• Register
  • Help

Topic: Casio's newish strange user sample-playing thing

Casio's newish strange user sample-playing thing

Don't laugh, please.

A new low end sampler that may have some potential: This is not intended as a joke, exactly, although I'm not sure what to make of this news myself. The newish Casio WK33000, one of the larger, 76 key keyboards sold in many nonmusic stores for around $250, apparently lets the user load and map wave files to the keyboard. (This is a revision of the older WK3000 keyboard.) Still investigating how much it will hold, and if velocity layers are supported. Doubtful, this latter, of course. It does have a usb connection. I'm not posting this information to recommend this keyboard (the action is not terrible, but it's spring-loaded, and the default samples are so soaked in reverb that you can barely make out that they have one or at most two velocity layers.) Regardless, here's the actual, brief , enigmatic text from the Casio site:

"Map wave files from your PC to any key and save as a user preset

Here is the again brief text describing the feature from the manual (downloaded from the Casio support site):

"Music Data Management Software makes it possible for your computer to transfer data you downloaded from the Casio Music Site to keyboard memory and to transfer keyboard memory data to your computer's hard disk for storage. After starting up the Music Data Management Software, you can access the three following converter programs:

Wave Converter: Creates keyboard Tone With Wave data from
    tone data files (.wav) stored on your computer's hard disk..

If I understand this text correctly, it's describing not just the ability to save midi files or combis of internal instrument sounds, but instead the ability to map actual user samples loaded from a pc through the usb port. On the other hand, the idea may just be that you can just record a single shot sound or two to a few keys and play them back. I don't you're limited to just wave files from the Casio music site, though.

Here is the link to the general Casio corporate site for the keyboard:

(The text I quoted appears near the bottom of the page. More, but little, information about the keyboard in general can be learned by clicking on the links at the top of the page.)

Anyone have more information about the apparent sample mapping ability? The site's use of words like "tone" and "sound" is a little confusing, since tone means a multi, and "sound" seems to vary in meaning.
    Last edited by Jake Johnson; 09-29-2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: added info

Re: Casio's newish strange user sample-playing thing

I found out that the Casio program does let you load wave files into the keyboard. You map the samples in the Casio program and then convert them to a Casio format, and then load them onto a smart card that you can insert into the back of the keyboard. The mapping is in some ways very basic--I don't see a way to create velocity splits. On the other hand, since the keyboard allows you to create layers from multiple instruments, there may be a way to contol the layers with velocity.

The almost very bad news: the flash memory for the compressed files is only 4 megs: HOWEVER: the program that lets you create multisamples from wave files also compresses the wave files to slightly less than half their size. The result is that the keyboard can load about ten megs of stereo wave files once they are compressed into the Casio format. Still very limited, but recall older hardware samplers and romplers that did a lot with that amount of memory or not much more. The memory for the Yamaha P-200 piano was 16 megs for two piano sounds and some other toss away string sounds, etc. The original Perfect Piano sets were 16 megs. This is getting to be in the ballpark. Good looping skills and some sacrifices on the lowest and highest notes might let you create a playable instrument

Regardless, this keyboard seems promising for future development--if this gets to 16 megs with the next version, things could get interesting.

I wanted to include a screenshot here, but apparently, that requires having a www address for the image file, which can't just be copied into the message box.

Sorry if I seem to be spending a lot of time on what may seem almost like a toy. Would be very interesting if it could load more megs--then it could load more than a few decent soundfonts, once you extracted the wave files and reconstructed the instrument in the Casio program.

Of course it doesn't handle pedal down samples or release samples, etc, but the Casio program does let you set filter cutoff freqs, an amp ADSR, and all of the basics.

New York, NY

Yeah, Casio has come up with some cute things over the years, but this one just doesn't have enough memory for good things... However, it's a light keyboard and if you do restaurant type gigs, it's perfect...

I edited my second post while you were responding to it--I found that the program compresses the wave files that you create the multisamples with. You can load about 10 megs worth of stereo wave files once they are compressed. Not good for big pianos, but interesting with some good programming and looping skills.

Go Back to forum