• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Fugue It

Share/Bookmark

Fugue It

Little fugue, written as a break from rock shoveling and diabolic piano compositions.

GPO Organ, Fatar Keyboard, Sonar.

Fugue It

Richard

Re: Fugue It

I admit I'm not a big organ fan - but I really liked this. The fast passage work was especially effective, and the ending was very nicely set up. And, it seemed just the right length - good exploration of the subject without over-developing it. Harder to do that it might seem - too often one can get lost in array of contrapuntal devices, at which point the fugue becomes more a catalog of "what on can do" rather than what the material demands. You succeeded admirably.

Wish my breaks from work in the yard were so productive!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi, Richard*

That was certainly a very productive break you took from rock shoveling and "diabolic piano compositions." Now you're doing "diabolic ORgan compositions."

And it sounded like you were deeeep into that Redwood forest playing this for us, with those pipes voices bouncing off the majestic trees.

Thanks for the interesting piece on the sometimes neglected GPO organ.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

* - It was my turn to be a Space Cadet this morning--Somehow I typed "Bill" instead of "Richard" - Fixing it for the record pronto but freely admitting my momentary spaciness!

What an interesting sound. Caught me out with the very last note! Wasn't expecting the major after all that drama.

I enjoyed it very much. Thanks
    Owen

Richard:

Bach wouldn't understand this and Beethoven wouldn't
    let you out of the "woodshed," but times have changed
    for forms of this kind...........lol

A good exercise in canonic imitation. The middle part
    is interesting and it was good to hear the GPO organ
    again, Richard.

Now what?

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Wonderful piece, Richard!

Superb writing, balance -- and thinking -- in this. I've listened
    through this several times, now, with much appreciation.

Perhaps you will do a set of these for us?

Certainly, some of your best work, this.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Richard
    I really liked the eerriness of it. Especially the opening........I think that we live in a very wonderful time (musically speaking of course) because we are really able to push the boundries of forms and tonality and they are much more accepted than say in Mozart or J.S. Bach time.......
    Good Job!!!!!
    Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

Well, thanks, guys! I really appreciate your remarks. When I decided to do this piece, I decided to do a few organ pieces, not necessarily as a set, but maybe so. Sneaking into that major chord at the end was an afterthought, after the piece was completely finished and ready to record. It seemed to need a surprise of some sort, so I stretched out the original chord except for the third, which I reiterated as a major.

To me, the difficulty in writing a fugue is knowing when to stop. It seems that it must be short, or very long, not much between, unless there are episodes that stray from the subject for long periods. I had wanted this to be a prelude and fugue, but nothing seemed right, to there it is.

I guess poor old man Bach is spinning in his grave, and Ludwig has used up a goodly supply of barf bags, but if they had lived through the changing times, they might have understood.

The next piece will be more of a powerhouse organ thing.

Randy, did you re-christen me? I don't thing my parents would have approved! Well, as I frequently heard while in the army, "Call me anything except late for supper".

Richard

Wonderfully creative! It's great how the dissonances flow rhythmically to a conclusion section by section. When the large final minor chord was reached I was musically satisfied - then it flowed into a Tierce de Picardie (Picardy third) and I almost flowed out of my chair. After all the modern pointalism, a concession to classical European church organ music! You have a profoundly diabolica approach. Very very nicely done.

I enjoyed your fugue. I found it very interesting. I’m with David – I vote for a set. Can’t wait for the “powerhouse” piece you promise.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast