• Register
  • Help

Topic: Conductor scores for films- other than John Williams??

Share/Bookmark

Conductor scores for films- other than John Williams??

I\'d love to purchase conductor scores for study of some of my favorite scores, but am not sure if they are available. I saw the John Williams stuff at Alexander Publishing. How about conductor scores for \"The English Patient\" or \"The Red Violin\". Anybody know of resources out there for these types of scores??

Thanks,

Colin

Re: Conductor scores for films- other than John Williams??

I don\'t believe the score is available for The Red Violin, but you can buy the Caprices for just $10. Lots of good solo violin writing to look at.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_detail.html?sku=HL.50483486&cart=3265996378436 6624&searchtitle=Sheet%20Music

Originally posted by scores4film:
    I\'d love to purchase conductor scores for study of some of my favorite scores, but am not sure if they are available. I saw the John Williams stuff at Alexander Publishing. How about conductor scores for \"The English Patient\" or \"The Red Violin\". Anybody know of resources out there for these types of scores??

Thanks,

Colin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sadly, very few have crossed over. Here\'s the basic list:

1. Sinfonia Antartica - Vaughn Williams (from Scott of the Antartic)

2. The Red Pony (Aaron Copland) - spawned a generation of western film scores

3. West Side Story (Bernstein) - available from Alfred

If you can find them from Oxford by William Walton, there are a series of suites from various Shakespearean movies filmed with Sir Laurence Olivier that Walton scored. These are quite excellent.

I don\'t want to encourage anything illegal or anything, but there are a bunch of bootleg scores floating about on the internet in forums etc. Some people even have the entire Hook score including individual instrument parts. Other than that I do not know where you can get these scores. It\'s a shame, because we\'d like to study from the masters, not just Williams. We dont want to become him, do we? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thomas

I know Gabriel Yared\'s music can be purchased in printed form, but I\'m not sure how closely it will follow the actual film score(s).

On http://www.gabrielyared.com/ you should follow the link Yad Music in the lower left of the home page. It\'s his own publishing company and apparently he also has published some music from The English Patient (I also really love some parts of that score, especially from the last scenes).

Then click on the link \"PARTITIONS D\'ORCHESTRE (Scores & Parts)\". Some pages are also in English, btw.

You can also e-mail to yadmusic@noos.fr with your questions.

Success,

\"not just Williams. We dont want to become him, do we?\"

Sure we do!
    Dave

Go Back to forum