• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Looking for work as a composer?

Share/Bookmark

Looking for work as a composer?

Don't forget to check local and national actor callboards and film office listings. Here is a recent one in Seattle from status factory <status_factory@mac.com - These show up almost daily. Many pay, some do not.

To: performerscallboard@yahoogroups.com Subject: [PerformersCALLBOARD] Music needed for DVD Date: Thursday, September 27, 2007 8:10:52 AM
    Hello - I am looking for local music to incorporate into a video I'm editing.
    First off, there is no pay, this is for exposure and free promotion as this video will sell both Nationally and INTL.
    You will be fully credited for your work and given a copy of the finished product on DVD.

The content of the video, which will be almost an hour long, is all about models, bikini's, lingerie and behind the scenes peeks at the modeling process.
    There is implied nudity and some erotic type footage, if this subject matter offends, I understand, thanks anyway.

-TYPES OF MUSIC PREFFERRED-
    Sexy, hip, unique, engaging, instrumental if you have it, any length, and you need to be the owner of the material as some paperwork will be signed.

-Electronica
    -including but not limited to: dance, trance, house, trip-hop, techno and others

-Rock
    - mostly straightforward, sexy, rock, the more instrumental the better

- Rap/R &B/Hip Hop
    - sexy, cool, some instrumentals if you have them

- Instrumental music of any genre will be listened to.

I'll take submissions however they come, web links, whatever works, if you need to snail mail, I can forward you my address.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Looking for work as a composer?

Now, hold on and let me get this straight:

The DVD will sell nationally, the models will get paid (obviously), camera men as well, etc, and still:
    First off, there is no pay, this is for exposure and free promotion as this video will sell both Nationally and INTL.
    You will be fully credited for your work and given a copy of the finished product on DVD.
    I'm sorry but you've got to be kidding me! (not the original poster)

When on earth will they learn that in all industries you do something and credits is NOT ENOUGH!

I'm sorry for this tiny rant, and I do see the good will of the OP, but still I feel nothing short of insulted by this type of ads.

I'm with Nikolas completely on this. Unfortunately there will be composers who will do this for the experience and their bio. They don't seem to mind that they're being used.

Jeff

Question Re: Looking for work as a composer?

Making money composing music...?
    I guess I would like to find out what the majority of people charge per min. of a finished new composition (assumes they get paid) and deliveriing the rendering w/ score and parts to the customer. Exceptions like John Williams and other multi million dollar project composers not withstanding.
    add to this the going rate for custom arranging for bands and orchtestras. Thanks everybody.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Now, hold on and let me get this straight:

The DVD will sell nationally, the models will get paid (obviously), camera men as well, etc, and still:

I'm sorry but you've got to be kidding me! (not the original poster)

When on earth will they learn that in all industries you do something and credits is NOT ENOUGH!

I'm sorry for this tiny rant, and I do see the good will of the OP, but still I feel nothing short of insulted by this type of ads.
    Couldn't agree more. As someone who has never even managed to win a pitch on a free student film I'm fairly desperate to get some kind of experience, but I still wouldn't work with anyone with this approach. It's wierd how they appreciate that other professionals need paying, but seem to believe that composers are a naive bunch who will be overjoyed just to get recognition.

Last time I checked, this is a voluntary thing. Phrases like "being used" are hardly applicable when you enter into something with an upfront understanding of the terms (excluding "friends with benefits", of course). I'm sure 100% of people would prefer to get paid but free advertising, exposure and something to add to your portfolio are also valuable in their way. I would much rather be able to point to this DVD as experience than say I have none because I won't work for 'free'.
    Obviously once a person is established, things change a lot.
    Out of curiosity, are those forum members who disapprove of this "want-ad" usually paid for their work?
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

I agree, no pay no play.

Since this is just a hobby for me I won't need to face this question for real, but my thought is that if I were a beginner trying to break into film composing I might just be willing to use any producer I could who might get me more exposure for my work. I'd write off the not-being-paid as an advertising or public relations expense (or investment). Think of it this way: The film producer is footing the cost of producing, manufacturing and distributing your demo!

No matter how good you are, there are at least a couple other composers who are just as good, and if their names get seen and yours doesn't, well, you know the rest. (i.e., it doesn''t matter that Fester Chumley is every bit as good a composer as John Williams, Fester is still working at Doughnut King simply because nobody has ever heard of him.)

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig
    (i.e., it doesn''t matter that Fester Chumley is every bit as good a composer as John Williams, Fester is still working at Doughnut King simply because nobody has ever heard of him.)
    I heard Fester got sacked for incessantly telling customers that he could have written that damned Imperial March thing if he'd felt like it.

This is all backwards.

Write a score and submit your own ad:

September 27, 2007 8:10:52 AM
    Hello - I am looking for local film to incorporate a musical score I'm editing.
    First off, there is no pay, this is for exposure and free promotion as the end product will sell both Nationally and INTL (we hope). You will be fully credited for your work and given a copy of the finished product on DVD.

This musical score, which will be almost an hour long, is all about dragons, armor, robes and the chivalry and chicanery of the medieval court. Some disembowlings and scaling of the castle walls are required, if this subject matter offends, I understand, thanks anyway.

-TYPES OF SCENES PREFERRED-
    Heroic, scary, exhilarating, unique, engaging, intelligent dialog if you have it, any length (with expert editing preferred), and you need to be the owner of the material as some paperwork will be signed.

-Action
    -including but not limited to: fighting dragons, riding dragons, chasing dragons, cooking dragons, eating dragons, and others

-Romance
    -mostly straightforward, with lingering kisses, the less dialog the better

-Intrigue
    -subplots between court and church, church and mercenaries, mercenaries and pirates, pirates and dragons, dragons and court, nothing too complicated though so as not to cover the music.

-All scenes containing or pertaining to dragons will be viewed.

I'll take submissions however they come, web links, whatever works, if you need to snail mail, I can forward you my address.

Thanks for your time.

Go Back to forum