• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL Opus 1 K2 version - where to buy?

Share/Bookmark

VSL Opus 1 (K2-version) vs. VI Special Edition

Well, header says it all, really. I know it's been discontinued, but I think the library would still be pretty useful today?

Yes yes, I know Vienna Instruments are much smarter etc. etc. etc., but I am looking for an inexpensive way of getting the "Vienna sound", and I think VSL Opus 1 in the K2 version (i.e. no performance tool necessary) will give me just that. Or?

Re: VSL Opus 1 K2 version - where to buy?

It's been discontinued for a while now so it will be hard to find...

Good luck!

Thanks

Hm, I guess VI Special Edition would be a better choice though.

There are some videos of it on Best Service - I think I will watch those tonight to see in detail what SE contains (instruments, articulations, velocity layers etc.)

EDIT: Changed the header

I'm in the same boat as you. No Opus 1 for me.

If you do a search you will find out that the whole "Opu1&2 vs Special Edition" debate thingie was thoroughly debated in all musicians forums. The Special Edition offers some advantages over Opus 1/2, but you will also lose out on a great deal of what Opus had to offer. In the end you will have to decide if what you gain is worth more to you than what you lose.

My personal decision was to not buy Special Edition, back when I had a little money saved up.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

I actually just spent two and a half weeks wading through almost 300 pages of Google searches looking for Opus 1 + 2.

And two days ago, I made my purchases. Those libraries can still be had. Not in the U.S. (or anywhere in the Western Hemisphere, that I know of), and not always affordably.

Maybe Opus 2 can be found in the States, I dunno. I bought it from Best Service, who have informed me they have quite a few copies left. Which makes sense. Opus 2 is pointless without the first library, so those will be sitting there for awhile. Thomann also had it. Maybe timespace.com too, not sure.

I had about eight or nine vendors' websites scribbled down on a napkin for Opus 1. It's in the trash right now. I could dig it up if anybody really wants it... and they'll have to REALLY want it. My garbage can is gross.

I ended up buying the library from Sonic Virtual Media, VSL's distributor for Australia/New Zealand. 740 bucks U.S., out the door. They may still have some copies left. Try svmedia.com.au - Sue Meaney was great to work with and responds to e-mails fairly quickly. I did have to send a follow-up once, but that was because between Vienna, Sydney, and Hollywood, we were all on radically different timetables and it made communication a bit sluggish.

Other vendors with Opus 1 were in Europe, and wouldn't ship outside the EU. Still others were located in England, and British pounds don't translate nicely to USD these days. 1400+ dollars for Opus 1 is a little crazy.

So there are actually a lot of folks who're still stocking Opus 1 + 2, but they can be tricky to track down and there are a myriad of obstacles that might get in the way of a successful purchase.

If anybody wants that napkin... shudder... let me know.

-Tom

cool. gonna look into it for sure. How is opus 1 diff than the new special edition?

Quote Originally Posted by locash
    cool. gonna look into it for sure. How is opus 1 diff than the new special edition?
    Less instruments, way more articulations and unlock which means you can use it
    in you sampler and manipulate it as much as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    It's been discontinued for a while now so it will be hard to find...
    You might try justmusic.de in Germany -- that's where I got mine only a couple months ago, and their web site indicates they still have the product in stock.

Cheers, sb

Quote Originally Posted by soundbutcher
    You might try justmusic.de in Germany -- that's where I got mine only a couple months ago, and their web site indicates they still have the product in stock.

Cheers, sb
    Thanks, but i already own it(the licence i mean ). I'm sure some folks will be very please to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    Thanks, but i already own it(the licence i mean ).
    You must be a regular on the VSL forum coz the VSL folks there seem to keep repeating this very line ("you don't own the library, only the license to use it") ad nauseam...

Go Back to forum