• Register
  • Help

Topic: any Fatar StudioLogic VMK-188 Plus user here ????

Share/Bookmark

Question any Fatar StudioLogic VMK-188 Plus user here ????

What You think about this midi keyboard ????

I don't know what to go for:
    1) Fatar StudioLogic VMK-188 Plus
    2) M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
    3) CME UF8
    4) M-audio 88ES + some control surface like Novation Zero SL

Re: any Fatar StudioLogic VMK-188 Plus user here ????

I'm using a Fatar StudioLogic VMK-188 Plus. The description is simple: awesome keys with cheap plastics around. Me I decided to go for the keys I still think that they are the best... It depends where you are using it - personally I wouldn't use it on stage, but in a homestudio where it will nearly never be moved around it's a good decision.

Hope I could help,
    Ulrich

I had one, briefly. Great keyboard + aftertouch. Personally I got fed up always having to hook it up to the pc to get a sound, so if the lack of aftertouch will not be an issue for you I would go for the Keystation Pro.

Cheers, ColinD

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro-D
    I had one, briefly. Great keyboard + aftertouch. Personally I got fed up always having to hook it up to the pc to get a sound, so if the lack of aftertouch will not be an issue for you I would go for the Keystation Pro.

Cheers, ColinD
    That's why I still use my Alesis QS8 and haven't gotten the m-audio.... Sometimes you need just to fire up the keyboard and get a sound and wail..

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Composer
    FWIW...I own the Keystation Pro 88. I find it unnecessarily complex, too many multi function buttons, kinda blah action, only ten presents without using a librarian ( a ridiculous choice), no aftertouch, and it's a monster, weight/size wise.

Positives? if you delve into it, it has a million knob and sliders, so it's very programmable, and it was cheap.

My recommendation...don't buy it. look to CME or Fatar.
    Let me add to that that I bought the Pro 88 and returned it the same day. It was indeed a monster in size and weight - ridiculously large. I got the VMK 88 instead and am happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Let me add to that that I bought the Pro 88 and returned it the same day.
    Yes, i did the same...

I've played all the ones listed in person except the VMK-188 Plus, and definitely don't bother with the M-Audio stuff. CME UF8 is actually quite nice--reminds me of fatar's action a bit. I have played other fatar/Studiologic keyboards before and quite like them.

I personally ended up getting a used Kurzweil PC2X, since it's breath and ribbon controller ready, and at the same price (for the used), I'm also getting a full-blown inernal sound module as well, regardless if I use it or not. the action feels quite nice too.

I have also tested the M-Audio & CME offerings and in
    my personal opinion they are not worth the money -
    even though they are cheap (possibly because they
    are cheap ;-)

But I guess piano-keyboard touch is a highly personal
    thing where everyone has his/her own taste...

Tobias

Go Back to forum