• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: A quick poll for Windows users

Share/Bookmark

OT: A quick poll for Windows users

Microsoft have announced that they are extending keeping XP on sale until June next year when it will discontinued leaving only Vista available.

I'd be interested to know which version of the OS you are currently using and whether you have made the switch to Vista yet. If you have upgraded, did it go smoothly?

For the record I'm currently using XP with no plans at the moment to move to Vista.

Re: OT: A quick poll for Windows users

Just yesterday I moved from Windows 98 to XP so that I can finally install GPO. I have no plans to move to Vista until I absolutely have to.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Vista on a laptop here, due to warranty replacement.

Pros: The things that are ripped from OSX (upgraded search, "gadgets") and the Aero interface

Cons: User Account Control*, compatibility, performance loss, bloating on my hard disk, a severe hibernation problem which Microsoft has no plans to fix until SP1, butchering of advanced search and advanced controls, wireless and networking configurations, RAM hogging, slow boot and even slower shutdown, terrible power consumption giving me a battery life of under an hour doing nothing but surf web with all power conservation features on)

So now I dual boot with Ubuntu as well.

*UAC: beautiful idea on paper, but implemented poorly. Since most malicious code need admin priviledges to run, why not take away those priviledges for all and users and enable them only when the user wants to perform a task which requires it? (Okay.) Let's let him enable those rights for the specific application or task by throwing up a pedantic dialog which locks him out of doing anything else but enabling them or canceling. (Not okay.)

A 3 step operation in XP goes to 11 in Vista:
    Task: Create a folder in program files using Windows Explorer and name it Games.
    In XP:
    1. Open Program Files.
    2. Right-click, select new folder.
    3. Type "Games," and hit enter.

In Vista:
    1. Open Program Files.
    2. Right-click, select new folder.
    3. "Boop" A slightly blue dialog informing me that I will need to "confirm" this operation. The header on the dialog box reads "Destination folder access denied." Continue??
    4. Yes.
    5. "Boop" Screen blanks and I get another, more blue dialog informing me that Windows needs my permission to perform this operation, and that if I started this action I should continue.
    6. "New Folder" is now created in Program Files, and the folder name is highlighted.
    7. I type "Games" and hit enter.
    8. "Boop" A slightly blue dialog informing me that I will need to "confirm" this operation. The header on the dialog box reads "Destination folder access denied." Continue??
    9. Yes.
    10. "Boop" Screen blanks and I get another, more blue dialog informing me that Windows needs my permission to perform this operation, and that if I started this action I should continue.
    11. Now I have my folder. God forbid if I want to copy anything to it (or have to make another folder).

Ugh,

Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    I'd be interested to know which version of the OS you are currently using and whether you have made the switch to Vista yet. If you have upgraded, did it go smoothly?
    I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on my desktop and Vista Home Basic on my laptop. I wanted to start off with a clean installation of the OS and applications (GPO, Finale, Sonar) to keep stability, performance, and efficiency optimal.

I made the switch to Vista when I got new hardware so I didn't have to worry about hardware compatibility nor horsepower (dual core, 3GB RAM). I added extra memory to be able to compose for larger ensembles using GPO, not specifically for the OS.

The only Vista area which required special attention was knowing how to work with a security feature called "User Account Control". This setting allows a user to have general administrative rights but requires high-risk tasks (such as software installation) to get temporary elevated administrator rights from the user. This feature allows power users get their work done without giving the same open door policy to a potential virus or spy-ware invasion.

Exclamation Re: OT: A quick poll for Windows users

My experience with Vista prompted me to go out and buy a Mac. I am a very happy camper now.

XP is great, if I were still doing Windows it would be with XP for as long as possible.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I am running XP on my PC as well as on my laptop and I'll use it as long as possible.

Regards

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    For the record I'm currently using XP with no plans at the moment to move to Vista.
    Me too. Vista's rep is just not good enough yet.

XP will stay on my desktop as long as my desktop will last... when I get a new desktop in a year or two it will most likely be Vista, but I'll keep my older desktop as long as I can and make a slow and steady transition I suppose.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

No reasons for Vista so far.

When I installed XP Pro I was very pleasantly surprised at the improvements and faster operation. I find it almost unbelieveable that MS would drop support of such a solid OS.

My personal approach is that I will not switch to VISTA unless I absolutely have to.

Go Back to forum