• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tablet PC as DAW

Share/Bookmark

Tablet PC as DAW

I'm currrently using my desktop replacement as DAW and for Giga. But a desktop replacement is still to heavy in many situations.

As I'm already using a tablet PC for work, I wonder if it's technically possible to use it also as a DAW if: 1. I dual boot it (so a dedicated partition and windows is used only for DAW), 2. the DAW partition has all the tablet functions disabled/removed since I don't need it for DAW - which should speed things up further.

So... the question is, it is technically another notebook right? Any performance issues I should be concern about? Will it work just as well?

Re: Tablet PC as DAW

I use a Fujitsu Siemens T4210 for musical production with cubase and several vst instruments. A tablet is a notebook and XP Tablet Edition is a XP Pro with more features. I have 1.5Gb of ram and 250Gb internal HD. I have no problem, also with the tablet features on. I don't think you have to build a dual boot system: there is the 'hardware profiles' feature in XP that let you determine which services to start for each profile you create.
    Of course it depends on your work habits, which sequencer you use, if you mainly rely on recordings or virtual instruments. As always, more ram, more power.

bye

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez
    I'm currrently using my desktop replacement as DAW and for Giga. But a desktop replacement is still to heavy in many situations.

As I'm already using a tablet PC for work, I wonder if it's technically possible to use it also as a DAW if: 1. I dual boot it (so a dedicated partition and windows is used only for DAW), 2. the DAW partition has all the tablet functions disabled/removed since I don't need it for DAW - which should speed things up further.

So... the question is, it is technically another notebook right? Any performance issues I should be concern about? Will it work just as well?

Re: Tablet PC as DAW

Glad to hear that! I'm also using a T4210 with 2GB of RAM. I find the dual booting more efficient and I've been doing that for quite a while. A clean boot has a cleaner registry. Also, I use XPlite to remove IE as well, and things speeds up more.

I was contemplating on whether I need T4220 for the extra processing power and the extra RAM it can take. Looks like I can stick with what I have at the moment.

Go Back to forum