• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Coming Home

Share/Bookmark

Smile Coming Home

Hey Everyone,
    Long time no post. I've been working on the Water Fay Suite for some time now. Not having to much luck with it at the moment. But, I took a break from that and finished up my, No Title in C Major. Which is now called: Coming Home.

It's the last link in orange, here:
    http://music.philipyon.com

And it's longer than two minutes! lol

Take care,
    Philip
    Philip
    "Imagination is nostalgia for the past, the absent; it is the liquid solution in which art develops the snapshot of reality.
    ~ Cyril Connolly"

Re: Coming Home

Boy, this is very nice. Nothing sounds intentional to me(I think thats a good thing). I think it has a very natural, calming feel to it. Did I say it is very nice?.
    -Jay

Hey Jay,
    Thanks for the crit'. I'm still not sure about the ending and the piano part. Also, maybe the second build-up could be a little bit different that the first? It sounded alright when I skecthed it out, but now I think it could use something.

Thank you for listening!
    -Philip
    Philip
    "Imagination is nostalgia for the past, the absent; it is the liquid solution in which art develops the snapshot of reality.
    ~ Cyril Connolly"

This is a dreamlike and truly enchanting piece!
    The instruments blend well with each other. The piano is a bit of a surprise at first, but then it continues smoothly.
    I would like to hear more...

Yudit

Hi Yudit!
    Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. I'm wondering if the piano was a good suprise or a bad one? lol
    -Philip
    Philip
    ~ Cyril Connolly"

Very nice, I like it!

And, this is the right melody for the end of this day for me... .

Thank you for this nice piece!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi Philip,

This is beautiful. There is a wonderful build-up in the first half. Some parts were very evocative of Copland's work, though with a dramatic filmscore twist. The rest was also very good-sounding dramatic filmscore (excellent symphonic brass writing in there). It's easy to tell you've paid attention to the nuances of rendering with the gentle swells and natural phrasing present in the piece.

Great positioning in space overall. Like you, I'm not super-thrilled by the piano part either, and I think it largely has to do with the reverb on it that makes it sound muddy. You might also try adding some (muted) razor-thin, very high, very quiet sustained strings above that section of the piece to give the piano some surrounding color.

Might I ask what reverb this is running through?

Best,
    Reegs

It is nicely orchestrated and real pretty.

It reminded me of Aaron Copland's music but more cinematic. It has that americana feel to it as I'm sure you intended.

Phil

Good Evening Everyone,

Thanks Gunther! Take care.

Hey Reegs,
    Yeah, I'm glad you agree about the piano. I am anxious to remove it. But I will try the strings as you suggested first. That might do it. And the reverb is pretty heavy. I think it's called, Nemesys. Maybe I should use the reverb in Sonar ( Sonitus? ). I've used it before and it wasn't too bad. At least worth trying. Thank you very much for the input. Very very helpful!

Hello Phil,
    Yes, I've been listening to quite a bit of Copland, along with John Williams, Trevor Jones and Michael Kamen. Ahh man, Kamen was a master.

Now it's time for tweaking that piano part. lol
    -Philip
    Philip
    ~ Cyril Connolly"

Hi Philip,

Very beautiful writing!

Coplandesque, yes, but different...generally thicker, more-filled in voicings, I think.

The reverb is quite sumptuous in spots, though the piano sounds a little too distant, and I think the piano velocities are a bit too high for the line you are trying to get across.

The final note was quite a surprise. It works, just not expected. Is that a trombone, trombone & viola?

I would love to hear this live.

Thanks,
    Darwin

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast