I think the best way to post my question and the details pertaining to it is in bullet points rather than writing lengthy paragraphs. So, here it is:
- 2005 – Built new system and installed GS3 Solo.
- Gigabyte’s FSB800 Motherboard with ATi RS350 chipset
- Intel Pentium 4, CPU 3.00 gig
- 1 gig (2x 512 meg) corsair memory, cas latency 2, running in dual channels.
- 80 gig hard drive, don’t remember speed.
- Creative Labs Audigy 2 Sound Card (Thank God for Rewire).
- Win XP, sp2
- Other audio software: Finale (now 2007), Sonar 4, Reason 3
- This ran fine for a few years, but due to limited polyphony, had to multitrack record. Not too bad a problem, but decided to upgrade.
- Recently upgraded to GS3 Orchestra and found how amazing the Vienna Giga Symphony is (If only they’ll release all the articulations for Giga!)
- Polyphony not an issue, but memory up to 89% and I haven’t loaded woodwinds yet. Time to upgrade memory!
- Memory now 2 gigs (2x 1gig) OCZ brand, running dual channels, DDR 400 (PC 3200), cas latency 2
- 89% memory became 41%, this is good news.
- Load one more instrument and get “unknown system error.” Not able to load any more instruments.
- Tested memory: 39% - that’s on Preset 1 (Windows XP default). Begin memory tweaks in GS Config.
- Preset 2: 67% tested memory. However, no wav files will play because Win says they’re not in the correct folders, files are lost for Win to load correctly, Giga will not load at all. Had to reinstall windows.
- Preset 3: 67% Giga studio won’t load any instruments. I decided to skip preset four and move to the GS Optimizer, aka “Mattias Tweak.”
- Optimizer Preset 1: 53%
- Optimizer Preset 2: Antivirus off (as with all tweaks) freeze on startup, startup extremely slow, system runs slow. Message: “GS did not start properly” and Sonar 4 will not open.
- Optimizer Preset 3: 64%, slow running. Tried this later a second time and the system was more unstable.
- Optimizer Preset 4: “CTTheme/ Invalid Language ID/ Caller:Volume Control/ Language ID:1033.” I got that message on startup. “Creative Volume Control unable to load interface – reinstall.” On GS startup:“Kernel Drivers not loaded.” Then the load optimizer would not load! Nothing displayed properly. Windows restart would not work. Tried to manually reset and got blue screen. Not enough memory to load optimizer. More bluescreen. Had to run it in safe mode. Then I went back to Preset 4 in the GS Configuration.
- Preset 4: Works once in a while. Sometimes Sonar audio playback will not work. Finale 2007will not run while Giga open. If I close Giga, it will not load all of my instruments when I open it again. (If I can’t run Finale simultaneously, then I have to move back and forth). When I try to load Giga again, it gives me the “USE” at 37% memory usage. (Understand I HAD to restart Giga because until I did I couldn’t play anything through Sonar.”
At some point in there I removed Nero InCD as well with no memory change. (The .exe file was corrupt anyway. I don’t think it was actually loaded.)
So, my issue is that when I doubled my memory, I got less instruments. Then every tweak from either GS Config or the GS Load Optimizer causes my system to be anywhere from highly unstable to unusable. I also have implemented all of the Win XP adjustments to free up memory and CPU for audio with no noticeable difference. I know one recommendation is to run Giga on its own system, independent of my sequencer, Finale, or any other standard computer functions. However, this begs the question: “What is practical about switching from hardware to software samplers?” There has to be a way to run Giga on the same system as my other audio software with minimal performance loss. I managed much better before, and with each “upgrade” I lose performance.
Please, if anybody has any input, please let me know. None of this makes sense anymore and I’ve spent countless hours troubleshooting. I know people have been successful with certain memory tweaks, but it still doesn’t make sense to me that when I double my memory, why does gigastudio not give me double memory usage?
Thank you so much,
P.S. The search forum function on this website has not worked for me for a few weeks now. I have to find earlier posts via google search.