruments begging to be
    heard as accompaniment as well as some
    solo leads........

Keep it coming.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Your thematic brilliance is clear from the beginning. As for all of us, the technical handling of the Garritan libraries will take some time, yet even with these first presentations your music with its controlled and patient harmonies shines brightly.

The flexibility and control available with Garritan libraries make them more than worth the time to master.

Thank you for the listens and the kindly put comments and criticisms.

I take careful note of the suggestions for reverb. I tend to over-react to my "natural" state, which is normally muddy.

Most of the music starts life as piano improvisation of sorts (I may know where i want to go and have some idea of how to get there, but it changes on the way...) fed into the MIDI recorder. Being decades away from my original orchestration lessons, there's a tendency to simply exchange or worse, double the piano for strings or other.

The dense result only gets worse with reverb! So even when something is "properly" scored out, I tend to hang it out too dry. Here's where outside comment is extremely helpful.

Apologies to rbpowser and David "Leaf" and any others who had trouble with music.download.com, I'm not sure what's going on there. I used that as the "holding pen" for the GPO examples because at 192kps it has the best reproduction, and unlike other sites I park music at (particularly soundclick) you don't need to sign up first.

Now, here's a list of answers to Randy the Moderator's piercing questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    ...what you title "The Coypu in the the Mill Pond (FAWM #9)" at Sound Click - This apparently isn't the same "The Mill Pond" you mention in your post?--
    No. The whole cycle of 18-20 impressions rotates around the "big mill" a Ginal's, Quercy, France. I thought hitting the forum with all at once was not a good idea. The myspace and soundclick are my usual sig lines (!), the music.download.com was the easiest example location (?!)

I didn't want to click the MySpace link because I find that site so aggravating with its pop-ups, confusion of links etc.
    it's the shouting smilies that get to me!

But I guess I'm not getting the same list of songs if I go to SoundClick?
    Soundclick is a grab-bag combining me, the Flying Tadpole alter ego and The Internet Opera. Historically (hysterically?) a mess but too entrenched in other newsgroups etc to change now. But the soundclick page is the cheap (ie free) version and they took away the ability for free cheapies to deep link to individual pieces a couple of years ago--premium still can but you pay for that and I'm already paying elsewhere so I haven't. But I'll check to see whether they've changed it back, would be nice.

Obviously a "real time" performance, I do believe?
    Yes, most of them are. I agonise over whether to tweak the timing and sometimes have to, but I can't cope with the absolute regularity of midi timing, which is partly why electronica doesn't appeal much. My prejudice.

Which "they" told you to improve your samples?
    Professional songwriters elsewhere, my mate Nick Davis/Earl Cole (plug!), music libraries and screeners.

A peace offering? What do you mean? Is there something that happened before that I'm not aware of?
    Not on this forum. But in the dim past of the internet, Flying Tadpole was a known and feared satirist on some (non-music) portions of the internet. I've since found it safest to wave the olive branch on entry, just in case...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast