• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Topic: JABB Sax Fluffy Ballad

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    JABB Sax Fluffy Ballad

    I'm finishing up with some pretty involved CMB concert band projects, so thought I'd take a bit of a break to clear my brain with something a little different. I haven't tried out the JABB alto sax sounds much, especially from a "featured solo" standpoint, so I thought I'd give one of 'em a try.

    So, here's my weekend project; just a simple, pop-ish melody fleshed out a little bit. Thanks for listening!

    (JABB alto sax, GPO strings, and some old Roland and Korg sounds)

    http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/saxballad.mp3

  2. #2

    Re: JABB Sax Fluffy Ballad

    That's really nice, Mr. Danny, and pretty also. You did a fine job on the orchestration and the rendering. Thanks for posting your fine music.

    The high frequencies in the upper range of the alto sax are a bit hard on the ears. It's shrill and just not the best sounding area of the alto's range, in my opinion.

    Regards,

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,015

    Re: JABB Sax Fluffy Ballad

    A really nice sound and mix on this pretty smooth jazz piece.

    It sounds like it would work well for a video production.


    Phil

  4. #4

    Re: JABB Sax Fluffy Ballad

    Hi, Danny

    Beautiful music beautifully recorded--Hard to beat that for a winning combination.

    I wonder how this would sound with the Soprano Sax instead of the Alto? - Larry's comment about the shrillness didn't surprise me. Perhaps this is too long sustained in the higher octave for the Alto?

    But really, such an accomplished, satisfying composition and realization of it.

    Hearing this reminds me once again of how I often think that the supposed "fluff" (your word--not mine) and tossed-off writing can be the most successful, the most able to reach an audience.

    Musicians can tend to denigrate pieces their old professors would have snorted at as "too pop" and plebeian - I hope you don't do that. This piece you posted is doing the job music "should" do, I feel--and that is to touch the audience's emotions in some way. It does that wonderfully well.

    Thanks!

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  5. #5

    Re: JABB Sax Fluffy Ballad

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    That's really nice, Mr. Danny, and pretty also. You did a fine job on the orchestration and the rendering. Thanks for posting you fine music.

    The high frequencies in the upper range of the alto sax is a bit hard on the ears. It's shrill and just not the best sounding area of the alto's range, in my opinion.

    Regards,

    Larry

    Hi Larry,
    Thanks for listening and your comments!

    I do agree, the alto gets a bit "harsh up there. I was going for that upper register "saxopohone rock star sound" and probably could soften it up a bit with eq.

  6. #6

    Re: JABB Sax Fluffy Ballad

    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    A really nice sound and mix on this pretty smooth jazz piece.

    It sounds like it would work well for a video production.


    Phil
    Hi Phil,

    Thanks very much! Glad you enjoyed listening.

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser
    Hi, Danny

    Beautiful music beautifully recorded--Hard to beat that for a winning combination.

    I wonder how this would sound with the Soprano Sax instead of the Alto? - Larry's comment about the shrillness didn't surprise me. Perhaps this is too long sustained in the higher octave for the Alto?

    But really, such an accomplished, satisfying composition and realization of it.

    Hearing this reminds me once again of how I often think that the supposed "fluff" (your word--not mine) and tossed-off writing can be the most successful, the most able to reach an audience.

    Musicians can tend to denigrate pieces their old professors would have snorted at as "too pop" and plebeian - I hope you don't do that. This piece you posted is doing the job music "should" do, I feel--and that is to touch the audience's emotions in some way. It does that wonderfully well.

    Thanks!

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thanks for such a positive response on this, Randy. You're right, a soprano sax would be a good choice here also; as I wrote in my response to Larry, though, I was trying to see of I could get that edgy "rock star saxophone" thing happening a little bit with a JABB alto (should've turned down his mic!). I'll give my tired ears a rest and probably re-EQ it some at a later time.

    And I agree about "fluff" -- an off-handed description, but just apt for the style (not the effort!) compared to what I've been immersing myself in compositionally lately. Hopefully, any emotional impact it may have on an audience would be at least equal in its scope. And, truth be told, this is "more my style" than other things I've done lately -- just broadening my horizons!

    Thanks again, Randy (hope Dorian is still coming along!).

  7. #7

    Re: JABB Sax Fluffy Ballad

    Hello again, Danny

    Yeah, I noticed your reply to Larry about the "shrillness" in the Sax. I understand what you were going for there.

    Have you experimented with cc#18? It's the Flutter Tongue/Growl effect in JABB. WARNING: Use with caution. It doesn't sound quite what I'd expect, being a bit more of a static sound - However, I've found that with judicious use as a Continuous controller ie: swooping it up a bit here and there, but mostly keeping it Off- it can result in a nice touch of that hot jazz Sax sound you were going for.

    Worth a try, if you haven't already experimented with it.

    "Dorian" goes very well, thanks for asking! I'll soon be posting the Finale of Act One - I'm looking forward to having you and the rest of the Garritan Gang hear it.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  8. #8

    Re: JABB Sax Fluffy Ballad

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello again, Danny

    Yeah, I noticed your reply to Larry about the "shrillness" in the Sax. I understand what you were going for there.

    Have you experimented with cc#18? It's the Flutter Tongue/Growl effect in JABB. WARNING: Use with caution. It doesn't sound quite what I'd expect, being a bit more of a static sound - However, I've found that with judicious use as a Continuous controller ie: swooping it up a bit here and there, but mostly keeping it Off- it can result in a nice touch of that hot jazz Sax sound you were going for.

    Worth a try, if you haven't already experimented with it.

    "Dorian" goes very well, thanks for asking! I'll soon be posting the Finale of Act One - I'm looking forward to having you and the rest of the Garritan Gang hear it.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hi Randy,

    We think alike! (at least, on this one ) -- I had fully intended to experiment around with the "growl", but it just totally slipped my mind (my very tired mind!)when I was reaching the final stages of putting the tune together. Think I'll go back and mess with it some -- thanks for the reminder!

  9. #9

    Re: JABB Sax Fluffy Ballad

    This is indeed very pretty. Lovely melodies with smooth and delightful harmonies. Your arrangement is beautifully done. The strings providing a beautiful silver outline.... I think it is very romantic and melancholic at the same time. Simply outstanding. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

  10. #10

    Re: JABB Sax Fluffy Ballad

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    This is indeed very pretty. Lovely melodies with smooth and delightful harmonies. Your arrangement is beautifully done. The strings providing a beautiful silver outline.... I think it is very romantic and melancholic at the same time. Simply outstanding. Thank you.
    Thanks so much, Louis! Your "silver outline" description of the strings -- very cool !

    I appreciate you listening and taking the time to comment.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •