• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Marimba Solo

Share/Bookmark

Marimba Solo

Hello everyone, this is my first time here, so here goes my first post.

I've written a marimba solo, "Walks," that caused someone to recommend me to this site. Mainly because I always complained about never getting comments . I can already tell by looking at other threads that comments aren't a problem.

As I said, this is a marimba solo I wrote that is very playable, but has a couple sticky spots that could be mastered with just a little patience (at least that's the way it was for me.)

Feel free to listen to my other songs on this page and to comment on them either here or on my message board. Thanks!

Here's the direct link to the song. Thanks Alan for suggesting it.
    lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5777871&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5777871&q=hi

And here's the link to my soundclick page.
    www.soundclick.com/michaelobermeyer

Re: Marimba Solo

Hi Michael,

Congratulations on your first post.

I know nothing about this instrument - I have seen it played once or twice in bands and wondered how someone could do that. You have written that this piece is playable, which I find astounding, knowing nothing about the instrument. Clearly some serious skill here!

I very much enjoyed the rhythms in this. Some of the dynamics I thought were a bit too extreme - either two quiet, or too suddenly louder.

But a lovely piece, and very well produced as well.

One thing I would be interested to see with this is some development with perhaps two marimbas (marimbae?) offset and counterpointing each other. But I really enjoyed it!

Thanks for sharing.

I am sure people would find it a little helpful if you could post a direct link.

Alan

Michael,

Welcome to Garritan.

First things first. This is the listening room for Garritan products only, so whatever you post should contain a Garritan product. This doesn't sound like the Garritan marimba, so please correct me if I am wrong.

This a reflective yet happy solo piece for solo marimba, roughly ABAcoda in form. I like the various rhythmic and tempo changes, which keep things moving and interesting. A fine, medium difficulty piece and much more accessible than a lot of the current repertoire (I have played marimba for many years, and some of the modern Japanese stuff was WAY out there).

Technically, the recording seems to randomly rise in fall in volume (listening on the lo-fi soundclick link). One minute I'm three inches from the mallets, the next I'm eight feet away. I'd say, do more with the dynamics, but I can't actually discern what they currently are. Other than that, you seem to have a good, clean performance here.

A pleasure to listen to.

Regards,
    Darwin

Thanks for the comments both of you! As far as dynamics go...This piece is supposed to fluctuate in volume, mainly because I feel that is one of the more exciting features of percussion.

And Garritan, well, I created this with Finale 2008 using the Garritan Personal Orchestra that comes with it, but I'm not quite sure if it's REALLY Garritan or if it's Kontakt player 2 because in F '08 it's called both... but because I'm new, I would love to know the place to post non-garritan related stuff.

Thanks for the comments both of you! As far as dynamics go...This piece is supposed to fluctuate in volume, mainly because I feel that is one of the more exciting features of percussion.
    Well, I very much agree, but the volume changes sound so unnatural here. It really sounds like someone messing with the playback faders and/or the reverb as opposed to the marimbaist playing with dynamic variation.

And Garritan, well, I created this with Finale 2008 using the Garritan Personal Orchestra that comes with it, but I'm not quite sure if it's REALLY Garritan or if it's Kontakt player 2 because in F '08 it's called both
    My apologies, if you used Finale 08 with GPO, then you're good to go. Now that you mention Finale, maybe that Human Playback thingy is causing the weird dynamics?

Hello, sanyarem - Welcome to The Listening Room.

Absolutely a first, in my memory - a Marimba solo. I believe there was a Marima duet some time ago - But not a solo.

Great sounding instrument - Thanks for confirming that it's the GPO instrument, by the way.

I like this composition - I'm inspired to listen to more of your stuff for sure.

BY the way, the first theoretically improved link isn't correct - it goes to a SoundClick main page, not your song. So I used the link to your info page, and then in turn to your music page. There is a way to get a link for just one tune, and that's the best way to post--So, give that another try.

I understand what you're trying to do with the volume. As you said, "...This piece is supposed to fluctuate in volume, mainly because I feel that is one of the more exciting features of percussion..."

But as has already been accurately described here, we can hear volume sliders moving up and down, and doing so Very drastically. The results aren't at all natural.

You'll find, I guarantee it, that if you work with the velocity values of your Marimba MIDI file, then you can sculpt the flucutations in volume that you want, from true ppp to fff, but it will be in a natural way which is actually possible in a real life situation of playing a real world Marimba.

After recording the piece, if the dynamic fluctuations aren't already enough to get the contrasts you want, then the velocity values of the notes themselves need to be edited. I know you said you're doing this in Finale - I don't use any notation program, so can't point you to exactly where you can do that kind of MIDI editing, but it has to be possible.

This sort of work really works best in a sequencer where you don't have all the constraints of notation - You could just record it as if to tape, then polish up the results in a MIDI editing window.

Listen again to what you have - If you're able to get objective, I think you'll hear what we're hearing, as Darwin perfectly put it, "...One minute I'm three inches from the mallets, the next I'm eight feet away..."

Hope you take a look at that.

Enjoyed the music - Just got tired of turning my computer's volume knobs down, then up, then down, etc. Ya know?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem
    Hello everyone, this is my first time here, so here goes my first post.

I've written a marimba solo, "Walks," that caused someone to recommend me to this site. Mainly because I always complained about never getting comments . I can already tell by looking at other threads that comments aren't a problem.

As I said, this is a marimba solo I wrote that is very playable, but has a couple sticky spots that could be mastered with just a little patience (at least that's the way it was for me.)

Feel free to listen to my other songs on this page and to comment on them either here or on my message board. Thanks!

Here's the direct link to the song. Thanks Alan for suggesting it.
    lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5777871&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5777871&q=hi

And here's the link to my soundclick page.
    www.soundclick.com/michaelobermeyer
    Hey Sanyarem,
    I instantly loved this piece!!
    its overall feel was great, it made me want to hear more and more!
    Lets hope youw ill post more compositions soon?

Dan

Hi there, what a great little piece this is. I didn't the volume fluctuations too offensive but I can see where the others are coming from. A few little edits and you'll be good to go.

Great stuff, I look forward to hearing more.

Kev
    You can listen to my latest piece here -

Sounds like GPO to me. I love the marimba. I've seen numerous marimba solos performed live, and many harder than this (for those of you doubting its playability). You do know the capabilities of the instrument well, and I couldn't be more happy to say congratulations, now lets get this played live shall we?!!
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Just love those cross rhythms. Very exciting.

I hope Evelyn Glennie gets hold of this - I'd love to hear her play it.

Owen

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast