• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Quick render on my way out the door

Share/Bookmark

Quick render on my way out the door

On my way out to catch a flight to San Fransisco, but I just had to post this, my very first GPO render. There is a total of about half an hour invested in this, so it's not very polished. (I just installed and registered GPO a few hours ago) The score is a rendition of a Clementi sonatina for piano that I arranged for brass quintet a couple years ago. The render was done with Noteworthy Composer feeding Garritan Studio and GPO. The output was given a quick pass through Reaper to add some impulse reverb and EQ, nothing fancy.

It's pretty rough and ugly, but I promise I'll do better next time when I'm not in such a big hurry.

http://www.fiziwig.com/music/clementi.mp3

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Re: Quick render on my way out the door

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I could picture this being played live, it's very audience friendly. Nice job on this!
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Good morning, Gary!

Big congrats on your first Listening Room post!

What a nice, clean arrangement - Very clever arrangement, and it's really pretty amazing that you got this much musicality out of your MIDI file in such a short time after installing GPO. WOw- I would hazard to guess it's a record you set here, of the shortest time between installation and first recording. Impressive!

You're going to have a lot of fun digging into the tools you have to make the most out of the Garritan instruments, adding more MIDI controllers et al. But in the meantime, this has to be one of the strongest first efforts I've ever heard here.

Ever since you joined the Forum not too long ago, it's really been fun following the build up of excitement as you waited for GPO to arrive. When I saw your post earlier in the General Discussion Forum about the library arriving, I perked up and was looking forward to hearing something - figured I'd be waiting longer than this!

In that other thread in GD, you said you still have Cakewalk Pro Audio 7 on your machine, and that it seemed like it was going to be working with the old Garritan Studio - Has that actually worked out? I notice you used Reaper as the audio program on this piece.

I'm especially curious because when I first got GPO, the only music software I had was Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 - and OH MAn I struggled to make it work with Studio, and I had to give up. I could only get an uninterrupted recording for a few seconds at a time. I had to break down and upgrade to a version of Sonar - The main problem being that the old Pro Audio 9 couldn't be upgraded to VST capability. Info on the above would be interesting.

Thanks for sharing the excitement of your first foray into GPO!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I believe Randy is right, that has to be a new record,
    no, not the LP kind

cool stuff Maynard !!!

Dan

Hi Gary!

Congrats on receiving the wonderful GPO and on this great little first piece! REally enjoyed it, and it got me feeling all christmassy for some reason (probably because its the tme of the year when brass ensembles seem to creep out of the woodwork around here..!)

Was this recorded straight from notation through studio? Interesting, as Im having real difficulty making my brass sound as good and clean as yours and im spending many an hour trying!

Wel done!

I'm going to have try this "quick pass through Reaper" LOL,

Man, that sounds great, Gary.

David

Half an hour on this? It took me longer than that to figure
    out how to get the CD's out of the case... rofl. (No, I'm
    not kidding, it really did.)

You sure hit the ground running, Gary. Good job overall on
    general sound, balance, the works. I think your prior efforts
    are going to serve you well in the land of GPO!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig
    On my way out to catch a flight to San Fransisco, but I just had to post this, my very first GPO render. There is a total of about half an hour invested in this, so it's not very polished. (I just installed and registered GPO a few hours ago) The score is a rendition of a Clementi sonatina for piano that I arranged for brass quintet a couple years ago. The render was done with Noteworthy Composer feeding Garritan Studio and GPO. The output was given a quick pass through Reaper to add some impulse reverb and EQ, nothing fancy.

It's pretty rough and ugly, but I promise I'll do better next time when I'm not in such a big hurry.
    It sounds very good to my ears, Gary. As you say, the rendering is a direct output (tpt 2 needs to be louder), but what still shines through is your arranging skills. I agreee with what tubajedimr already suggested: this would sound fantastic live. There is great interplay between the parts and constant motion to drive the tune along.

The GPO tuba is a fun instrument to use. Nice 'n' round right out of the box, isn't it??

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Half an hour on this? It took me longer than that to figure
    out how to get the CD's out of the case... rofl. (No, I'm
    not kidding, it really did.)
    I agree etLux, the older 4-CD case was tough to open and I was afraid of breaking the CDs!

-Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig

http://www.fiziwig.com/music/clementi.mp3

--gary shannon
    I promised myself that I would no longer participate with comments in the listening room, but I had to let you know that you have the tools need to become a finde renderer and composer. Have faith in the future developement of your skills and write what you love.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Well done Gary and congratulations - incredibly productive.

So once you get off the plane you will have another three or four to go with it!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast