• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kurzweil SP2X Digital Piano remarks

Share/Bookmark

Kurzweil SP2X Digital Piano remarks

I just received my Kurzweil SP2X yesterday (got rid of my PC1SE as the 76 note range was actually not enough for all my VSL keyswitch patches).

First Impressions-

User Interface- A little more cryptic than the PC1SE because of the LED displat compared to the alpha-numeric one on the PC1SE. But otherwise, the interface is pretty quick to pick up and navigate through. I love the fact that controller assignments to the 4 knobs remains regardless of whether you're in patch mode or combi mode. Sooo much easier to assign controllers to the knobs too.

Sounds- Only comes with 64 sounds but they are excellent ones. Good representation of strings, pianos, EPS, organs and basses.

Keyboard- EXCELLENT feel. 7 variations of touch sensitivity make it perfect for any player regardless of their playing style. Keyboard is quieter than the PC1SE and has a little more bounce to the keys with a softer bed. Less "thunk" sound. It's a pure delight to play. Cons- no aftertouch.

Controller Features- I primarily bought this as a controller for my soft synths and it does a great job. For really quick passages I still rely on my Axiom 25 which does have aftertouch too.

Price- Well, the place I traded my PC1SE at gave me money back on this beast so I can hardly complain. I think it's $1250 up here in Canada.

Verdict- The best 88 note board I've played to date. Encompasses everything I need in a controller and a stage piano.

I've also owned the following 88 note boards for comparison:

Motif ES8
    Yamaha P60/P80/90
    Roland RD300SX
    Kurzweil SP76
    M-Audio SP88
    UF8

That's my capsule review.

Re: Kurzweil SP2X Digital Piano remarks

Quote Originally Posted by davecos

Verdict- The best 88 note board I've played to date. Encompasses everything I need in a controller and a stage piano.

I've also owned the following 88 note boards for comparison:

Motif ES8
    Yamaha P60/P80/90
    Roland RD300SX
    Kurzweil SP76
    M-Audio SP88
    UF8

That's my capsule review.
    you mean the action of the kurzweil is better than the motif ES8 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    Did you happen to try the Yamaha S90es? I trying all the keyboards I could find about 6 months ago and this one was the one I loved the best. It had the most "piano" feel to me of all of them, had separate mod and pitchbend wheels (what is it with Roland and the others, I know a joystick might be a little easier for live, but SO many libraries need mod wheel control now), and yet even with the piano touch, it still has aftertouch.

Tom
    I forgot- I owned a Yamaha S90 as well. Too heavy that action was. For piano fine. For everything else, not.

Dave or anyone ..do you know who makes the actual weighted keys in this one ? Is it Fatar ? Im thinking of getting the Nord Stage because i love the Fatar keys.. drag is... its pretty pricey .

Best , Rich

Go Back to forum