• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: 3 computers - what else?

Share/Bookmark

3 computers - what else?

Hi... I obviously realize there is a thread similar to mine, but I would like to post my own since I have different hardware, and so that I can set a new level of ignorance...

Ok.. Im am totaly blank...the other thread touches the issues I want to know, but I need things explained to me like i\'m an idiot... so here goes...

I have 3 PC\'s and 2 screens.... I\'m planning on having one running my sequencer and VI\'s, and the two others running primarily GIGASTUDIO.

I understand the principles of MOL, so lets just skip that for now. What I really need to know is, how do I set things up so when a peice is done I only record/export it once, and not thrice (once per machine) and then allign the wav files...

Also... I need a soundcard for each machine right?

And please dont expect I know any abrevations [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: 3 computers - what else?

Also-... let me mention what I had in mind...

Each computers audio input goes into my little mixer, which then goes into my sequencer... midi and sync controlled by MOL...

How far away from reality am I?

someone?

Your setup should work as you envision it. I\'d also go with VNC for controlling your virtual instruments (remember to enter your bios on your computers and turn off halting on errors, and have windows start up automatically and then GS automatically), and use both monitors for your DAW.

As for timing of audio it would depend on the work you\'re doing, midi wouldn\'t cut it for all kinds of work.

Remember that you can have your DAW send start and stop signals to the record to disk function in GS and that can be used to create wavs you can use in your DAW (just so you know this option) and have an all digital solution; I got the impression your mixer was analog.

As for soundcards you should look into this thread in the hardware forum.

Hmm, someone in that thread mentioned \"FXteleport\" or similar. That could actually work pretty well if you use a Firewire cable from each gigamachine to your DAWs firewire input. Those would work as network cables and then you\'d probably be able to send the digital audio from each gigamachine directly into your sequencer. FXteleport reportedly creates emulated GSIF channels for gigastudio.

Hmm, someone in that thread mentioned \"FXteleport\" or similar. That could actually work pretty well if you use a Firewire cable from each gigamachine to your DAWs firewire input. Those would work as network cables and then you\'d probably be able to send the digital audio from each gigamachine directly into your sequencer. FXteleport reportedly creates emulated GSIF channels for gigastudio
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">To set this right, FXTeleport does not have anything to do with Gigastudio, you will need both FXTeleport and the Gigastudio wrapper (not released yet) to access Gigastudio as a VST on a remote machine.
    The way to network PC is the network card - which most newer PCs have onboard. Using multiple PC, you would need a hub or switch additionally.

Right.... now all three PC\'s are equipped with a soundcard.

Bought a KVM switch aswell...

I\'m going to buy MOL soon... Hope I can learn to use that.

Since GS 3.0 has a rewire function, will that have any major impact on multiple PC music setups?

Do I need FX-Teleport at all?

To set this right, FXTeleport does not have anything to do with Gigastudio, you will need both FXTeleport and the Gigastudio wrapper (not released yet) to access Gigastudio as a VST on a remote machine.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks, I read through the FXTeleport site and could find no mention of GSIF; I must have misunderstood something in the thread I referenced, I was under the impression that there was a GSIF emulator in there.

The way to network PC is the network card - which most newer PCs have onboard. Using multiple PC, you would need a hub or switch additionally.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If the guy has 100 Mbit network cards in his PC he will not get a very good speed on the network with several computers working at the same time sending audio data (I was working from the assumption that FXTeleport could stream audiodata), possibly adding VNC data, and normal networking. Using firewire will give 4 times the bandwith to each PC.

Now, we all know that the PCI bus of ordinary PCs will be saturated, but I\'ve been using firewire for the networking when I only had 100 mbit cards for the above reasons, much faster file transfers, when needed, and even lower CPU utilization than some network cards.

Thanks guys for helping him out. I\'ve been away from the computer a while.
    Dave

If the guy has 100 Mbit network cards in his PC he will not get a very good speed on the network with several computers working at the same time sending audio data (I was working from the assumption that FXTeleport could stream audiodata), possibly adding VNC data, and normal networking. Using firewire will give 4 times the bandwith to each PC.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">True, FXTeleport does send the audio data via network, also true that 100 Mbit with 3 PCs might not leave enough headroom. So additional Gigabit cards and hub/switch might be the way to go. The firewire option sounds interesting, but how do you connect 3 PCs via firewire, are there firewire hubs?

Since GS 3.0 has a rewire function, will that have any major impact on multiple PC music setups?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">As far as I know rewire is a one PC thing, so will not help you and your multiple PC setup.
    Do I need FX-Teleport at all?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you got proper soundcards you don\'t need FX-Teleport at all. Especially at the current moment, since the Gigastudio wrapper is not out yet.
    Depending on your working methods, using FX-teleport and Gigastudio wrapper can offer you advantages, as you are able to use Gigastudio as a VST in your sequencer.

Go Back to forum